Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Bass

Help finding bigger bass

<< < (3/3)

Ramp 23:
I`ve had consistant catches of largemouth bass on silver 3/8 or 1/2 ounce kastmasters with a white marabou tail.  I look for long rocky bars on points leading to shallow ( 5' ) coves. Their usally somewhere on that  bar, depending on many things. As you get into late ice they seem to move onto flats with weeds in 10' or so. Being quite on the ice & waiting 30 min. or so after drilling makes a differance with mature fish. They spook easily, but young small males don`t. Tipping with mealworms sometimes helps. :)

mr tip up:

--- Quote from: tightline45 on Jan 28, 2013, 05:48 PM ---Hey fellas.  I'm up here in Montana and dontt have a problem finding the bass.  I just cant find the bigger fish.  The body of water I fish is 20 at the deepest.  I can go out and catch 10 - 15 bass a day but cant get anything over a pound and a half.  I know they get much bigger in there because i regularly catch them in the summer time.  I have an underwater cam and use it to find the fish.  There is a ton of structure in the reservoir but the vegetation dies off in the winter time.  We can not use live bait here in Montana.  I was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice in finding some bigger fish.

--- End quote ---
                                                                           tightline if theres any spring in that lake try fishing them(make sure the ice is safe)the water is a little warmer there and try to find green weeds   and is there a good population of bigger bass in the lake

missoulafish:
TL45, keep popping holes and keep moving until you find fish.  Don't worry about the bait, it doesn't matter. Just like any big fish, there are less of them so it's going to take more effort. It takes a long time to make big bass here too.

stripernut:
Don't be afraid of fishing shallow, my best bass through the ice was in 4ft of water (8.3lbs) and I rarely fish much deeper than 10ft. Also, the past couple years I have been having great luck with Chubby Darters...

Whopper Stopper:
I have had terrible luck fishing bass with tip ups. I get plenty of flags but they just seem to drop the bait after the initial hit. In retrospect, jigging with Darters, and similar type baits has paid off much better. As far as finding ol bucketmouth goes, that's a time on the water thing. Eventually you will find the combination to put you in the right areas. Just go about your searches with an open mind.

WS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version