Author Topic: Best Rod Reel combo for 1st time buyer  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Jaguarxjsport

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Rod Reel combo for 1st time buyer
« on: Jan 31, 2020, 03:09 AM »
Just asking to the forum, what is the best Rod Reel combo out there for ice fishing in Canada (Saskatchewan), 1st time buyer.
John
John in Lancashire , UK.

Offline Jaguarxjsport

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Best Rod Reel combo for 1st time buyer
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2020, 06:20 AM »
Thanks for that, I fish for lake trout inside an ice hut, so space is limited, I am after something that is decent and will last. I am hoping to return once a year to ice fish, so just I won’t want to break than bank on spending.
John in Lancashire , UK.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2020, 07:22 AM »
You don't necessarily have to settle on a paired combo that is already set up in the store or online, in fact I would advise against that.  Imo the reels that are paired with some of the rod n reel combos are subpar at best.  Better off buying each (rod and reel) separate so you know you have an all around nice setup that your happy with... my .02

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2020, 08:36 AM »
if you can find a HT polar gold medium 25, that is what i use. with a piscifun ice 5 reel. about 50 dollars. spool it with some pline fluoro

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HT-Polar-Gold-Ice-Spinning-Rod-25-M-PLG-25M/312802257683

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2020, 08:43 AM »
Amazon has some pretty good deals, I paired a Berkeley amp ice rod with a eagle claw reel for my son, it's a really nice setup for fairly cheap.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2020, 03:49 AM »
Amazon has some pretty good deals, I paired a Berkeley amp ice rod with a eagle claw reel for my son, it's a really nice setup for fairly cheap.

Can't speak for the ice rod,  but I use a Berkley Amp rod for jigging Walleye on the soft water. Good little rod for the money. Dicks and Field n Stream have an ice combo for $30. Not bad.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2020, 08:20 AM »
You don't necessarily have to settle on a paired combo that is already set up in the store or online, in fact I would advise against that.  Imo the reels that are paired with some of the rod n reel combos are subpar at best.  Better off buying each (rod and reel) separate so you know you have an all around nice setup that your happy with... my .02
I totally agree! I have reels that I really like so if I am looking to pickup a new rig I find the rod and then match it with the reel.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2020, 06:47 PM »
i like a baitcast set up for fishing lakers.  i've got a 36" jason mitchell spiral wrap rod with a pflueger low pro bait cast reel spooled up with 18lb suffix braid and a 4ft lead of 10-14lb fluoro.  find that set up much more comfortable on the arm/wrist than a spinning rig especially for long days jiggng in the shack.  rod and reel together were under $100.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2020, 08:36 AM »
Thanks for that, I fish for lake trout inside an ice hut, so space is limited, I am after something that is decent and will last. I am hoping to return once a year to ice fish, so just I won’t want to break than bank on spending.

The weak link in most combos are the reels ..start with a good reel ..something that you may be able to use in the open water season . After that the rod , based on the above reply , needs to be a certain length so you need to figure that out first ..some sales are sure to be going on now on both rod and reels . Next is line choice.. if fishing in a hut/shelter you can use braid..leader of fluorocarbon .   
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2020, 08:50 AM »

Lots of rod choices that won’t break the bank , for reels as already said ,pflueger president 25s are very good , try and catch one on sale , I have them from size 20-30 absolutely no complains

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2020, 07:27 AM »
I don’t say this lightly but 13 fishing is crap. It’s all a marketing ploy for the new young interest in ice fishing. I bought a rod that snapped and a two different reels that audibly grinder when cranking. Total crap.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2020, 07:28 AM »
And Pflueger president or shimano Sierra have been bomber for me. I have a st croix 32 inch stick that I love too.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2020, 07:35 AM »
These are on sale at Cabela's.ca

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/99289/quantum-pulse-baitcasting-ice-combo

Free shipping if you order 2.

I bought 3 recently and they are perfect for Walleye and  small to medium trout.

For BIG Lakers you would be better served by Jason Mitchell Mackinaw rods.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.