Author Topic: Hell's Bells!  (Read 3128 times)

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
Hell's Bells!
« on: Feb 06, 2020, 02:38 PM »
I've learned so much from this site, especially on the diy side for solving very specific challenges we face as ice fisherman.  I thought I would try to contribute and hopefully help somebody else.
Lots of talk about ice fishing at night and using bells on tip ups and deadsticks.  I thought I'd share a little diy setup that works for me.
Everybody has those double bell plastic clamps with the screw end that never fit on any pole you own. Plus not easy to take on and off in a hurry.
I ripped those apart by pulling the bell and spring off the plastic piece. Then went to the local craft store and found some alligator clips of the appropriate size.  A few spins of the spring to attach it to the hole in the end of the alligator clip and you're good to go.
They clip onto almost anything including rod tips and tip up flag holders of all kinds.  They also come off easily so you don't have to listen to them jingle while you fight the fish.  Easy, cheap, effective.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hell's Bells!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2020, 11:27 PM »
Those clips will damage the finish on your rod.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:22 AM »
The clips are very small. I clip them on the top eyelet not the rod itself.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2020, 06:00 AM »
If you are worried about pole damage wrap masking tap around it where the clamp would go and problem solved...….
      Kim :tipup: :thumbsup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Big Sky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2020, 10:15 AM »
Simply put heat shrink tubing on the alligator clip.

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2020, 12:10 PM »
I ordered these (or something exactly like them might have been a different brand):
https://www.amazon.com/Teenitor-Fishing-Installing-Sticks-Indicators/dp/B07TZFZTMX/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=clip+on+fishing+bells&qid=1581098967&sr=8-10

25 pack for like $7 and they work pretty well.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2020, 12:33 PM »
Nice!  I have not seen those.  They should work just fine too.

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2020, 02:18 PM »
Nice!  I have not seen those.  They should work just fine too.

I think I first saw them in a random video up in the video section. Someone using them on rods on jawjackers. Did a little amazon searching. I did order a 25 pack I do remember that. Just in case one fell off and got lost in snow. Always carry a few extra and then leave the main pack at home.

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.