Author Topic: To Spring Bobber or Not??  (Read 12456 times)

Offline fhsww48

• IceShanty Rookie
To Spring Bobber or Not??
« on: Nov 02, 2005, 10:48 AM »
I am busy rounding up stuff to start my second ice fishing career. Back in the 70's we jigged spring bobber rods for bluegill, perch and crappie. The spring bobber sort of revolutionized panfishing back then. Now I see super thin carbon and graphite rods along with $50 spring bobber rods. Do you rely on feel with the graphite? Are they as visually sensitive as spring bobbers? Whats your opinion for adequate panfish rods? Thanks

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: To Spring Bobber or Not??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2005, 11:10 AM »
I hate spring bobber, but I love them.  Frabill has a new panfish popper spring bobber that plugs right into the last eye of the rod and from everyone I have talked to that has used them, they love them.  I am going to stick with my cheap HT rods and toss on one of those.
Those spaghetti noodle looking rods are pretty nice, I have a cousin with a few.  I just can't justify the price. 

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2005, 11:58 AM »
I love spring bobbers, the lightest finicky fish will be seen nibbling the hook.  Granted sometimes that fish is as small as my pinkie but still it is a fish.  I have had a problem seeing the spring bobber in the clam2000, the tip of the spring bobber is black and blends into the shack walls, so i just painted the spring bobbers with the neon paint from WalMart and i can now see the tip better :o.
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2005, 03:37 PM »
many anglers use spring bobbers for light hitting fish like crappie, perch, and lake trout. Sometimes they get tangled in the line and on the tip of the rod but it is all about how you put it on.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2005, 03:57 PM »
If you haven't seen those frabill spring bobbers, check them out.  The only place I have found that sells them is Dicks in NY.  They are just like the ones Thorne Bros makes, only they ar supposed to fit almost any rod. 

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2005, 04:22 PM »
I think spring bobbers interfere with certain jigging motions and hooksets. However I know how light many perch, crappie, gills and lake trout can hit. But if you have sonar, I don't think you need spring bobbers. But I would carry them just in case and if you find they work for you, use them.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2005, 06:13 PM »
 I never use spring bobbers i make my own noodle rods. they are all fiberglass and so soft that even a # 16 tear drop makes em bend. The ones in the picture are about 30 " rods. but i have some short ones to use in the trap.

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2005, 08:43 PM »
In the picture i have bent the rods in half and put the tip thru the hole in the reel the line goes thru.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2005, 09:38 PM »
Love them for panfish, but I make my own.

Offline fhsww48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2005, 11:47 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the springs are the things for panfish anyways. Going to save my money and invest in some electronics as far as the custom rods are concerned. Ice dude those noodles are very interesting. One of the things that attracts me with ice fishing is the inventiveness shown by most of us.The creativity tends to extend the season thru the warm months.

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2005, 08:39 PM »
If you ever come to Indiana let me know and you can check one out. I'll give you a deal if you like it, just for been a member of this great site.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2005, 09:53 AM »
Spring bobbers serve two good purposes, I think.  One is strike detection - a properly adjusted spring bobber shows the strike better than any noodle rod or float.  Only linewatching or sight fishing are better for shear strike detection.  The second use of a spring bobber is the "smoothing" effect it will put on your jigging motion - you can put moves on a jig that look much smoother with a spring bobber - basically a dampening device.  I think they can be a great tool in certain situations at certain times of year.  I always carry at least one spring bobber rod with me.  Plastics and spring bobbers?  Killer.

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2005, 10:04 PM »
  The second use of a spring bobber is the "smoothing" effect it will put on your jigging motion - you can put moves on a jig that look much smoother with a spring bobber - basically a dampening device. 

That is why i make my rods the length that they are and as flexible as they are. I have seen some guys do real good on a spring but, i have more confidence in my rods.

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2005, 10:03 PM »
Ice Dude, i have been looking at rod blanks and wondered what type of fiberglass is that you use for your noodle rods and also if you buy it where do you get the rods?  Thanks for the info.
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2005, 04:04 AM »
I love spring bobbers/strike indicators. I've fished with guys with noodle rods and have outfished them every time. Mind you I'm using the ultra sensitive Marmish system. I also use sometimes size 22 hooks. So many times I've watched my indicator/bobber rise and thats when I set the hook. If you wait for your bobber to drop then yes a noodle rod would serve. Some times all I see is my bobber rise a bit then drop back to normal position. I've watched fish on my Aqua-Vu flare their gills and the jig swings into their mouth and they can spit it out very quickly without you even noticing anything happened. I've made a springbobber once out of a few strands of horse hair. A rod tip just can't match the sensitivity of horse hair. Obviously though if I was fishing with live minnows I wouldn't be using a spring bobber. My 2 cents for what its worth ;D

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2005, 09:38 AM »
a "good" noodle rod will come up or down depending on how the fish bite. It all really has to do with how well you are watching and know the rod.
 I was at gander mountain the other night looking at ice gear and saw some very sensitive spring bobbers. they were on those new popper rods. they really did have a nice feel to them, but i will keep useing my rods.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2005, 09:57 AM »
I was at gander mountain the other night looking at ice gear and saw some very sensitive spring bobbers. they were on those new popper rods. they really did have a nice feel to them, but i will keep useing my rods.
You can buy the spring bobbers seperately that are on the popper rods.  I plan on doing most of my rods with them.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2005, 01:41 PM »
Bought a Thorne Bros. spring bobber last year and custom fit it to one of my favorite ice rods. Just needed a bit of rubber and some glue. Worked great on all panfish, especially those pesky deep water crappies!  Also have used Schoolie type for years, but lately they have been mostly used as my deadstick rigs. I drill a hole through the plastic handle, and use a piece of broken rod (10-12") to make a T configuration. That way if a monster hits, and the rigs are spread out, you won't lose them. Took my best perch last year on one of these, a robust 14 incher. Seems like the best fish like to attack whatever rod isn't in your hand.

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Yeh ,spring bobber always.On the first ice u can get away without it, MAYBE. My favorite are made from lavsan.They really soft, good in low temperatures and perfect for moormyshka jigs sizes 2-4mm.Thats the way i do it for many years.

Offline valleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2005, 07:32 PM »
I just last season met Greg Wilcynski (I think thats how he spells it),  nice fella from Poland who helped design the St Croix legend ice rods.  The spring bobber attachment on my ultralight made it possible to detect the littlest nibbles.  My catch rate increased tremendously.  Although the rod cost and arm and a leg $50.00!  It is still worth it. The bobber itself is adjustable and can be replaced. Frabill is coming out with their version but I think I will purchase one more from StX.  I can't see myself jiggin without it.  Now all I need is to find me some original Mormishkas/Mormyshkas or however you spell it.

:)
'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'Fish of the Day'

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2005, 07:40 AM »
Yeh ,spring bobber always.On the first ice u can get away without it, MAYBE. My favorite are made from lavsan.They really soft, good in low temperatures and perfect for moormyshka jigs sizes 2-4mm.Thats the way i do it for many years.

(Image removed from quote.)

Heh Ltboy. I've fished with that style rod before. The styrofoam is nice and warm on the palm.
Russian right? I also have very similar springbobbers. I got mine in Latvia. Thanks for the memories ;D

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2005, 04:19 PM »
Mine is from Lithuania ;D Had it for long time.That rod seen a lot of fish, back home and here.

trapperdirk

« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2005, 04:59 PM »
Now TGF what are you fishing that you need such a sensitive approach to detect a strike in B.C. Canada of all places . ???

TD

trapperdirk

« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2005, 06:58 PM »
Geez trapperdirk maybe he thought he was fishing in COLORADO for those finicky trout by mistake ??? :roflmao: :unsure:

Ssssshhhhhh Slipbob . ROTFLMAO . I was waiting for that to be mentioned but hoping TGF tells us a new line of thought . ;D  ;D ;D

TD

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2005, 08:34 PM »
Ssssshhhhhh Slipbob . ROTFLMAO . I was waiting for that to be mentioned but hoping TGF tells us a new line of thought . ;D  ;D ;D

TD

Trapper and Slipbob,

I would be glad to show you the light biting finicky mackinaw of this state. Come visit Colorado in Winter someday and fish Ruedi or Taylor Reservoirs and see for yourself how light they hit and the lack of suspended fish.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

trapperdirk

« Reply #25 on: Nov 22, 2005, 12:59 AM »
Ok gentlemen were going to contain ourselves and drop the sniping for a bit, OK .?

Now I do hope TGF comes and hits this thread again because I truly am interested in what he's fishing for using such a light and sensitive system in B.C.. I'm thinking in one way that its herring or something for bait but all species have their moments and that includes lakers but Terry has me wondering .

TD

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 22, 2005, 07:30 AM »
For 10 bucks you can't go wrong with Frabill's panfish popper rods.The only problem I have with them is fishing crappie.Crappie tend to move up wards with your bait, so I'm mostly watching the line not the bobber.When fish are neutral, the bobber is a perfect tool to watch those picky fish peck at your waxie.

Tip-uptwo
Andrew

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 22, 2005, 10:00 AM »
I'm baaaaaaack, been lurking but mostly too busy @ work but have been getting ready f/ ice since end of August. Former Bottom Bouncer here @ IS. My problem with springs is it is too cold and would have them totally iced up ,we have trouble keeping the top eye on our rods open if they are too small. Well normally it's too cold , had ice for a few days but now it's gone . hoping to get out first ice Dec.3rd. I hope,I hope,I hope.
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 22, 2005, 12:17 PM »
For 10 bucks you can't go wrong with Frabill's panfish popper rods.The only problem I have with them is fishing crappie.Crappie tend to move up wards with your bait, so I'm mostly watching the line not the bobber.When fish are neutral, the bobber is a perfect tool to watch those picky fish peck at your waxie.

Tip-uptwo
for $4.99, you can now get a 3 pack of Popper spring bobbers that will just plug into to the tip eye of most rods.  They look similar to Thorne Bros spring bobbers. 

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 22, 2005, 12:45 PM »
ive been concentrating on tight line fishing but it is so much easier with the camera down the hole at first i thought cameras took the sport out of jigging until i used one it is so much more exciting watching what works while jigging and what doesnt.  I also was surprised by how long a fish will have a jig in front of its nose and just suspend there and not do anything for extended periods of time i once had a small perch with my jig about an inch and a half away from his nose and not bite it for about ten minutes. ( by the way that perch never did hit the jig and swam away but it was cool watching it.)
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.