Author Topic: new to fileting yellow perch  (Read 2793 times)

Offline evanesce

• IceShanty Rookie
new to fileting yellow perch
« on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:00 AM »
I just filleted around 50 perch for the first time.  I noticed that below the ribcage is another round of bones, then a little more fleshy meat below that.  When you properly filet these, do you keep or discard the little flesh below the ribcage?  I can't figure out a good way to salvage that meat. 

Suggestions appreciated!

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: new to fileting yellow perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:50 PM »
I don't usually bother removing those.  When they are fried you won't notice them.
Shut up and fish.

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:29 PM »
There are small bones along the lateral line, basically tiny y-bones like in a pike or walleye.  Start cutting around the ribs and just cut through these "y-bones" then finish filleting meat off ribs.  I finish by removing the fillet at the pectoral fin, leaving a strip of belly meat from the pectoral fins down to the anal fin, about a 1/4"-1/2" wide.  Some people "butterfly" them and keep that belly meat and leave both fillets attached.  The tiny y-bones that are left in the fillet will soften up when you fry them, you shouldn't even notice them on all but the largest of the perch.  Might want to check out youtube, there are probably videos on there that will help you out.

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2012, 07:04 PM »
 http://www.ehow.com/how_4887840_use.electric-fillet-knife.hmtl
about the best description and pictures i've found.   after that, practice until you get it right.

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2012, 10:57 AM »
I don't usually bother removing those.  When they are fried you won't notice them.

X2 i don't take them out either have never noticed them when they are cooked.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.