Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Smelt

eating smelts

<< < (2/3) > >>

DR.SPECKLER:
I make a cut half way at a angle with scissors behind the head then run scissor from anus up to gills,grab head and pull down and it comes off with head and guts all in on motion.on real big smelt i freeze in water then rub the spine and ribs back and forth with my thumbs and the rip all the bones out in one pull.butterflied.cant do that fresh or it rips too muck meat out.has to be froze first.

smeltbuster:

--- Quote from: 3300 on Mar 09, 2020, 10:43 AM ---speedy chik uses a pair of scissors, run it up the out shoot and down to head then use thumb to slide guts out. always keeping the scissor in hand. didn't see them cooking them.

phil, sounds like a great time!

--- End quote ---
I have a friend that jokingly makes fun of me for smelt fishing. He is always bragging about 'Speedy Chicks" Smelt, (its a chicken place in Battle Creek & Marshall, Mich. ) . Anyways, I gave him a few Gull Lake Smelt a couple of weeks ago, & he called me the next day, swearing that he would never make fun of me again ! The Smelt in Gull are running on avg. 7"  this year,I have been butterflying them before cooking,so I can pull the backbones out. Added bonus, they get real crispy !

legend:
i grew up in vermont catching smelt, there is no need to take the bones out as cooking makes  them soft. try it you will see.

DR.SPECKLER:

--- Quote from: legend on Mar 22, 2020, 09:05 AM ---i grew up in vermont catching smelt, there is no need to take the bones out as cooking makes  them soft. try it you will see.

--- End quote ---
not on the big 8” plus smelt.plus i have diverticulitis so i have to pull the bones out.

slipperybob:

--- Quote from: DR.SPECKLER on Mar 22, 2020, 09:11 AM ---not on the big 8” plus smelt.plus i have diverticulitis so i have to pull the bones out.

--- End quote ---

There is definitely more meat on an 8" plus size smelt.  The big ones are also generally the females and they also have a nice sized roe.

Anyway as per topic.  I like to give a light flour dusting and deep fry or seasoning and bake on a rack in the oven for not so oily.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version