Author Topic: Eskimo portable pop up rip repair?  (Read 9729 times)

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
Eskimo portable pop up rip repair?
« on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:01 PM »
put a nice 1.5"tear in the Eskimo the other day. Anyone have any ideas on repair? Thanks in advance

Offline PSC13

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo portable pop up rip repair?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Duck tape fixes everything.

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Shoe Goo on both inside and outside. ;D

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Shoe Goo on both inside and outside. ;D

Yep, sew it together and cover with goo!!!   ;D

Offline Gumboots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:19 PM »
Then cover it with duck tape just for the hell of it!!! ;D

sihlms391

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:26 PM »
give eskimo a call.  I had a tent the stakes popped through bottom and didn't use it for a year.  Someone told me to call eskimo and I sent them the old tent and they sent me a brand new one.   They stand behind there product.  It was worth the call.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:25 AM »
Strange this topic came up as I was pondering adding a post with my own information to start a topic on this same subject.  I was at Home Depot last week looking for something "out of the ordinary" for repair tape. I had a number of conditions that needed to be satisfied by the mystery tape.  Duct tape, even the original 3M quality, was not in the running.

I discovered GORILLA TAPE. It has a shiny black outer surface and the tape is easily twice as thick (or more) than any duct tape on the market. Makes it much stiffer yet still flexible to mold to any contour. Where duct tape stuck on your arm skin would pull your hair off.....THIS stuff will pull your skin off! The adhesive is incredibly strong and nearly permanent.

This tape was just under $10 for the big 35 yard roll. (They have a 5 yard roll too.) But it suited my project perfectly and I even repaired/patched a cracked plastic tackle box I thought was headed for the dump. Although I have not punched or tore a hole in any of my 3 portable tents yet, it didn't take long for me to realize this Gorilla Tape would be the perfect tent patching material since the inside of the tent has a smooth waterproof coating making for ideal adhesion of the tape. I'd recommend washing the inside surface with rubbing alcohol to clean off any residues or dirt and then CAREFULLY apply this tape. Warning, once you stick it on the tent you may have a helluva time trying to get it off without doing further damage to the hole. Would be best to have a helper hold the material flat and tight on the floor with a hard smooth surface underneath when you apply the tape.  Once it has been applied I would lightly warm it with a hair dryer while pressing it again for the best adhesion.
I would suggest (for any of those doubting Thomases out there) stopping by a store carrying this product and peel back an inch on the roll and check out the quality and adhesion yourself. Bet you walk out of the store with a roll for the shop!  ;)
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:33 AM »
when my son ripped out the knees on both legs of his snow pants, my wife went to the fabric store to get some patches.  now i know the fabric store isn't your usual guy hangout, but these things were unbelievable.  self adhesive, waterproof, and in eskimo green.  they extended the life of those snow pants 3 months last year, and they were on his knees...i was impressed. you know how hard a 7 year old can play in the snow and ice when he has snow pants on!!  as soon as i saw them i knew right away that they looked like ice house fabric.  they come in 4in by 8in pieces, and outlasted the fabric they were stuck to by far!!

Offline flyangler00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:38 AM »
shoulda bought a frabill!.... too many posts on eskimo and clam hubs/tents breaking or ripping!... sure they offer a different size than frabill and are a bit cheaper.. but i feel frabill, at least i would think.. that they would come out with a couple different sizes and insulated next yr.!! still worth every penny!! just my 2 cents!!... i'm sure i'll catch some hell on this one... oh well... i only guide with the best and use it daily!! its gotta work!!

may you have tight lines and good times, we'll see you on the water

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:44 AM »
hey now....i'm no pro from dover...but i'm still running around with a 1980's 5x7 babe winkleman suitcase style shack from eskimo.  i'm not the first owner, but i'd say it's earned it's cost back in spades.  the plastic bottoms are still in good shape, all the zippers still work and there isn't a ripped thread anywhere on it!!

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:49 AM »
put a nice 1.5"tear in the Eskimo the other day. Anyone have any ideas on repair? Thanks in advance

Gorilla Tape.

Offline flyangler00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2012, 02:01 AM »
hey now....i'm no pro from dover...but i'm still running around with a 1980's 5x7 babe winkleman suitcase style shack from eskimo.  i'm not the first owner, but i'd say it's earned it's cost back in spades.  the plastic bottoms are still in good shape, all the zippers still work and there isn't a ripped thread anywhere on it!!

dont get me wrong... i still have an eskimo QF3 in like new shape..not sayin everything but frabill is junk... i feel otter, eskimo,clam, and frabill all have great units... if i could take all the parts and options from all and build 1 superior shelter, i would... but the hubs, still to new to really, really get "right"... you said "suitcase" style... not the same!...

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:47 AM »

dont get me wrong... i still have an eskimo QF3 in like new shape..not sayin everything but frabill is junk... i feel otter, eskimo,clam, and frabill all have great units... if i could take all the parts and options from all and build 1 superior shelter, i would... but the hubs, still to new to really, really get "right"... you said "suitcase" style... not the same!...

you're right...i missed the word "hub".   :o     i'll try not to get so upset....hehehe

Offline flyangler00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:18 AM »
you're right...i missed the word "hub".   :o     i'll try not to get so upset....hehehe

dont worry bout it... it all about the freindly debates here.. we all have different opinions and thats what makes it great.. otherwise it would boring as hell!! ;D

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:16 AM »
shoulda bought a frabill!.... too many posts on eskimo and clam hubs/tents breaking or ripping!... sure they offer a different size than frabill and are a bit cheaper.. but i feel frabill, at least i would think.. that they would come out with a couple different sizes and insulated next yr.!! still worth every penny!! just my 2 cents!!... i'm sure i'll catch some hell on this one... oh well... i only guide with the best and use it daily!! its gotta work!!
ah..erh......the knife went through it.......?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:41 AM »
ah..erh......the knife went through it.......?
The old can 'o worms thing again??  ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline cleve10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2012, 03:12 PM »
Iron-on Patch

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2012, 03:30 PM »
And now comes  Camo Gorilla Tape.     :thumbsup:

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2012, 05:31 PM »
try a sail boat supply store.  They have a tape from hell to repair torn sails. :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.