Author Topic: Mono Vs steel  (Read 3435 times)

Offline lakertaker1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • lakertaker
Mono Vs steel
« on: Feb 21, 2010, 06:42 PM »
What do you guys prefer and what do you have the best success with. i have had great success with 20lb yozuri for pike. i know its risky but i seem to catch more fish . does any one agree whats your thoughts.

laker
lakertaker

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mono Vs steel
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Honestly, this topic has been beaten into the ground, but here goes. 20 lb is risky, and I don't think it will get you any more bites than say, 50 or 60 lb, which is what I use. I have been bitten off my share of times though even with the heavy stuff. I've seen bite offs happen on 80 lb before also. I've really considered switching to steel before, but cant bring myself to do it for whatever reason. For me I'd rather hook up with a trophy and lose it, than have doubts about whether or not that trophy will take my bait because of a bulky steel leader. I know others swear by steel and have results to prove it, but I'm a flouro guy.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2010, 08:00 AM »
I've only used 50 lb mono this year. The leader material, not regular mono. All with great success. Never lost a fish, no more than a small scrape in the line. I've broken 2-3 steel leaders in the past, so i'm not going to worry about breaking mono if my hook up rate is better.

I only used steel in the past, and feel i'm catching more fish now. As with any big fish, let em' run a few times.

Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2010, 08:22 AM »
just bought some Boa tieable titanium from tackledirect.com and landed a 26'' yesterday where my treble was in its gut... no damage done to the leader....

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2010, 10:09 AM »
I use 8 pound mono and don't think I have lost one this year due to the line breaking(my son on the other hand has broken off everyone I let him try to land)

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2010, 01:15 PM »
I run 40lb flouro for a leader and 80lb spidewire for mainline. I have landed lots of nice fish on the setup without ever breaking off. I always check the line after landing a fish, if theres any abrasion I'll retie the rig. :tipup:

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2010, 01:16 PM »
40# fluoro, also have used 30lb mono and steel in the past. I have all but abandoned steel unless I am fishing stained water where presentation doesn't matter.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2010, 01:17 PM »
I run 40lb flouro for a leader and 80lb spidewire for mainline. I have landed lots of nice fish on the setup without ever breaking off. I always check the line after landing a fish, if theres any abrasion I'll retie the rig. :tipup:
One more quick note. The flouro tends to have some memory after is is wrapped up. I just step on the swivel and strech the line for about 30 seconds before putting it in the water, makes it nice and straight

Offline Cold Ice Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Conserve and protect the environment
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:39 PM »
Hi hardwater nuts.
I have always used 12" BLACK steel leaders...lots of my friends use nothing but flouro/mono...in my view the color is key..the black steel leader may be a little more noticable than mono...but in both cases a 3/O or so hook shows up as well...for line I perfer dark green or black...but again I have seen the rainbow of colored lines out there in my life...as far as results..here in RI Largemouth Bass, pickerel, perch and a few crappie are the rule..there are a handful of stocked lakes with pike.. This season..largest fish- pike 32", bass 6 lbs, pickerel 24"...all on black steel leaders...one day afetr cutting the holes it took me over 1 1/2 hours to get 10 tilts in with my fishing partner...we had crazy bites all day on black steel leaders... COLD ICE STEVE 
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't care and the people that do don't matter.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2010, 06:16 PM »
here we go, keep using that junk,  GO STEEL OR STAY HOME. why take a chance loosing a fish of a lifetime. Guess you guys have no confidence that you will even hook up to a BIG PIKE ! if so, you dont need to worry, keep using the mono, floro JUNK !

Offline snapozz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh no its weed'ez watch out.....:icefishing:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2010, 11:52 PM »

i've used steel be4 and had more flags then the ppl using mono, they were just bass that hit on the steel so i dont think it matters much if that fish is hungry he is gonna eat you know what i mean... :o
Its like my pap told me, "son its the way you hold you mouth"
so i like to keep mine open ;)

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:05 AM »
titanium crimped to hook. Small in diameter.. no bulky snap swivel.

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2010, 04:01 PM »
GAMA floro is all i use!
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Dave, where have you been ? Still looking for those giants on the pic page. And whats gama floro ?

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:11 PM »
Dave, where have you been ? Still looking for those giants on the pic page. And whats gama floro ?

things change! have been working this season with such a crappy year 09 was i couldn't f-off like i normaly do! lol.

gama fishing line: http://gammafishing.com/

Offline slimer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2010, 12:37 PM »

Same here, but I use smaller main line - but no issues this year what so ever unlike years past.

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2010, 12:43 PM »
Same here, but I use smaller main line - but no issues this year what so ever unlike years past.

just the oposite! i use 130lb black dacron because i have big hands and it is a 1000 times easier to handle big fish with it than with that thread like stuff blowing all over the place and tangling on everything it touches.

Offline predhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2010, 10:15 AM »
PB 22 lb'er- 12 lb flouro-hook set, I believe is the important part when using mono or flouro

Offline dsids

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:31 PM »
Heavy Mono blows. Use thin wire in murky water, and heavy fluoro in clear or stained.

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:34 AM »
i use to use 20lb flouro but switched to 50lb. i'll never use steel no matter how well it works because i like to cut my line and let them live if i'm not going to keep them and the hook is in the gut

Offline cjflorence88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:57 PM »
i have landed many on Mono, Floro, steel and tieable steel  but i use Black or brown steel leaders i cut both swivels off and half hitch it through the eye of the treble eliminates the clanky swivel or snap down low, then i tie on a good bearing swivel up higher. and catch as many fish as anybody. i think the mono V steel controversy is just a joke all it does is give you more confidence where you need it, id rather use light main line and fight the fish.

"Ketchup and grease instead of catch and release"
"Hey, ya gotta flag, oh, wait, it went back down."
God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would belie

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.