Canada > Ice Fishing Manitoba

COMING NORTH OF THE BORDER DURING WINTER WARNINGS!!!

<< < (5/5)

Gunflint:

--- Quote from: fishinjohn on Dec 19, 2019, 04:33 AM ---Cold is cold.. doesn't matter if its 0° f or -40°c..

--- End quote ---

This is not true.

Growing up in Minnesota, what I consider to be "cold" starts at -20, anything warmer is just "winter."

At -20 the snow begins to squeek under your boots, that doesn't happen at -10. There is a noticeable difference in how one must dress and how things begin not to work.

At -40 there is another level of cold where things begin to break that won't at -20. Cars and other equipment act differently. Engines that are reliable to -20 simply don't work. Oil in the crankcases hardens and the world is different. If you are not prepared, you may suffer the consequences. Anybody that thinks -40 is the same as 0 degrees is silly, or perhaps "lucky."

At -50 there is another change (NOT windchill, but REAL -50) I have only lived it a couple times in my life. You spit and you cannot have it NOT freeze before hitting the ground. In addition to all of the above (on steroids) you cannot take deep breaths directly, better through a scarf or long fur hood. If you are not dressed properly , you can die.

If you are dressed properly, it can be wonderful. Whenever it is "cold" it is also a clear blue cloudless sky, the snow glitters and sparkles.
Cold weather is not depressing. Life is Harsh but Optimistic!  But only if you are dressed for it

Apparently, there are other issues at even lower temperatures, but I have not experienced them.

Seamonkey84:
-40 is where F and C meet, it is the temp most synthetic materials fail if not it’s designed to withstand those temps, jackets can rip like they’re made of paper.  On the plus side, your fish will freeze solid and thaw out still nice and firm, not mushy like from your home freezer.

Gunflint:

--- Quote from: Seamonkey84 on Dec 19, 2019, 10:44 AM ----40 is where F and C meet, it is the temp most synthetic materials fail if not it’s designed to withstand those temps, jackets can rip like they’re made of paper.  On the plus side, your fish will freeze solid and thaw out still nice and firm, not mushy like from your home freezer.

--- End quote ---

I was catching Crappies in a stiff wind in the open at -40 (I was young, poor, and dedicated) and they would flop one and a half times - then go stiff.

So cold we put our bare hands on the glass of a 2 mantle Coleman lantern and it was only barely warm.

Now I am old, less poor and still dedicated enough to fish the cold from inside my nice heated shanty.  ;D

icefishman:
Today I got called into work (Natural gas well production) due to cold causing issues. It was -5f when I left my house in Northern lower Michigan. Coldest I’ve ever seen was -32f here. Due to Fuzzyfishnuts post I wanna come up there even more now and try it out. See you soon (hopefully)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version