Author Topic: Type of bait  (Read 2238 times)

Offline just a jiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
Type of bait
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Just wondering what everyone prefers to use for bait.. I mainly fish in north western wisconsin, and I think the most common bait that everyone uses is live northern suckers or shiners. I have no problem catching pike in the 3-5 pound range but I really would like to get into the bigger pike, so what does everyone use for the big pike? Do some baits work better earlier in the winter vs late winter?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Type of bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:42 AM »
I prefer suckers over shiners, especially on my tip ups....and I use good sized ones; 8 to 10 inchers. Suckers are also more active and live longer.

If I'm jigging for 'em, I typically use a half of shiner or smelt on some type of flasher lure.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012, 04:16 PM »
I usually use a combination of shiners and suckers to see what the pike prefer that day. Most of the pike that I have caught over 15 lbs have come on suckers.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 04:54 PM »
My best dead baits are ciscoes and peamouth minnows.
No live bait allowed here.
The ciscoes I harvest locally and TGF was nice enough to catch and ship me 150 peamouth from BC.
Still have a bunch of those peamouth and every time I put one down the hole I like to think I'm fishing with Terry!!!   :angel

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:23 PM »
For big pike my 2 favorites are deadbait tullibee (aka ciscoes) and white suckers, then in no particular order: creek chubs, sardines, mackeral, golden thread fish, and smelt, somedays they show a preference for one or the other, but its often tough to beat ciscoe or sucker in the 8"-14" range around here, and I usually use the other stuff only when I have to.

Offline CT-iceguy.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • aka striperboy on CTF
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:19 PM »
I use golden shiners, 5-11 inches. I jig them so I never have to buy them, suckers work great, but I've found they're better early season.
Christian Genarelli

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:11 AM »
i use the largest golden shiners i can find... in southern vt it is hard to find the big stuff, because we have to have a bait slip from a dealer... over six inches would be a good bet for a shiner though

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Smelt and shinners,suckers if I can get them.
BBJ

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:05 PM »
has anyone used small perch for pike bait???
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2012, 01:04 PM »
I do in Vt. They get bit. Our bait laws don't leave us many options.

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2012, 02:56 PM »
I do in Vt. They get bit. Our bait laws don't leave us many options.
agree with this, i fish a set back off the CT River and right across the river in NH they can use whatever bait they want! yet here i am with my bait slip and my 4 inch shiners... i can understand for some bodies of water, but the bait rules in VT are
rediculous

Offline MRC2572

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:11 PM »
I work on a boat on the east coast and the fresh herring or mackerel have by far produced the best for me

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:18 AM »
I work on a boat on the east coast and the fresh herring or mackerel have by far produced the best for me
gotta check regulations on fishing herring and mackerel though... not exactly a native species for most bodies of water

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:56 AM »
has anyone used small perch for pike bait???

Ive used small perch before. I clip the tails so they cant set the flag if they do then i gently step on them. Ive caught pike on them

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:32 AM »
Some of the biggest Northerns I have caught have been caught small dink perch that I have jigged up, I like the 3-6 inchers..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:28 PM »
Yup, our Vermont Regs, have really hurt, when it comes to Ice Fishing, here in the State.  The Fish and Game Dept, says, its because, of the Diseases, in the Great Lakes?  So they changed the Regs, for Bait.  Its funny oh, that the Vermont Hatchery's, have been given fish, from NY Hatchery's, years ago?  Now, during Ice Fishing etc, here, you have to go to a local Bait Shop, and get a slip, for your Bait.  You can use them only on the Body of Water, you are fishing on!  Three days, Ice fishing on the same body of water?  You can't take this Bait, to another Lake or Pond, in those three days?  You can, catch your own bait, on the body of water you are Fishing on.  You can't get any Smelt or Suckers in any, Bait Shop's in Vermont.  So, if you are planning on coming here, for Ice Fishing, its a harsh reality. >:( 

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:27 AM »
We can't us live stuff here, so its the frozen foods section for us. 6-8" herring is what i use.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2012, 01:41 PM »
i think the KEY to BIG pike has to be the LAKE, i PUT BACK ALL THE PIKE  OVER 24in,it just takes to long for them to get
to a big size,most times females are bigger'
JUST MY OPINION,
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline just a jiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:52 AM »
Do you guys just use one a trebel hook and hook the suckers in the back or does anyone use some type of harness?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.