Author Topic: flouro leader length  (Read 1920 times)

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
flouro leader length
« on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:02 AM »
i use a 50lb flouro leader about 30'' long. when i pick my tip ups up i wrap the leader around the spool and put the hook around the flag wire at the end of my 40-up, so i have a 16'' straight section and the rest is coiled. pulling on it helps straighten it a bit not not all the way.....how long do you guys make your heavy leaders and how do you keep them from having coils?

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
Re: flouro leader length
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:51 AM »
I usually run a 2' leader and rap it long ways around the tip-up and hook it to one side
FISH ON

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:51 PM »
I usually run a 2' leader and rap it long ways around the tip-up and hook it to one side

i do bout the same thing. leader is as long as the beaver dam. spool in the line till you get to the leader then run the leader to a piece of styrofoam that is taped to the flag side of the tip up.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:21 PM »
I realize this is the Pike section but this just might apply. When using #8 fluorocarbons for walleye leaders I use my tippit leader Straightener. The leather pinch tab with a rubber patch on one side, works like a charm.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2011, 12:38 PM »
I carry a caribener-style keychain with a heavy-duty split ring attached.  Hook goes around the split ring, hand in the caribener.  Easy to stretch your leader straight like this without the chance of hooking yourself.  I do like long leaders, since I fish clear, deep water a lot and feel it's wastefuly to have to replace an entire leader every time you need to retie (especially heavier fluoro).
Prayin' for cold

Offline CT-iceguy.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • aka striperboy on CTF
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:34 PM »
As for length, I use 36inches of 80lb seaguar with a crimped treble. I don't attach  my leaders to my tip ups until the morning of my trip, so they hang vertically until I'm ready to fish, keeping the line straight until I'm ready to fish.
Christian Genarelli

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2011, 12:20 AM »
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:11 AM »
I realize this is the Pike section but this just might apply. When using #8 fluorocarbons for walleye leaders I use my tippit leader Straightener. The leather pinch tab with a rubber patch on one side, works like a charm.
What? :unsure: picture?

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2012, 02:50 PM »
I carry a caribener-style keychain with a heavy-duty split ring attached.  Hook goes around the split ring, hand in the caribener.  Easy to stretch your leader straight like this without the chance of hooking yourself.  I do like long leaders, since I fish clear, deep water a lot and feel it's wastefuly to have to replace an entire leader every time you need to retie (especially heavier fluoro).

I use about a 3ft leader, and do something similar as quoted above, when my gear isnt used, my leader is just wrapped around the spool with a velcro strap keeping everything together.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.