Connecticut > Ice Fishing Connecticut

Pike fishermen: Quick Strike Recommendations?

<< < (2/2)

bloodrunner:

--- Quote from: saxmatt on Nov 26, 2021, 09:10 PM ---I recommend not using them. I’ve seen big pike and muskie swallow both trebles and that’s a death sentence. Try a single 3/0-5/0 J hook or octopus hook.

--- End quote ---

^^^^ this

Man, Catching trophy pike is the goal every time we go out but having one deep hooked honestly takes some of the joy out of it. We mostly get them out and we take great care of them but I’m done with quick strike style rigs. We’ve tried to cut the hooks off the shank in extreme scenarios. If you must use them you need to set the hook fast on the fish. Too many times I’ve peaked out of the shanty last year and been like “oh crap how long has that been up”. Every one of those ended up being deep hooked, hate myself for those fish.

Going back to single circles this year. We fished them 1 season and did very well, never missed a fish and they were all hooked corner of the mouth or front of the mouth

stripernut:
In the UK where they do 99.9%, C&R for their pike often use Double Ryder hooks in a Quick Strike Rig Configuration and They have a very good survival rate with one nice pike that was caught at least 44 times... As mentioned, if I was going to sit in a shanty and not watch my tip-ups, then there is no point in using Quick-Strike Rigs... It kind of defeats the purpose, if you are not going to set the hook "quick!"...

FreshwaterPhil:
Tie your own quick strikes and leaders. Store bought stuff has failed in the past, and I'd rather use my own components.

Hooking:
Thanks for the feedback, guys. A lot of thoughtful points here. My main priority is C&R other than when stocked trout choke down my kids’ powerbait and become dinner, and that would certainly remain the priority if I came upon a pike. I don’t park in a tent and keep a small radius of tip-ups but either way your points made me rethink using such an aggressive setup.

kpd145:

--- Quote from: saxmatt on Nov 26, 2021, 09:10 PM ---I recommend not using them. I’ve seen big pike and muskie swallow both trebles and that’s a death sentence. Try a single 3/0-5/0 J hook or octopus hook.

--- End quote ---

100% agree, I have fished for pike for years, I have never had to use a quick strike, I just use a regular hook with a normal leader, I do not use steel leader for pike either.

If you are using GIANT baits, well maybe, but around here, I have never felt the need for a quick strike, the risks do not outweigh the gains IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version