Author Topic: Favorite mitts / gloves?  (Read 1276 times)

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
Favorite mitts / gloves?
« on: Dec 03, 2022, 12:26 PM »
I usually don't fish in a shelter.  I have glove/ mitt things (convertible mitt / glove) but they are a coarse knitted exterior, get wet easily and hooks hang up on them easily.

Wondering what others use? 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Favorite mitts / gloves?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2022, 01:48 PM »
I use surgical Latex gloves under a pair of Nitrile breathables  (Memphis BNF Ninja brand). Works well on those not so cold days, stay relatively dry and can leave them on for tying jigs too. If my hands do get cold, I can slide on a pair of leather outer/fleece lined mittens to warm them up.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2022, 01:48 PM »
I use to run the fleece convertible fold over ones for years.  Yeah getting easy hooked sometimes is aggravating.  I just got some Simms Goretex convertible fold over ones last year.  It has that little back pocket so the flipped over mitts don't hang up.  Pretty slick and much more functional.  Used them for some spring fishing too and worked out great too.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2022, 02:25 PM »
I bought a pair of the Simms a couple seasons ago.  I bought them based on their sizing chart.  They fit fine once I have them on, but getting them on and off is a struggle.  Wish I'd have bought a size larger!

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2022, 03:17 PM »
Nylon/leather/Thinsulate mitten with a pair of wool glove inserts. Nothing keeps you warmer than this combo. Easy to take off and on, and if the liners get wet, they’ll still insulate, or are easily changed out. I don’t remember where I got the mittens, but the liners were Surplus and inexpensive.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2022, 04:30 PM »
Windstopper fleece fingerless gloves, some with the "flip-over" mit for the really cold days. If they get soaked they dry out fast after you wring them out (still able to retain heat when wet). Much warmer than wool and wool lets the wind blows through the knit. I still use a pair I got from Orvis when they came out about 25 years ago... I will say they are starting to get tired... I have a pair of Simm Windstopper, but dam they make Orvis look cheap.  I also have a few knock-off pairs and they are OK. I keep a heavy pair of gloves that can fit over them when working with the auger as that steel sure can suck the heat out of you. If it is super bitter out I will put on a thin pair of Nitrile palmed work gloves under the fingerless to keep the fingertips warm. That is when it is getting down to the teens. This year I have a few battery hand warmers that look like they will do a great job.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2022, 05:34 PM »
These work for me.

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2022, 09:58 PM »
These work for me.

What brand are these?

Offline Pahardwoods

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2022, 12:47 AM »
I have a pair of blackfish Arid waterproof gloves, they are pretty warm aren’t bulky and being waterproof is extremely helpful for keeping my hands warm

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2022, 12:57 AM »
I wear the Simms wool fingerless gloves, but hooks can get stuck in them pretty easy.

They are pretty warm in colder weather.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2022, 03:31 AM »
 I had a pair of glacier gloves (neoprene)warm and very sensitive , now there are several choices on the market
 I use to get military wool glove liners

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2022, 05:39 AM »
These work for me.

Yup with hand warmers in them.. ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2022, 06:25 AM »
The military wool glove inserts have always worked for me, there cheap too! I wear the green while hunting, black while fishing.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2022, 09:31 AM »
You're going to get alot of different answers for this question...some of it depends on how you're fishing (tip-ups vs. jigging) and how cold is "really cold" for your area?

Best combo that I've found w/ mitts (*not jigging*) is some kind of waterproof, windproof, insulated mitt (like HT Ent) & fingerless fleece gloves (BPS makes a great pair for cheap)...when it's "really cold", you can drop a handwarmer in the bottom of the mitt.  This way, you retain almost full use of your fingers (when needed) and otherwise they are kept warm & flexible in the mitts.  The fingerless fleece gloves are awesome & they really do help preserve your fingers when working out in the cold for short periods - cheap enough to get 2 pairs in case 1 accidentally gets wet.  Easy on/easy off.  I also use this combo when traveling on ice to my destination to keep my fingers warm for jigging.

For jigging, I like Atlas Thermal work gloves (the gray ones).  They're great work gloves for yard work (or any other outside work)...they keep my hands reasonably warm...and the latex palms help alot w/ handling fish..but the backs are wool which allows good breathability.  Only drawback is that my feel drops while wearing these gloves (vs bare hands or fingerless fleece gloves)....but it's still better than ski gloves.  When it's really cold, I fish in a flip over or wear ski gloves...and then swing at everything that breathes on my jig like a crazy man, lol.  I buy the work gloves by the dozen & keep them in the garage...much cheaper that way...seem to get more expensive every year....plus I always have an extra pair ready to go when I wear thru an old pair.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2022, 12:12 PM »
I also use rubber gloves- I use the nitrile mechanics ones, they are a bit tougher than latex. They add some warmth by keeping the wind off and your hands dry, and you can tie a know with them on. When I am not needing fingers, I use JokaTherm mittens- they are waterproof, and easy to shuck on and off when needed. They are my replacements for the old deerskin chopper mitts that are hard to find any more.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2022, 12:34 PM »
badger,
I put in a search for “deerskin chopper mitts” and came up with several options. They’re really not too hard to find!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2022, 12:51 PM »
My liner mittens, that I still have from the 70's, are so big that I have not found any new over mitts that will fit.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2022, 12:57 PM »
My liner mittens, that I still have from the 70's, are so big that I have not found any new over mitts that will fit.

Gotcha!

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2022, 01:02 PM »
I’ve been using these since a kid and I have learned to do some pretty delicate work with them on lol. I just picked up a new pair this fall Northstar men’s elk skin chopper mitten hundred G Thinsulate lined. I Used to be able to turn in a deer hide at the local tannery and get a pair like this.  I just looked and they’re $33 now!  :(

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2022, 03:22 PM »
Fish Monkey gloves

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2022, 04:18 PM »
I fish in a shack now most all the time so don't wear anything on my hands...........but before the shack I used to wear the wrist length wool or thinsulate lined mitts. I used to get them a little big and when I need to take them off I could just flick my hand downward and they would come off..............fast and easy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.