Author Topic: extremely shallow perch  (Read 6543 times)

royalfish

extremely shallow perch
« on: Jan 21, 2004, 10:30 PM »
Hello all,

I fish a lake for perch and the water is a mere 4 foot all the way through.  I can not see the bottom due to the fact it is a mud lake, which produces awesome perch.  Can anyone give me tips to get these things?

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Re:extremely shallow perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2004, 06:53 AM »
Well heres what i would do. One find some source of current coming into the lake if any. There might be a more abundant food source for them there and if possible some cover near there as well. Stick to the north end part of the lake if possible as the North wind will blow and it wont be as cold on that side as it would be on the south?Hard to say as well like in the winter how thick does your ice get? like im thinking a 4 foot lake 1.5 feet of ice lol. Really lol. i mean you don't have alot of room here like you said for error. Get a map of the lake with depth if possible try to see if there is at least a area where is a lil deeper then 4. Stick to a place with cover  or a place where they can ambush higher oxygen level area..Thats all you can do. Stick low to the bottom use glow jigs Casue you said its a muddy lake and they'll need to see it. And be quite when you fish. PErch can be spooky.
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2004, 11:15 AM »
do what germ said he knows what he's talking about and i use his tecniques all the time. thank you germ ;D

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2004, 02:14 PM »
Ya nps here. Like i said its hard when your depths are 4 feet. I fish for crappie in bradford here near Marina's in 2-4 feet of water and you have to move around a bit and try to keep very still. I mean the ice is like 1 foot thick and only 3 feet under that if that much...Hard sometimes to stay on them just have to be patient and think like a fish. Good luck to him. TIght lines all.
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

royalfish

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2004, 06:41 PM »
Germ,

I mean there is 1.5 feet of ice...maybe 2 feet.  The water under it is 2 feet maybe 2.5 feet.  I did get a few nice 12 inchers out but they bit slow....I tried to keep quite and tried small glow jigs with no luck...switched to a kastmaster and caught 4.  The lake is the same throughout. No depth variations.  Although one point you brought up was very interesting.....there is a spring in the lake that will keep it open sometimes.  I think we were close to it but I wasn't sure.  I will have to find it and try that.

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2004, 06:45 PM »
Man, with that little of water, does the lake winterkill often???  I've fished some lakes like this and have found the fish to be right under the ice, their dorsal fins must have been rubbing on it.  Give it a try as well, you may be suprised.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2004, 09:32 PM »
Just be careful of the ice there...lol what the heck am i saying if ya go thru u can just walk out lol 4 feet deep. Rofl anyhow try the spring. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Offline avalanche

• IceShanty Rookie
  • any fishin
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2004, 09:51 AM »
if fish are extremely spooky lay a tarp on the ice so they cant see you

luck all

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2004, 05:40 PM »
Good idea avalanche....I didnt even think about that. Well i guess i was just assumoing there was snow on the ice...But your correct if thers no snow then try a tarp like he says so they can't see you moving and get scared. Please post if your getting any results and  what you did differnt to achieve this! TIght lines! 8)

royalfish

« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2004, 09:01 AM »
Hello again,

Tried it sunday again (25th) there is no snow on the ice but you can't see the bottom and the water is only 3 feet (1.5 feet ice 1.5 ft water) so I didn't worry about them seein me.  We had no luck thought talked to some other guys and they hadn't gotten a bite either.  Unfortunately the way it is going this lake will freeze out.  really wanna get some before this happens...lots of nice 12-13 inchers in there

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2004, 09:15 AM »
Um their gone/...lol ive never ever heard of such a thing are u sure they can still live there? half the lake is solid ice? Hmmm try a tarp to cover your body and stick close to cover. Try worms? LOl ive never heard such a thing. DOnt move as well its only like 3 feet they'll hear everything at that depth. Stick close to using your bait right under the ice? I mean its only 1.5 feet to mud then jig right under the ice? Minnows and jig s tipped with maggots? If not then they have to be able to get out somehow??/ If you have 13 inchers in there then they must be able to survives the winters but then how? Can u tell me the lake your fishing?

royalfish

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2004, 07:47 PM »
Germ,

I know they are still alive in there because a guy had a camera down...just to test it.  He caught 2 in about 3 hours so they are still alive...I don't know how they survive...most years the spring in the lake keeps a spot open but I don't know if there is any water running through it because it is usually open there.  I am fishing on Trumbull lake up by Ruthven-Terril area.  2-3 years ago they caught a lot of really nice 12-13 inchers out of there and I think it is too good of a lake to lose.  In my opinion they should put some wind aereators in there at the very least.  We got about 10 inches of snow on it now so it could be bad.  There is no structure that is fishable in this lake...just catttails and weeds but they are frozen solid.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2004, 07:06 AM »
Ok well thers structure fish near them...I mean u really have nothing to loose .lol Camera in 3 feet of water? Dude just don't bother using a ROd when your Camera shows a perch reach dont fast and grab it ROFL. Ok try this...Worms.  Get the tiniest glow jig u can get tip it with worms and keep it well lit to keep the glow on. Seriosuly though your movement is a big issue as well as Talking even at that depth. My other idea is Baiting the heck out of one area and see what happens. Or i have also done this method before which u might think is weird. for shallow water. Auger a couple holes in a line set your line with 4 small hooks (number 14 hook or 16) Set you line a follows  Sinker 1 foot hook one foot hook one foot hook one for hook. Hook each hook with a minnow thru the dorsal fin. Anyhow the weird part of this is drop the sinker down jut under the ice and you next hole is drilled close enough so u can put your arm down the hole to the next to feed the line along in a straight line. The holes should be drilled cloese enough so you can feed the line along. then the last hole pull the SInker back uip and on to the ice just on the edge. (on this method i place the sinker on a small piece or cork from a wine bottle. So that the sinker doesnt freeze to the ice. I leave a little slack in the line so that the minnows swim a bit but they are only maybe 1 foot at best under the ice ( in your case its great) Anyhow this way you have 2 indicators that might work. Your sinker is close enough to the edge that ifou get it hit its pulled down and you pull up or you feel the hit and pull and the sinkwer will come down. Anyhow once you get the hit you wont worry anyhow. I use this method  when i ice fish for Brookies. Sounds weird but i cover area horizontaly this way rather then vetically. Tight lines hope any of this helps!

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2004, 01:05 PM »
First, in 3' of water you should be able to see bottom.  Are you fishing in a darkened shanty or just out in the open?  If you can get it dark, you should be able to see unless the water's really nasty.

As far as tips, I fish 3 lakes that are similar.  I sight fish out of the fish trap.  If you don't have snow, try the tarp or bring along a bucket full of leaves off the yard.  Scatter them around the area you are fishing to provide some cover (scoop some water on them to freeze them in).  Keep your movement to a minimum.  In these shallow lakes with little structure perch will cruise the lake steadily and won't hold in one spot for very long.  You're better off waiting for them to come to you than chasing them around the lake.  Get as many lines in the water as you can.  Here in WI we can use 3 lines so I set two with minnows and jig with the third - all inside a 5' circle.  Spoons also work.  Try banging the jig off the bottom.  You'll raise a cloud of silt that sometimes draws in fish.  Also raise the jig so it's just below the ice and then snap it so it colides with the bottom edge of the hole and makes noise.  Anything to get the schools attention and bring them to you.  

Watch the dead sticks.  When a school of perch moves in, the minnows on your dead sticks will go nuts trying to get away.  Once you've got the fish around you, work fast.  If a rod gets tagled, throw it to the side and worry about it later.  Keep the lines in the water as much as possible to keep the school interested.  Once they move off, fix any tangles, re-bait, have a smoke, relax and wait for them to move back in.

kero
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2004, 07:47 AM »
You seriosuly have to post dude...I mean if you ask questions and we give ya feed back would be nice for use to know as well what worked or didnt work...Im so curious what  will make these lil buggers work..ALso bait the area and drop a alkaseltzer down there ....Don't laugh the comotion sometimes strikes them to hit,.,,,Now that i let this out there theres gonna be a alkazelter sale increase so i should get some royalties somewhere ..Tight lines all!

royalfish

Re: extremely shallow perch
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2004, 09:54 PM »
Sorry Germ,

I haven't posted because I haven't been fishing lately.  With all of the snow I have been ridin my sled instead of fishing.  I know its a shame but I have been.  I still would like to get some....I will probably go this weekend (4 day off school) I will post my results.

SOrry again I know I should post since you take the time to respond with your suggestions.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2004, 07:17 AM »
Germs just nosey..Just wanted to see if ya had any luck with the feedbacks is all..Its cool though i mean im sure your not to eager to jump back on a lake your not having any luck with...But it's a great feeling when you finally do something that works..I change fishing habit all the time when im not catching anything..Just a lil at first then i go to the extreme and then bang it works. I also like fishing for fish Im no good at catching just to increase my knowledge of Fishing. This Summer ill be doing some Carp fishing for Sport. (i wouldn't eat one) but near the shores i see em all the time and when they come in the other fish are hard to catch ...SO im going to figure out this SUmmer the best ways to catch them (for me that is) Just because i don't know as much about them. ANyhow enough of me blabing just get your butt out on that ice on this 4 day thing and try differnt tecs...ALso try big stuff for them to hit as well as small..You just never know when it comes to fish. Tight lines and good luck.

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2004, 12:34 PM »
One big rock,One over sized firecracker, one match, light, drop in hole. Many perch. LOL Germ and company i generally don't venture throgh this section of iceshanty but now that I have I think I'll continue. great info. guys.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2004, 01:22 PM »
Well even a Broken clock is Right twice a day...So should be able to pull a idea or 2 out every once in awhile. Tight lines!

royalfish

« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2004, 11:42 AM »
Hello,

Well I am sorry to say that I think this lake has frozen out.  It has remained in the teens to single digits and 1 1/2 feet of snow on the lake.  Think its done for??  I am thinkin it has to be close.  Thanks

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2004, 04:12 PM »
Ya unless thers a spot they can hide or goto i think its donefor also...Not enough Oxy levels for that much snow:< oh well but hers a big ol bass for you to look at.

Me and my monster bass

royalfish

« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2004, 05:42 PM »
Yeah I would say that the lake is gone too but wanted to see what other ppl thought. 

I would suggest not putting your head or arm or for that matter your entire body in that fishes mouth.  Nice work with the computer....had to take a double on that one.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2004, 06:29 PM »
hehe ya lol took me about 20 mins i still didnt get the Lighting right but oh well..Tight lines..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.