Author Topic: Caught an EBT in Winni  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Caught an EBT in Winni
« on: Mar 17, 2015, 08:09 AM »
I don't know how rare or common an occurrence that is. I didn't think they stocked winni with them but obviously there must be an abundance of streams feeding into Winni that are. It was a first for me on that lake though. I was heading out at last light on Saturday night to set a cusk string and drilled a couple holes in shallow to drop some bow traps in while I did it. Caught me by surprise and thought it was a baby laker for a second in the low light, but wasn't. Had a terrible day Sunday. Had a bow (presumably) snap a 6lb flouro leader on a locked spool. First light. Egg & Meal worm. Trap went sideways and the never even flipped. Got there fast, had just set it and was moving away. Not fast enough. Clean snap. That was it. Looked all around for lakers in the area and jigged plenty but couldn't get anything to hit of the few marks I saw. Tough day.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Caught an EBT in Winni
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2015, 10:00 AM »
I believe that technically Winni is one of those lakes that could contain any species of fish found in NH due to it's size and tributaries. Bummer about the snapped leader, you never know- could have been the next State record rainbow!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline DovaIceFisha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2015, 10:29 AM »
yes there are occasionally brookies pulled out on the big lake, they are few and far between. The only heavily fished trout they say that are definitely not in there are browns.  Did it have any size to it? Tough break on the rainbow, unfortunately it has happened to me as well earlier in the year. Hopefully you let him live till the derby for you next year.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2015, 11:23 AM »
I've caught a few Brookies in Wolfeboro in the past.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline sweet lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • go deep or go home.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2015, 12:24 PM »
yes there are occasionally brookies pulled out on the big lake, they are few and far between. The only heavily fished trout they say that are definitely not in there are browns.  Did it have any size to it? Tough break on the rainbow, unfortunately it has happened to me as well earlier in the year. Hopefully you let him live till the derby for you next year.
there has been some browns caught in winni my sons friend caught a 5 lb last year during the derby in Alton bay.

Offline DovaIceFisha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2015, 12:30 PM »
there has been some browns caught in winni my sons friend caught a 5 lb last year during the derby in Alton bay.

I have heard this as well, and told a warden about it and he said you must be mistaken for a salmon. I know my coldwater fish. My buddy caught it about 10 years ago. So yes i have heard of it and seen it, but they do not want them in there.

Offline sweet lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • go deep or go home.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2015, 12:40 PM »
No they don't want them in there. I also know the difference between a salmon and a brown. This was def. a brown. Caught last winter.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2015, 12:48 PM »
I'm sure some leftovers have been dumped in from the stocking truck in the past. Just keep those Winnisquam pike out of there.  ::)

Offline sweet lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • go deep or go home.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2015, 12:52 PM »
The old 5 gallon pail biologist also they are the worst ones.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2015, 12:54 PM »
I'm sure some leftovers have been dumped in from the stocking truck in the past. Just keep those Winnisquam pike out of there.  ::)

;D
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Neat, I didn't think many EBT's turned up out of winni else I'd have heard of it here or seen myself. It had no size. 12"? There about? I didn't put a tape to it or anything. Was just hooked shallow in the lip. I was kind of taken back to see the colored spots and all so I slipped it right back down the hole. Was fishing an Inlet so I'm sure he came for a cruise out of the Brook.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2015, 02:36 PM »
On the brown trout topic, and whats n winni or isn't, or isnt 'supposed' to be but might, or is - I was on a boat last spring and we kept three salmon that could not have looked MORE different. It was cool and I have pic somewhere if I can dig it up. But one looked like your prototypical winni salmon, one looked like a bow, and the third like a brown. Wildly different head shapes, jaws, even coloration. I can see how people might get confused on definitely ID'ing a salmon. In a hole, not pulling it out to inspect, I might have had a couple doubts about what they were and I know what salmon look like. I'll try to find the pic.

Offline sweet lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • go deep or go home.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2015, 04:00 PM »
I caught a 6lb.bow about 10 years ago that you would swear that it was a salmon. It was all silver football with no color lines or cheek color . T he only way to tell was the square tail.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2015, 04:55 PM »
Brook trout are not stocked DIRECTLY into Winnipesaukee.  The only way they get into the lakes is through the streams/brooks/rivers that lead into the lake. Some are natives, while others may have been stocked and just swam until they found the lake. I have caught 2 brookies out of Winni and both were clearly stockies because of the worn out fins. They are pretty hard to come by so nice job :)

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2015, 05:15 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

;D

Now that is "definitely" a Winnisquam pike right there.   ;)

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2015, 10:54 PM »
How do you post pics on here? I'm tech challenged

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2015, 11:35 PM »
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q570/misterharry71/Mobile%20Uploads/9C6C036D-F76B-4FD0-86D1-809EF7BC5DFD_zpsadnvhvyr.jpg

Just post the IMG code...and yep, that's your typical stocked EBT! When I first read this I thought at first you caught an EBT card hahaha

Offline jellyroll44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • may your lines be tight and your woman not so much
« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2015, 09:07 AM »
We caught a nice 4 pound now last week and it was the first time in 15 years of fishing the lake I had a hard time telling... Complete silver side... Just a square tail to give it away!

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2015, 11:54 AM »
Look how different these three salmon look. Particularly the heads. They'd been dead a little whe and the lighting in the pic is poor so you can't get a good idea of the coloration differences, but it was huge. Bottom head totally looks like a bow. Middle one looks like a sockeye or a brown. Top looks like your typical salmon.

Offline LunkahHuntah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2015, 12:31 PM »
It's hard to tell for certain in the picture but the bottom fish looks to have a previous hook wound, I can't even see the maxilla.  Hook wounding (especially at a small size) can severely disrupt the development of the mouth and growth.  Also, don't forget that male salmon will often times have more of an elongated, pointed snout (middle fish) while females can have a relatively shorter, rounded snout.

Fish jump raceways in hatcheries.  No doubt that a few brook trout and brown trout get mixed in with the LLS and rainbows being directly stocked into Winnipesaukee.  And like others have said, there's a number of tributaries of the lake that are stocked with and/or have wild brook trout populations.

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Those are definitely all salmon.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 18, 2015, 08:02 PM »
Those are definitely all salmon.
of course they are. That's not the point. But this thread has wandered off topic a bit.

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 18, 2015, 09:39 PM »
Sorry. Just re-read the posts. The middle one looks like a hyped up male that just spawned. One's that look like this sometimes have a yellow color to it. The top one looks like an average male and the bottom one almost looks like one of those 3-4 lb brood stock Atlantics they stock in Ma in the winter.

Offline sweet lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • go deep or go home.
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2015, 10:15 AM »
The middle one is defiantly a Atlantic strain they put in about 20 years ago.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2015, 04:50 PM »
Thanks guys, I've learned a lot reading this thread!

That is all. I have nothing to add, except the thanks.  :)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.