Author Topic: St. Croix Rods . Quality Control ?  (Read 2417 times)

trapperdirk

St. Croix Rods . Quality Control ?
« on: Oct 25, 2006, 08:19 PM »
Well I got my new St. Croix Legends and am pretty disappointed in their quality control even though I like the rods and spring bobber setup .

Now my issue is why is it that on every rod of the 4 there is something wrong with the alignment of the eyes . On one even the tip comes off . ??? So now because of all the probs in shipping  stuff back to the states I will have to get someone to rebind the eyes for me and will glue the tip on .

Too me this is very poor quality control on St. Croix's part especially since St. Croix has an established name for selling top quality rods . Also a couple of the springs are not straight yet is shipped in a protective case so obviously everything put in them was out of whack in the first place . I mean come on ST. Croix . One rod out of 4 would have been bad enough but all 4 in separate cases and different weights of rods . >:( I've also heard of this lately after I ordered that other folks got they'res  in likewise fashion . You won't get my thumbs up even if the rod is signed by Greg " the Prowler " because your quality control absolutely sucks . >:(

TD

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
Re: St. Croix Rods . Quality Control ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2006, 08:43 PM »
I bought 3 St. Croix rods last year and had problems with eye alignment.  I was right po'd and called them(names too).  I was told to twist the rod to align the eyes.  I did and it worked out well.  The tip guide could be another problem.  Glue it with epoxy, and you should be good to go.  For the buck that you put out for St. Croix rods, we should as consumers not have to do the repair work or check the QC!!!!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:04 PM »
Why do you think that store was selling them so cheap, TD?   ;D ;D
Ken                                          

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:05 PM »
Lets make that an even three, I also had issues with eye alingment on two of the 4 st croixs that I have. You think with there name and rep they may spend a bit more time on qualtiy

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:16 PM »
At a local Chain store  this year they had 3 St. Croix's left over from last yeah on all three the last Eye was twisted sidways. I just twisted it back and its been fine eso far. Ive only jigged a few gills up with it since :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

trapperdirk

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2006, 03:03 AM »
Well I did some twisting but think it's going to take a twist that busts these rods before I'm done . And Bean I got a much better deal on rods this year that had no issues and these ones from St . Croix cost plenty more and I personally don't think its a store issue but a ST. Croix one since the rods already came in their own marked tube . PO'ed I am and they will be the last ST. Croix's I ever purchase sight unseen . >:(

I partly took the plunge because I had good satisfaction when I recieved rods from other manufacturers and even the ones I don't keep because they don't suit my needs still are put together correctly and without eyes splayed in different directions like the St Croix's . I would have been better off with just blanks because some of these will have to have their eyes removed then reinstalled and that takes time . :-\

Not often I gripe but these, the way they are is a ripoff because of the very poorest of quality control I have ever to see on rods   . I like the rods themselves and the springs but geesh they must have been assembled by a cross eyed drunk because any ten year old blindfolded could assemble them straighter . The tip is a quick fix and I would not even have bothered mentioning it but with all of them also having eyes splayed like wings it just became another issue to dwell on .

When ordering ST. Croixs ask for them without the eyes attached and tell them you will do it yourself because these are a pass off for a lousy  joke at best . Almost funny to see really if it wasn't for the expectations one has when purchasing a St . Croix .

I was setting up to pull the trigger on a Thorne Bros anyways and will doubly so now . 7 rods this year already received with eyes etc properly aligned by Bobberstop,frabrill,HT and bad dogs . ST. Croix 0 for 4 . Geesh .

TD

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2006, 08:30 AM »
another joke about St.croix rods is the warranty, last year I had a pike catch me off guard and snap the tip off a UL rod. I called St. Croix and they told me to ship them to them along with a check for $10, teh n you wait for a month or so and you get it either fixed or replaced....With the cost of shipping the rod and the $10 fee to have it shipped back, I could have gone to the Bass Pro and bought a brand new rod and thrown the old one on the trash.

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2006, 09:17 AM »
I thought it was just me. I have two St. Croix rods and while the eyes seemed fine, one of the rods when you load it it twists. I dont know bad or misaligned blank? I use another site and if these posts were put there, we would all be burning on a cross. I have several thorne bros rods and they are all of the highest quality.
If it ain't cold, it ain't fishing

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2006, 01:26 PM »
Out of my 3 St. Croix Legends one tip needed tweeking and the other came off, I glued the tip back on with some rod builders stick glue. I also bought a St. Croix Avid 32" MH and it has the worst action I've ever seen, I think I'm going to chuck it out. Too bad Berkley stopped making the Genz Rods, $30.00 and never had any problems with the 4 I have. (Good Quality) I had the butt cap fall off my TB panfish sweetheart the first day I got it, nothing a little epoxy wouldn't fix. ;)

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2006, 06:24 AM »
Got my three rods but never opened them.  After I started reading this thread I went right down and opened the cases they came in.  I must have been one of the lucky ones cause all the eyes are lined up and I pulled and "jostled" all of the tips and everything was fine.  Sorry to hear about all the problems you guys are having.  Hope you get them resolved.  They feel like a pretty nice rod.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2006, 08:09 AM »
i ordered 3 rods from reeds, and one of them had messed up guides and one was extremely loose. So i sent it back to reeds and they are supposed to be sending me another one. :unsure:

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2006, 07:22 AM »
For the about the same $$ a Thorne Bros. is a much higher quality rod IMO. I own 4 of their ice rods and a 7 and a  half ft. live bait rod that are all still in great shape after several years of use, and I'm not a careful person by nature. I do have trouble with TB's spring bobbers freezing so I put the St. Croix springs on.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.