New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Queechy Lake, Canaan  (Read 1780 times)

Offline jay matthews

• Team IceShanty Regular
Queechy Lake, Canaan
« on: Feb 21, 2021, 03:55 PM »
Can anyone recommend a place to get certified bait near this lake, and a spot to park and get on? My daughter goes to school over in MA nearby and has been hounding me for a day on the ice, thanks.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Queechy Lake, Canaan
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:13 PM »
Closest place I know is bullseye archery way up in east greenbush.  Way outta the way.  You can bring bait from Mass if its certified and closer.
There is a state dec access site on queechy that decent access. 

Offline jay matthews

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2021, 04:55 AM »
Thanks tuna, have to call some places in the pittsfileld area to see if they have any certified bait i can grab on the way up

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:25 AM »
 Jay Matthews I'm sending you a personal message with some information on Queechy Lake and some bait shop info. for Dutchess county,NY.  .There are two bait shops located in Red Hook,NY (Northern Dutchess county) still some distance from the lake. I checked the NY.DEC website Hot Tuna is correct this is a state boat launch with limited parking. I believe there also is a town park where you may be able to park. The Canaan Conservation Club holds a annual ice fishing contest at Queechy so there has to be some type of parking. Good fishing to you and your daughter.

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2021, 10:38 AM »
I belive onota boat livery has certified bait.

Offline jay matthews

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2021, 03:44 PM »
I was literally just about to call onata boat livery!

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:07 PM »
The state dec access is not bad access but you do have to drive just a little bit through the woods on the road in. There's room for about 6 vehicles.  If it looks nasty ( snow) then you just park on the entrance and walk right to the town beach to access.  It's not a difficult walk at all.
That's the only public access point I'm aware of. There really shouldn't be a problem.
Keep bait only 5-10 feet deep for trout over deep water and light line , small hooks as they are very shy biters.  Move into the bays for pickerel,  bass and good luck finding the panfish,  lol.
Have fun

Offline jay matthews

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:41 AM »
Thanks tuna, got some fly leader to use, have been meaning to drop a size on hooks anyway, shouldn’t be a problem with the truck getting in, jay

Offline jay matthews

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:00 AM »
So am I reading this correctly? 7 tip-ups per angler, last time I fished NY I believe it was 5, that was college in the late eighties up in the Adirondacks though, maybe a regional difference?

Offline butch76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:10 AM »
It is 7 lines so can be 7 tip ups or 6 tip ups and a jig sick or any combination.

Offline jay matthews

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:16 AM »
Thanx, will dust off the antique bin 🤣

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:22 PM »
Anybody fish this lake lately how's the walk many fish caught? Thanks

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:38 AM »
 Jay Matthews for your knowledge Queechy lake is a special regulations water under New York's general regulations for ice fishing on/in trout bearing water is not permitted. Near the top of the New York General board/forum you will see topic titled New York news & Info. under links is one for the DEC's fishing regulations look under Columbia County for the details on ice fishing at Queechy lake. Friendly reminder you and your daughter will need to purchase non-resident licenses believe you can do this through the DEC website I think you will find a 3 or 5 day non resident license besides the yearly non-resident license.

Have a safe and good time .     

Jghunter hope someone can provide with an ice conditions report as you can see from my avatar i live near you so don't fish Queechy with any regularity given my distance from the lake.

Steve

Offline jay matthews

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:06 PM »
From what I read it seems 3 fish over 12” is the daily catch there, no closed season, and non resident license are 7-day 28$, 1-day 10$, that is a better deal than mass or vermont for a day, I’d love to see a New England or North East license, that would promote some real business.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2021, 05:39 PM »
I live 20 minutes from queechy.  It's a nice lake stocked with decent rainbow and browns.  Has good panfish but almost impossible to find in winter.
Personally,  I don't ice fish there because its finicky and pressured pretty good.  Dec does check in regularly so have your stuff up to date. 
Ny cashes in on out of state licenses mainly from the great lakes.
Good luck fishing

Offline jay matthews

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2021, 08:01 PM »
How’s the ice holding up after the rain? Getting dicey down here. Looking like Tuesday might be the best day for me to come between work and the weather.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2021, 08:13 PM »
No worries.  No rain here just the past 2 days of warm up to melt snow on ice . Its below freezing at night,  (25 degrees now) and tightens up making things better than when there was snow.
You'll be fine.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2021, 06:10 PM »
No worries about ice there.  Fished close by queechy today and hardwater was tight and no snow / slush as compared to up north yesterday.
Shorelines got about another week or 2 before the getting gets sketchy.
Good luck fishing.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2021, 07:10 PM »
Wind is ripping and supposed to be windy tomorrow ( Tuesday). Temperatures going into low teens tonight and there will be hard,  solid ice.
If you got a flexible plan,  probably Wednesday be less windy.  Ice will be fine throughout this week,  creepers probably a must.
It's a lake with lots of high hills to break things.  Good luck and send pictures..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.