Author Topic: set-up for pike?  (Read 4154 times)

Offline huntinbucks02

• IceShanty Rookie
set-up for pike?
« on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:52 PM »
what set-up do you use that works the best for pike?  both for jigging and a tip-up.
ice is like your wife cold yet satisfying

Offline zigal65

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: set-up for pike?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:34 PM »
for tip-up i like to find a weedy part and set a minnow just above to weeds and that works for me. jigging i have never tried fo pike

Offline SlapHAPpYcrappiE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2008, 10:48 PM »
dead minnow on the bottom- shallow water, i have done this on a jigging pole in my lap before while napping as well as on a tip up, woke up with a fish on
I've been slappin crappies since 1995.

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2008, 09:32 AM »
Tipup - 4-6" shinner just above the edge of a weed line.  Best if you can find a channel, cut or cove in the weed line.
Jigging - horizontal jig type in a minnow shape, BLK/SLVR or BLK/GLD are good colors.  Jig to get the fish to come in but ounce you see them, slow down and twitch it just a bit. Seems to work.

Offline get the gaff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:22 AM »
steel leaders; the bigger the bait, the bigger the pike you will catch - most of the time

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2008, 11:04 AM »
For jiging I use big Rapalas and Big dimpled Pimples , As far as tip ups I'll start out with a mix of medium and large shinners, but if I get into the dink perch i will slowly replace the shinners with them. I like to use what the lake has to offer when it comes to bait. 30lb mono or flouro leaders with a #2 or 1/0 circle hook depending on bait size. Fish around weed beds and above or channels inbetween big weedy flats. On top of and around islands or significant points with nearby weed beds are productive areas for me.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline major257

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2008, 04:49 PM »
I use 8 to 12lb floro leaders with #12 or 14 trebles tipped with 2 to 4 inch baitfish. I have caught some big pike on lake Champlain with this combo as well as perch and walleyes.

Offline pikenforcer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • To fish or not to fish, that is the question!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Anyone ever try tying a lake clear wobbler spoon on above the minnow? I heard this works pretty good but never tried it. Apparently the flash of the spoon attracts them in. Depending on water depth, I sometimes run my minnow just under the ice. Have caught many pike this way. A good steel leader and a sharp treble hook are about all you need with them. When they're hungry, they'll take just about anything. Don't count out your dead bait either. Works just as good if you hook it right so the current gives it some action. Happy hunting. :)

Offline windrifter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2008, 06:15 AM »
Like to try whole smelt dead bait (frozen or otherwize) but can't find them.
Anybody know where to get them in the NW Indiana area?

Offline Bo-14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2008, 06:32 PM »
Looking for some help.Trying to figure out what is the best leader for pike.I fish for bass and understand
why you use mono leaders.I'm not sure what leader to use pike fishing.I started pike fishing last year,tryed
both steel and floro,no success with eather one.Just wondering why some like steel and others like floro.

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2008, 06:51 PM »
both work for pike! i like 80lb floro and have very good results with it!
i use the 80lb because i can use crimps and not worry about knots, and teeth to much!
put new leaders on all the time but i think it is worth it because i get more bites and break off very few fish!
i use very small extremely sharp hooks and never put a lot of pressure on my big fish which is the one thing that is hard to do for some guys, they don't know when to let the line go in the other direction for a bit while tiring a big pike.
they fight the fish and don't give anything when they should, results: pulled hooks, bent hooks, broken leaders/line, story after story of how it had to be 30lbs.
good luck :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline walleyehunter01

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/Ice
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2008, 06:57 PM »
tip ups with a shiner ,but we put a few spinner blades on the line above the minnow ,so when he swims it gives a little more flash.also works good for walleyes.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:52 AM »
, they don't know when to let the line go in the other direction for a bit while tiring a big pike.
they fight the fish and don't give anything when they should, results: pulled hooks, bent hooks, broken leaders/line, story after story of how it had to be 30lbs.
good luck :tipup:
Very true ..... I have seen on several occasions a guy loosing a wal lmounter because he tried horsing it in.. When I feel the fish can rip line out of my hand  I usually just pinch the line enough so the fish can run but have a little resistance...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:57 AM »
Like to find passageways that Pike use for movement between points, weedbeds or other structure. They act as funnels. I then set traps along these. Then jig for pan fish with a Pike jiggin stick in the shack next to me. When the pannies disappear I drop down the jiggin stick and wait for the lightening strike. Or the larger Pike may just nose in to the jiggin bait, then I will drill a spear behind the head!! :tipup:

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2008, 12:36 PM »
tip up steel leader with a treble hook,  minnow and a piece of red yarn on one of the other hooks with the minnow  ;D ;D

Offline Bo-14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Thanks for answering the question Dave.I will
let you know if i ever land one of these fish.

Offline matty23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • gone fishing...........
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2008, 07:04 PM »
i use 2/0 single hooks with a big ole shiner or a big sucker 6"-10"  with a 30lb steel leader and 36lb line         have seen guys use wobblers and they seem to work pretty good but never seen anybody land a big one using them................. the secret babe for pike is........... iam sure many of you people know it but the question is is it legal???
matty23

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2008, 10:24 PM »
Thanks for answering the question Dave.I will
let you know if i ever land one of these fish.

right on brother, hope it happens this season for ya! :thumbsup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline tbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2008, 12:51 AM »
Great thread. Thanx for sharing. Im off to try next week:

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2008, 08:03 AM »
i use 2/0 single hooks with a big ole shiner or a big sucker 6"-10"  with a 30lb steel leader and 36lb line         have seen guys use wobblers and they seem to work pretty good but never seen anybody land a big one using them................. the secret babe for pike is........... iam sure many of you people know it but the question is is it legal???
is what legal ?

Offline THEFLAGMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2009, 02:06 PM »
so from what i read in this tread, when fising for Pike (Tip-ups) a steel leader(Test?) is a must, Treble hooks (size?) and a nice size shiner.

what lbs test for the steel leader?

and what size treble hook?

Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.