Author Topic: Pan Fish leader  (Read 2563 times)

Offline JamesP

• IceShanty Rookie
Pan Fish leader
« on: Oct 26, 2008, 08:52 PM »
        I am fairly new tro Ice fishing and need a little help.  What type leader due you fellows use for fishing for pan fish?  Is it the same as the line you use on the reel itself?

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pan Fish leader
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2008, 08:55 PM »
  I just use 2 pound test line with no leader.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2008, 08:57 PM »
No leader, just 2# test here.  I kick up to 4# when fishing for walleye on a rod with heavier action.  Several options out there for ice line.  Personally I use 2# Stren Ice Hi Vis Gold for panfish, 4# Trilene Micro Ice clear for walleye.

Take with a grain of salt, please.  I've only been ice fishing since Jan. '08.

Jeff

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2008, 09:01 PM »
I use 2 pound test for bluegill, no leader. My friend bought 1/2 pound test last year but could never keep his dang knot from busting so he threw it out.

Offline JamesP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2008, 09:16 PM »
    Thanks guys, the problem I have is the tiny jigs keep spinning alot of the time , I cant see the 2lb line anymore, And i think this year I am going to try barrel swivels any further advice is welcome

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2008, 09:43 PM »
No need for a swivel , you're tying the knot wrong !
If you tie the knot with a loop in it , it will all but eliminate jig spin don't pull the knot all the way to the jig , you also have to make sure that when you string you're spool the line goes on the rite direction .

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2008, 07:34 AM »
Usually depends on the water clarity and how the fish are biting. I'll go down to 1# or up to 4#. No leader. Make sure, as previously mentioned, to wind your line on correctly. A little trick I use......when I have the fish marked and get my jig a few feet above them, I'll pause my drop for a moment or two. Then slowly finish my drop. The pause helps to make sure any twisting/spinning that may have ocurred on the drop is gone. And, by slowing the drop after this pause, I minimize any additional twisting/spinning until I am in the strike zone.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline JamesP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2008, 08:33 AM »
   Hey thanks for all the input That trick with the not is just what I was lacking.  This site is a big help to me.  I spend lots of time looking around.  This season I am going to try the saugeye fishing through the Ice ,  By the way 1Tigger I live 10 miles west of lima,  Lima Ohio that is,  Thanks guys.  JamesP

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2008, 12:05 PM »
no leaders for me when panfishing, 2lb is great unless you fish the Bay of Quinte like me and lose the occasional walleye due to Ultra thin line...happened twice last year while jigging for perch

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2008, 12:07 PM »
i like to fish with 8lb mono with a mono leader attached in the 10 lb test range
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2008, 02:09 PM »
I use a 2# leader for panfish.  I just put ~4ft of it below a barrel swivel.  I leave 4lb on all of my reels and just switch leaders for what I'm fishing for.  Perch, trout, lakers is 99% of it.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2008, 02:31 PM »
Run 2# main line which is OK for 3/4 of my panfishing. Not hesitant to get down to 8oz line and #20 jigs if that's the answer. Light line requires the right not which is a loop type.  http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php  is helpful.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.