The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Long lake north of crystal lake  (Read 780 times)

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Long lake north of crystal lake
« on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:40 AM »
Hello,
I had went on a guide pike trip a few years ago and the betsie by Frankfort was not safe so he met us at long lake right above crystal lake. We caughots of pike there. I cant find info on this lake. Anyone know if it it private?  I saw cabin rentals on the north side that had water access too.
Thanks. Changing up our trip since it falls around tip up town on houghton. Getting away from the crowds.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline Monster splash

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Long lake north of crystal lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:13 AM »
I was on there over New Years for 5 minutes before turning back around. Granted, we were looking for some panfish, but the sandy bottom and 6-8 foot of water across the whole lake did not look appealing to us. There was a few guys watching tip ups but did not see a flag while we were there. Google maps aerial view kind of shows the depth contours. Good luck!

Offline Monster splash

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:15 AM »
Also, There’s a launch at the end of long lake road.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:57 AM »
Also, There’s a launch at the end of long lake road.
Thanks. That's where we parked last time. Seemed to be lots of perch. Caught a ton while waiting for flags.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:34 PM »
Long Lake is public, there is a small gravel launch where you parked and went in last time.  I haven't fished it in years but used to do a lot of gill fishing in the spring there.  The lake has changed a lot since then the cove was all overgrown and choked with weeds last time I was there.  When are you headed up there?

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:33 PM »
Long Lake is public, there is a small gravel launch where you parked and went in last time.  I haven't fished it in years but used to do a lot of gill fishing in the spring there.  The lake has changed a lot since then the cove was all overgrown and choked with weeds last time I was there.  When are you headed up there?
27th and 28th. We didnt see a single gil but we got a good mess of perch and landed 6 pike.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:54 PM »
Betsie Bay has locked up several times but with these small warm ups it has not stayed locked for long.  This week looks like some good ice building weather and carrying over into the start of next week.  Should be lots of options in a couple weeks for your trip I hope.

We used to fish it in the 80's and the spring Gill fishing was great with popper flies and a fly rod.  I had heard it wasn't as good these days and it had to be early 2000's when I took a boat ride and saw that cove all messed up.  Good luck I will be checking with some buddies I have that still live locally over the next couple weeks.  I will let you know if I hear anything around the time of your trip.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:33 PM »
Betsie Bay has locked up several times but with these small warm ups it has not stayed locked for long.  This week looks like some good ice building weather and carrying over into the start of next week.  Should be lots of options in a couple weeks for your trip I hope.

We used to fish it in the 80's and the spring Gill fishing was great with popper flies and a fly rod.  I had heard it wasn't as good these days and it had to be early 2000's when I took a boat ride and saw that cove all messed up.  Good luck I will be checking with some buddies I have that still live locally over the next couple weeks.  I will let you know if I hear anything around the time of your trip.
Thanks.  Appreciate it.
I heard it was overrun with hammer handle pike and they were trying to clear them up some. We have plenty of gils here in indiana so other species are always fun to chase.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.