Author Topic: clear water pike  (Read 1128 times)

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
clear water pike
« on: Feb 21, 2007, 06:29 AM »
I just started fishing a lake with tipups for walleye and found out the with the aqua -vu and the hard way with two break offs the 1st one broke the knot from the dacron to the swivel and the next one took 8'' of my 12lb leader line . So i'am goning to try 30 lb mono for a leader will this work ? I don't think there are many fish in the lake much over 36 '' long from what i have heard . I don't want to go to a steel leader because the water is os clear i'am afraid it would make the fish shy away from the bait . what do you guys think ? thanks for your help  :)

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re: clear water pike
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2007, 04:08 PM »
I use 30 # mono all the time for pike, and have iced pike over 36" never had one snap or rip thru it either, I have even iced a few in the 10 # range on 15# mono, you just can't horse them in if you can tell its a decent size fish.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:07 PM »
I would recommend Florocarbon over mono.  Florocarbon is invisible and more abrasion resistant.  I have found Seagar Florocarbon is the best.  You may pay a lot more for it but it is well worth it. 

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2007, 06:46 AM »
I just switched to 17lb floro from 12lb mono, and have iced countless pike ranging from 5-14lbs. Never been bit off either.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.