Author Topic: Lake trout rods/reels  (Read 14820 times)

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lake trout rods/reels
« on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:50 PM »
I'm in the market for a new laker rod just wondering what rod and reel combinations everyone is using? Besides that it is sad to see only one topic in this thread.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake trout rods/reels
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2013, 12:43 AM »
I use a 4.5' ugly stick light to jig with and I have 4, four foot Shakespeare fiberglass rods to use in Ice Riggers. Everything with a Shamono reel and 10 lb super line and a 14 lb floro leaders.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2013, 01:01 AM »
I'm also in the market for a setup. I fish Vermont's NEK for lakers. Recommendations for in a shanty? Baitcast vs spinning? Last year I used a 30" medium heavy with a Shimano 2000 series reel and it was sometime pretty sketchy bringing up one out of deep water...
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2013, 03:20 PM »
I have been looking into the 36" clam mackinaw and the st croix 36" bait caster models and was going to match it up with a okuma bait caster with tuff line 25 lb braid and 20 lb floro leader.

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:31 PM »
the rod i have used to jig for them (yet to actually get one to stay hooked) is a 34" st croix baitcaster with an old basspro baitcast reel spooled with 10# power pro, 20 feet of 10# silver thread on top and a leader of 20# flouro or wire for the pike i usually use it for also. jigs those one ounce airplanes and 5/8 darters like a champ!
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:02 AM »
I have been looking into the 36" clam mackinaw and the st croix 36" bait caster models and was going to match it up with a okuma bait caster with tuff line 25 lb braid and 20 lb floro leader.
Since you have decided on a casting rod vs spinning, I will recommend you get a round reel rather than a bass reel.  The line guide opening is much wider on round reels compared to bass reels and that is always the first thing to get iced up.  I'd say 5600 or 6600 Abu C4 depending on how much line you need on the spool.

I still want to recommend you look at a spinning combo.  I've forced myself to use a casting combo for a few years and definitely missed out on fish because of it.  Cons outweighed the pros for me, so I don't mess around with it anymore.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:43 AM »
I have been looking into round models not bass style I was also looking into the 38" spinning model but am worried about putting a bigger spinning reel on a small rod like that. I'm more worried about the weight than anything.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2013, 11:15 AM »
sense we are talking rods/reels
what is every body's thought on ''swish rods''
seen them on line and they look sturdy
looking to use it at Baraga bay  in jan/feb or wen its good ice cover
for lake trout

SnoHam13

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2013, 11:36 AM »
I'm also in the market for a setup. I fish Vermont's NEK for lakers. Recommendations for in a shanty? Baitcast vs spinning? Last year I used a 30" medium heavy with a Shimano 2000 series reel and it was sometime pretty sketchy bringing up one out of deep water...
I use solid fiberglass 34'' rods with baitcaster reels.  I connected two 2x4's and drilled a hole the size of the rod but through them and mounted them to the shanty wall.  I like the baitcaster reels that have the switch that allows the reel to "click" when line is being spooled out, so I know when there is a bite if i'm not next to the rod.  Works great for burbot while sleeping also.  Here is a picture :)

If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2013, 09:44 PM »
A prerequesite for me when jigging for lakers is a longer rod.  A short rod doesn't allow me to take very long lifts with my jigs or spoons that I am jigging with.  A longer rod allows for a much longer upstroke giving whatever lure or jig you are using longer "flutter" time.  All this being said, I don't fish in shantys much where a longer rod may not be adviseable due to obstructions.  I have a 40" MH rod that I use and would probably jump to a 48" rod if I were to purchase a new one.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2013, 07:00 PM »
I run 3 different laker rods.
    I really like the 36" Jason Mitchell Mackinaw rod for the way they fight a big fish, but find the tip section is too fast for the heavy 1-1.5oz jigs I use. I don't seem to hook up with as many with this rod, unfortunately.
    I own a 38"Frabill Meathunter Laker rod but find it is too whippy for jigging lake trout at 100+ feet deep. Would make a great rod for dead sticking a big sucker/shiner though. Works alright in shallower water. Great walleye rod.
    My go to rod is a 34" fiberglass HT Ice Blues Trout rod. Really handles a BIG jig in deep water and handles big fish very nicely. Huge guides to help combat icing. Cheap too- only $9-11. Can't beat it for that money! I have caught my 2 biggest lakers on this rod and no problems at all with 11+ pound fish. It also works well inside my flip over being a bit shorter, I don't hit the roof as much as the other 2 on hook sets.
   All the rods have Shimano reels on them and run 10 pound PowerPro line and 10 or 15 pound test Seaguar Fluorocarbon
leader. No line stretch in deep water hook sets and you can almost feel the fish breath on your jig.

BIGJim223

Offline trouter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2013, 12:53 PM »
I could never find a good laker rod so i made my own. Spinning rod handle from pack rod with a tip fron a ugly stick 5ft 10 with 3 iches cut off. Big tip and new guides. Works great. My reels are all old mitchell 308 with braid and floro leader. Never had any problems. Just need some ice and lakers.

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:19 PM »
I use solid fiberglass 34'' rods with baitcaster reels.  I connected two 2x4's and drilled a hole the size of the rod but through them and mounted them to the shanty wall.  I like the baitcaster reels that have the switch that allows the reel to "click" when line is being spooled out, so I know when there is a bite if i'm not next to the rod.  Works great for burbot while sleeping also.  Here is a picture :)

Wow, with a setup like that I would never leave the house! I have ordered the St. Croix 36" Premier MH and will mount it with a Pflueger President.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2013, 10:31 PM »
So I was out jigging for rainbows today in 10 fow. I was using my Dave genz split handle 28" ML action rod with a 1/50 oz jig. When I hooked into a nice Mack that proceeded to spool me twice (120 yards of 4 pound). The rod actually handled it better than I thought it would. Made for a great fight and a great story. Just after I took the pic of me releasing him while I was reviving him he actually spat up a six inch rainbow. He ended up going 29" and I'm guessing around 7 pounds. Anyways I guess the moral of the story is most rods will handle them it just takes patience and finesse. Enjoy the pics!

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2013, 06:59 PM »
massNtrash: nice fish!  That sound like the fight of a lifetime! Just goes to show that they will eat just about anything- a 1/50th oz jig must look like plankton to a fish that big!
  Congrats on landing that beauty on a rig like you were using!

BIGJim223

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2013, 08:27 PM »
My goto laker rig is a custom rod.

my back-up rig is a Frabill Ice hunter 38" heavy-duty ice combo.

Offline alcanron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Here are my go to laker rods. Two are heavy and one is medium heavy.  I also prefer the low profile reels on the rods. Easier to hold onto when jigging all day.

"There are many good fishermen and some great ones. But there is only one you." The Old Man and The Sea

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2014, 03:32 PM »
Picked up a 32" Clam MH and put an Okuma Stratus on it. Spooled with 20lb fireline crystal for that zero-stretch.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Here are my go to laker rods. Two are heavy and one is medium heavy.  I also prefer the low profile reels on the rods. Easier to hold onto when jigging all day.

What length are those rods? They look like Two Rivers Custom, I've seen them down here in Anch only in shorter lengths. I have a 32" M/H and a 42" H/ Three Rivers Custom that I use for Lakers and heavy pike jigging and want to add another 42" in a M/H...........3R upped their price by almost $20, getting spendy for what it is!!

Offline diamond jig 86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:17 PM »
Ht laker pro....ht big eye pro...and of course Thorne bros

Offline Short Shank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:46 PM »
I like my Wright and McGill Tony Roach Magnum 48 inch rod with an Abu spinning reel for jigging with 1/4 to 3/4 Oz jigs and Tony Roach Max 50 inch with Abu Baitclicker Baitcasters for dead sticking.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.