Author Topic: Knot so easy  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Knot so easy
« on: Oct 12, 2018, 05:08 AM »
So knot tying has never been my strong suit even with my smallish fingers, with the exception of the Palomar. In trying to tie a Double Surgeons (suggested) on my horizontal jigs, it is "recommended" to have a 1/8" loop when done but I can get nothing less than about a 1/4" one. Is this too much? I would use those Fas-snaps, but even the smallest ones will not fit through the eye of these jigs. In the past, I had always tied them with a Palomar, with good success, but would like to try tying them the right way to get that little extra action. Help please!
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Knot so easy
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2018, 06:28 AM »
If 1/4 inch loop is as small as you can get then I commend you! Lol mine are usually at least 1/2 inch and sometimes I roll with about an inch loop. I haven’t noticed it to hinder any lure action or fish catching ability so I don’t concern myself with a precise 1/8 inch loop. I use the double surgeon on dry flies as well and it still works just fine even with my 1 inch loops. Don’t worry about it that much. The loop size doesn’t really matter in my experience and you’ll just drive yourself crazy trying to get a consistent 1/8 inch loop.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2018, 06:30 AM »
I agree with the reply.  I often don't get a very small loop, and don't seem to notice that it affects anything.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Thanks fellas...looks like I'm good to go. That's why we sometimes seek professional help.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2018, 09:47 AM »
Always remember to wet the line before pulling tight.
Just add water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.