The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Marking an old spearing hole?  (Read 7853 times)

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
Marking an old spearing hole?
« on: Dec 22, 2018, 12:53 PM »
I know that when leaving an existing open or slightly froze over spear hole, it is best to leave a marker warning others of the thin ice spot.

My friend uses brush/small dead limbs found along the shoreline.  This is great, provided those materials available. What about when they are not readily available? What do guys use to mark the hole, that is "OK" or acceptable to leave out there on the ice?  I don't want to litter, but I don't want to create an unsafe sitation either.

Some wood laths with some type of flagging?  Colored paper mache as flagging?  Last long enough till the ice freezes solid yet will deteriotate after that?

take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Marking an old spearing hole?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2018, 01:17 PM »
If you know you’re going spearing, grab branches and put them with your gear before you leave.no shortage of branches laying around.i grab some green evergreen pine branches and put them in my truck the day before.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2018, 01:21 PM »
The guys who spear on our lake leave the block of ice, taken out of the hole, next to the edge of the hole.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2018, 01:47 PM »
The guys who spear on our lake leave the block of ice, taken out of the hole, next to the edge of the hole.

I've heard of that but thought most guys then put the block back in the hole when leaving.  If I left a big block of ice on the surface, I'd be worried of someone running into it with a snowmobile, especially if it was covered with fresh snow. 
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline mi500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2018, 01:55 PM »
I've heard of that but thought most guys then put the block back in the hole when leaving.  If I left a big block of ice on the surface, I'd be worried of someone running into it with a snowmobile, especially if it was covered with fresh snow.

I have heard complaints from snowmobilers that they cant see the blocks of ice until it’s too late.   Not enough contrast.  I’m not an experienced spearer but I have been grabbing evergreen branches on my ride out if I drag my spear along. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2018, 01:55 PM »
.         Yeah, can’t see it, and would be bad news to hit with a sled or atv !!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2018, 12:11 PM »
I always put my block back in the hole making sure it is laying flat.

I Always put brush with surveyors ribbon to mark the hole. Once it's frozen in place I go back and remove the ribbon.

WS

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2018, 12:47 PM »
Usually use a good sized branch or a brightly painted wood dowel. In ND it's the law to have a marker in possession before making a hole larger than 10"

Offline crittrgittr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:49 PM »

Evergreen branches of any kind, work the best.
Contrast against the snow is good.
Show up well after dark also.
Some types of Oak limbs that hold their leaves late, work good too.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2019, 03:33 PM »
 a couple years ago, with the event of Christmas, I would bring home a discarded Christmas tree, put it in the back yard, and it would be my brush for the year

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2019, 01:13 PM »
I hear of people putting the block back in the hole.  In all my years of spearing, I've never been able to budge the block after removing it because it freezes to the ice.  Maybe a chisel can be used to pry it up, but I never bring a chisel with when I spear.  Can someone explain how they do this?  Put it on a tarp?
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Mizayikaa

« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2019, 09:37 PM »
It's all relative. You would think a block on the ice would be a great marker but yes, snow machines hate it. Especially after it has snowed on top. I have always been a fan of leaving a bunch of brush, branches, whatever you got to mark the hole but have been surprised at how many times I have seen people walk out on the ice only to see a pile of branches and head right for it saying "how did that get there". Immediately to be yelled at by me of coarse. I think the best answer is common sense. Do the best you can with what you have at your disposal and hope that everyone else will be vigilant.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2019, 06:27 PM »
I hear of people putting the block back in the hole.  In all my years of spearing, I've never been able to budge the block after removing it because it freezes to the ice.  Maybe a chisel can be used to pry it up, but I never bring a chisel with when I spear.  Can someone explain how they do this?  Put it on a tarp?

It's not that hard but yes, I have a chisel with. The block has to go in exactly as it comes out so pay attention to which is the top and which corner goes where. It works well until the ice gets thicker, 18"+ then I chop the blocks in half. Just put them back as they were removed and it's no problem. My hole is 30"x30" so not as big of block as some. The ones on Winnebago in WI are often 6.5' x 3' so shoving them under is a lot easier, but can creat a lot bigger hazard .

Regardless once the blocks are back in the hole flat, I always mark it so no one ends up bobbing.

WS

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2020, 10:58 AM »
 yes, if you know you are going, take it with you. Last couple years, after Christmas, I drug home a thrown out Christmas tree used it the rest of the year

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2020, 09:22 AM »
   I always have a spud with me, and I push the block under the ice. but in the initial hole you drilled you can use your spud to hookit , and float it back

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.