The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip up hits  (Read 1298 times)

Offline keithrduck

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up hits
« on: Jan 24, 2019, 06:17 PM »
When you get a hit on a tip up with a large shinner on, how long do you wait to set the hook?

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip up hits
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2019, 06:24 PM »
I'm no expert... But, (I use Beaver Dam Tip-ups)  :tipup:  I watch the "t top" spin, if it's going pretty good, I slowly give it extra line, and then pull the tip-up out of the hole. You need a little extra line so you don't "bump" the fish. I'll try then to take up a little slack, and hopefully feel the tug on the other end of the line. If I do, I give it a yank. If not, I may jig the line up and down a little to see if that seals the deal.  It's basically the same drill for the x-style tip-ups.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:45 PM »
I'm no expert... But, (I use Beaver Dam Tip-ups)  :tipup:  I watch the "t top" spin, if it's going pretty good, I slowly give it extra line, and then pull the tip-up out of the hole. You need a little extra line so you don't "bump" the fish. I'll try then to take up a little slack, and hopefully feel the tug on the other end of the line. If I do, I give it a yank. If not, I may jig the line up and down a little to see if that seals the deal.  It's basically the same drill for the x-style tip-ups.
i'm not an expert either,when we get a flag we run to tip up look to see if spool is spinning and if it is we yank the tipup otta da hole and cross their eyes with a solid hook set caveaut we use 125lb main line and 50 lb floro leaders no regular floro but leader material which is stronger.if the spool isnt spinning we finesse tipup otta da hole peel off the line and feel if a fish is on the line then its the above scenario hope you get em
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:45 PM »
I’m not the expert either but this is what works for me. When the flag goes up I patiently get up and casually get my minnow bucket and walk to the flag. My thinking is let him take it as far as he wants so he eats it. Once it stops spinning I’ll pull it out of the hole and then start bringing it in until I feel the tension and then set the hook. Sure sometimes he spits out my minnow but most of the time he’s at the other end. Good luck

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2019, 05:59 AM »
As soon as I can get to it. I use quick strike rigs. I've found as long as the fish is taking line, all it takes is feeling the fish pull, then tighten your grip and a good tug will get it done. 90+% of the time you will get a mouth hook-up. Wait too long a gut hook is possible.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:32 AM »
I was always taught, going back about 25 years, to let them run, pause, run a little then set the the hook. Has always worked for me and the hook is in the corner of the mouth. I use one size 2 treble and 6”-12” steel leader.

The first run they usually don’t have the bait positioned correctly in their mouth, that’s why they pause, when they run again they usually have the bait positioned correctly then I set the hook. I don’t use quick strike rigs but I imagine they eliminate the “mouth positioning” aspect of the bait, hence the second hook.

However, after the advent of YouTube and watching hundreds of guys fish tipups, I’m not too convinced that there is necessarily a wrong way. Which is also prevalent in this thread. Depends on the rig I guess.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline prefect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:20 AM »
In the last few years, I've switched to circle hooks on my tip ups because I got sick of gut hooking fish. That being said, I wait to see the spool is spinning after I have slowly walked to the hole. Then, I just tighten up on the line, hopefully feel the weight, and bring them in.  95% of the time, they're hooked right in the corner of the mouth, and I miss very few fish.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Great advice from the previous posters.  I'll reiterate some of their comments and add a couple of my own to theirs:

When I see a flag, I get to the hole as quickly as I can but I slow down and walk gingerly the last 10-15 feet.  I think that sprinting to the hole and hammering the ice immediately above the fish can sometimes scare them and cause them to spit the bait.  I use treble hooks in varying sizes - single hooks for smaller bait and quick strikes for big baits (over 4").  When I get to the hole, I'll gently lift the tip up from the water and will carefully pay out some line so that I have slack in it.  I'll then pinch the line with my fingers and wait for it to tigten as the fish runs.  As soon as I feel tension on the line, I set the hook with a quick snap of the wrist if I am using a single hook.  If I am fishing larger baits on a quick strike rig, I will set the hook with a long sweep of my arm to really jam the hook in the fish's mouth.

One quick follow up tip - many times you'll find that when you get to the hole, the line is still and the reel isn't moving at all.  DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SET THE HOOK. Gently unwind the line from the reel so there's a couple of feet of slack and just wait.  Many times a less aggressive fish will hit the bait spit it out, hit it again and spit it out a few times before it finally takes it.  Other times, the fish will hit the bait hard to kill it, run a few feet and then spit it out to turn the bait around to swallow it head first.  If you try to set the hook in either instance, you will miss the fish.  Instead, wait for the fish to fully take the bait and run.  Sometimes this can take 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Just be patient.  Last year, my son and I were fishing for brook trout in Maine.  He miseed three or four flags becuase he tried to set the hook as soon as he got to the hole even thought the line wasn't moving.  I took the next flag and waited about 30 seconds to see the line moving before I set the hook and landed the fish.  I explained what I did and he looked up at me and said, "OOOOOOHHH..." From that point on, we didn't miss any more fish.

Last point, if you are using circle hooks, I believe the correct method is to simply pinch the line in your fingers and wait for the line to tighten as the fish runs.  The hook will set itself.  If you try to set the hook by pulling on the line, you'll pull it out of the fish's mouth before it sets. 

I hope this helps. Tight lines!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2019, 09:36 AM »
the reason i feel you need to set hook while spool is spining is they feel the resistance the further they pull out the line, just like jigging they spit out bait soon as they feel you (camera views)caveaut i fish fo fish dont discriminate amoung species,males are great, big fertile females i let go. :o
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Iwrush

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2019, 03:21 PM »
I set it as soon as possible. I am mainly out for muskies so the adrenaline may have an impact on the timeline....

Offline treblesandshiners

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2019, 04:02 PM »
i use polar tip ups if the top is spinning i grab the top and set the hook. quick.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2019, 04:09 PM »
Great advice from the previous posters.  I'll reiterate some of their comments and add a couple of my own to theirs:

When I see a flag, I get to the hole as quickly as I can but I slow down and walk gingerly the last 10-15 feet.  I think that sprinting to the hole and hammering the ice immediately above the fish can sometimes scare them and cause them to spit the bait.  I use treble hooks in varying sizes - single hooks for smaller bait and quick strikes for big baits (over 4").  When I get to the hole, I'll gently lift the tip up from the water and will carefully pay out some line so that I have slack in it.  I'll then pinch the line with my fingers and wait for it to tigten as the fish runs.  As soon as I feel tension on the line, I set the hook with a quick snap of the wrist if I am using a single hook.  If I am fishing larger baits on a quick strike rig, I will set the hook with a long sweep of my arm to really jam the hook in the fish's mouth.

One quick follow up tip - many times you'll find that when you get to the hole, the line is still and the reel isn't moving at all.  DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SET THE HOOK. Gently unwind the line from the reel so there's a couple of feet of slack and just wait.  Many times a less aggressive fish will hit the bait spit it out, hit it again and spit it out a few times before it finally takes it.  Other times, the fish will hit the bait hard to kill it, run a few feet and then spit it out to turn the bait around to swallow it head first.  If you try to set the hook in either instance, you will miss the fish.  Instead, wait for the fish to fully take the bait and run.  Sometimes this can take 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Just be patient.  Last year, my son and I were fishing for brook trout in Maine.  He miseed three or four flags becuase he tried to set the hook as soon as he got to the hole even thought the line wasn't moving.  I took the next flag and waited about 30 seconds to see the line moving before I set the hook and landed the fish.  I explained what I did and he looked up at me and said, "OOOOOOHHH..." From that point on, we didn't miss any more fish.

Last point, if you are using circle hooks, I believe the correct method is to simply pinch the line in your fingers and wait for the line to tighten as the fish runs.  The hook will set itself.  If you try to set the hook by pulling on the line, you'll pull it out of the fish's mouth before it sets. 

I hope this helps. Tight lines!

I think it depends on the species also, I have had lots of pike, pickeral, and largemouth who were not moving at all just swallowing the bait, if I wait for the line to move that fish will have completely swallowed the bait and then I've got no chance at releasing it.

Offline Fallon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2019, 06:43 AM »
I was always taught, going back about 25 years, to let them run, pause, run a little then set the the hook. Has always worked for me and the hook is in the corner of the mouth. I use one size 2 treble and 6”-12” steel leader.

The first run they usually don’t have the bait positioned correctly in their mouth, that’s why they pause, when they run again they usually have the bait positioned correctly then I set the hook. I don’t use quick strike rigs but I imagine they eliminate the “mouth positioning” aspect of the bait, hence the second hook.

However, after the advent of YouTube and watching hundreds of guys fish tipups, I’m not too convinced that there is necessarily a wrong way. Which is also prevalent in this thread. Depends on the rig I guess.

Exact same way for me. Always did real way this way.

Offline keithrduck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Thanks for the great tips

Offline walikilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:24 AM »
My hook set is same as treblesandshiners only to add: if the T is not spinning when I get to the tip up I will look to see if the line is straight down or run out to the side. If run out to the side I look for it to be moving to one side or the other and not spinning the T. If line is moving set the hook. Next ever so gently I spin the T with the tip of my finger taking up line. You will feel a bump or T will start spinning. With eighter grab
the T and set the hook. If line is straight down wind back up to bobber and check bait.

Offline treblesandshiners

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2019, 02:37 PM »
thats right walikilir.if its spinning i yank it if not ill slow down to the tipup. good advice.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:05 AM »
im with mo that reel spinning set the hook.no movement ill stand there and watch for it to move for about 30 sec maybe than remove tip up carefully slowly start taking up slack feel weight set hook.i read the books that say weight till the fish move a second time before setting the hooks too that does not work for me I was loosing fish or gut hooking them.i do not use circle hooks.      and mo probably does qualify as a expert

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:47 AM »
Really solid advice from both of the Mo's (1moslab & 1MOFISH).  If the reel is spinning, set the hook.  If you are using a standard hook or treble hook and wait while the fish is running, you risk gut hooking the fish. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.