Author Topic: wierd critters you found in fish you caught  (Read 6813 times)

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
wierd critters you found in fish you caught
« on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:16 AM »
     Seen some oddball stuff swallowed by fish I've caught through the ice. A 17" pike inside a 24" pike and the bugger still took a 5" sucker on a tip up. The strangest was 2 years ago on a small lake in the Upper Pennsula,
while jerking perch a bout 20 yrds off shore I hooked and landed a 15" brown. I figured breakfast tommorrow and kept him (only fish I took that day). At home when I started cleaning him I found a freshly swallowed leopard frog and a good sized one too boot! This was the dead of winter and how this trout got ahold of a frog that should have been lying dormant buried in the bank is beyond me.
     Any of you folks find some supprizes?

Spin

Offline canthookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: wierd critters you found in fish you caught
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:19 AM »
Pulled a small bass out that regurgitated and flopped all over the ice, looked down and saw a cray wandering around the hole. Counted 9 little white half digested pickeral too.
cant hook it! have to be honest!! looking for used underwater camera & older snowmobile in the MA area.

Offline johnnyboy8451234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:27 AM »
a small turtle came out of a largemouth bass I was filleting    cute little thing it wasnt even digested yet. Didnt think they would eat a turtle

Offline JuvyK

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feels Like a Nice One...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:30 AM »
One time I caught a Killer Whale in my pond. It had a Smart Car in its stomach...worst part about it was that is was still running??? ??? :o

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:45 AM »
I caught an 18" rainbow with a small snapping turtle in its stomach.
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:55 AM »
I caught a large mouth with a small rapala stuck in its mouth!  I removed it and sent the bass on its way... The hooks weren't even rusted yet!  If i can find the lure I'll post a pic.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:06 AM »
it seems every other lake trout i clean has soft plastics in its stomach - normally senkos.  Last 5 years or so i've only kept 2 or 3 trout every year, but at least one always has plastics in its stomach.

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:09 AM »
One time I caught a Killer Whale in my pond. It had a Smart Car in its stomach...worst part about it was that is was still running??? ??? :o

:clap: :roflmao: :thumbsup:

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:18 AM »
Several pike I have caught over the last 60 years had baby ducks in their stomachs.  Not really weird but kind of strange when you're cleaning the fish and see something like that...  The only other weird thing was a button inside a bass, looked like a button from a shirt.  Don't have a clue how that happened and still laugh about it when I think of it...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:18 AM »
while steel headin i caught a nice male cut it open and it had eggs in it.upon closer examination i accidently cut its stomach open and it had about 15 rotten spawn bags in there.thing musta been a bait steeler

Offline pin smelt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wherever ye shalll be, let your flag fly free.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:35 AM »
A couple of years ago at a Togue tournament in Maine I caught a 26 inch togue that had a 9 inch salmon (partially digested) in it's gut.  Damned waste of a salmon.
Happy trails to you.......until we meet again....

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:52 AM »
I was jug fishing at Smith. Mtn. Lake in VA back in the 90's. I would set a dozen every evening, checked the lines that morning and had 3 nice channel cats over 24". We found one jug and it looked like the line was cut/frayed next to the cap where the line was tied, I figured it may have gotten tangled up in a motor during the night. Up at camp, I was cleaning them and one's belly was stuffed to the max, my uncle told me to cut it open and see what else it had been feeding on besides the 5" shad we were using for bait. Cut it open and out slid two 5" shad, one still with the other hook, split shot and approx. 12' of nylon staging. I guess once he got to the end of the line on the first one he ground his way through the line and was still hungry. My uncle said that we needed a video camera on that one because no one else would ever believe it.   

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2009, 12:31 PM »
I mainly practice C&R so I don't get to examine as many innards as some on here. I do keep some stocked trout sometimes though. I found cigarette butts in the stomachs of a lot of trout, about the weirdest I can recall at the moment.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2009, 01:23 PM »
I found tiny blood red worms in rainbow a couple of winters ago they were about the size of a pencil lead and in a big ball ?
Catching Any?

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2009, 02:14 PM »
Never found anything weird in fish - but I did catch something weird while fishing.
Two years ago while fishing a small pond for Pike my first flag of the day was a suprise.  I was fishing dead bait in shallow water near a brushy shoreline.  When I went to the flag the spool was running and the line was heading straight to shore.  I didn't want the "fish" to get tangled in the brush so once it stopped I set the hook and after a decent fight I brought the "fish" to the hole, fully expecting to see a decent Pike.  What I saw had a tail but it also had four legs and fur - it was a Muskrat!  I didn't want to deal with it on the ice so I let it back down the hole and gave a good yank on the line, I got back my hook but he got the bait.
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2009, 02:16 PM »
One more..I caught a 15" yellow with a frog down its throat. Yes, through the ice. At first I thought it was two herring sticking out of its throat but as it turned out, it was the hind legs of a bull frog...Go figure.
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2009, 02:33 PM »
About the few posts mentioning frogs.... I have a big koi pond, well not "big big"... only about 1400 gallons.  Last weekend I had nothing to do so I figured I'd scoop some of the leaves out of the pond before it iced over again. The next day all the debris had settled and I peeked into the pond while walking by and there was a giant bull frog laying on the bottom.

I guess all frogs don't hibernate in the muck.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2009, 11:05 AM »
Through the ice: tadpoles, bull frog ??? baby catfish  Open water : lamprey larvae, baby eels, butterfly and a mouse
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2009, 12:24 PM »
I don't eat fish so I don't clean fish much, but I have found some plastic lures inside of perch and trout. One time a couple years ago I caught a pike that was around 12lbs, threw it back then a couple days later my buddy caught it and it had the leader in its mouth, cut his leader and threw it back. Then a couple days later another buddy caught it and kept it all in all it had 3 leaders in its mouth from us LOL!
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2009, 12:45 PM »
Field Mouse in a Brook Trout...

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2009, 01:42 PM »
Caught several trout with flies stuck in the mouth or other places. Caught a rainbow that had a hook in it's mouth and two trailing on fishing line from it's arsehole that it had already passed. Cut the hooks off and he swam away like a champ. Caught some big browns in a little creek that had numerous mice in the stomachs, and finally last weekend caught an 18 inch cutthroat with a 5 inch trout inside. Same lake has coughed up a bunch of trout that had stomachs packed with snails.

Two years ago my brother-in-law and i were fishing, and catching stocked rainbow trout,and he caught one with a line and snap swivel hanging out of its mouth, and the hook with green powerbait still attached coming out of its butt??? digested it and never dissolved. ( wonder if other trout were chasing it around,and wonder what would have happend if it caught it?? Imagine catching 2 trout at the same time, one on your hook and the other hooked to its rear?? )

Offline Jaybobbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2009, 02:36 PM »
I was wading in a river one time, fishing for smallmouths, and i felt a piece of fishing line against my leg so i grabbed it and felt a fish on the other end! I pulled it in and there was a carp with a hook in its mouth and a night crawler too. i pulled the hook out and looked for the other end thinking (hoping) that there would be a fishing pole at the other end but there wasn't.

Offline SUBCATCHER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh i sink so!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2009, 03:06 PM »
My neighbor pulled a 7lb largemouth off his dock 20 years ago. He likes to eat em. When he cleaned it he found a baby duckling inside :tipup:
If what comes around goes around is true.... Im coming back as a large shiner

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2009, 03:50 PM »
caught  a   largie  bass   with   a   small   like  a  kid   sized   braceltt   in   it       weird

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2009, 04:01 PM »
caught  a   largie  bass   with   a   small   like  a  kid   sized   braceltt   in   it   

it must have already digested the kid :roflmao:

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2009, 04:50 PM »
Caught some bluegill out of a shollow pond with shredded leaves and muck in their stomachs, prolly not much food out there. 

Offline r3foxx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2009, 04:58 PM »
One of our favorite summer pasttimes is shooting blackbirds as they come to roost in the cattails around our pond, when they hit the water stone dead not much happens, but when they hit the water crippled its almost guaranteed that a bass is gonna smash them. The wood duck and mallard chicks usually dissappear at the rate of about one a day also.

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2009, 05:13 PM »
Caught a Togue (Lake Trout) one year that had a spark plug in it's stomach.  :pinch:

Offline johnnyboy8451234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2009, 05:17 PM »
One of our favorite summer pasttimes is shooting blackbirds as they come to roost in the cattails around our pond, when they hit the water stone dead not much happens, but when they hit the water crippled its almost guaranteed that a bass is gonna smash them. The wood duck and mallard chicks usually dissappear at the rate of about one a day also.

I would be crippling them all day just to watch them get hit by the bass :)

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2009, 06:09 PM »
Hey JuvyK
I was interested in one of those vehicles but now knowing they are that dumb, I'm now having second thoughts.
By the way was anybody in the vehicle?
MA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.