Author Topic: MID-WEST ICE FISHING PERCH  (Read 3390 times)

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
MID-WEST ICE FISHING PERCH
« on: Nov 25, 2010, 07:36 AM »
MAYBE ITS JUST ME BUT IVE COME TO A CONCLUSION THAT PEOPLE IN THE MIS WEST ARE OBSESSED WITH ICE FISHING YELLOW PERCH TO B HONEST I FIND THEM ANNOYING, AND THEY CANT GET ENOUGH OF IT. THEY TASTE ALRIGHT BUT IS IT WORTH GUTTING 20 FISH FOR 1 MEAL LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK AND NO IM NOT DOWN TALKING MY FELLOW ICE FISHING BUDDIES IN THE MID WEST

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: MID-WEST ICE FISHING PERCH
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2010, 10:34 AM »
thats eagle food!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Bullelk34

« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2010, 12:54 PM »
You Maine-ers are nuts! I just had 2 buddies from Maine out here hunting for mulies and elk, and of course that subject came up.... I still can't believe you guys don't love perch. I also can't believe you love trout so much. Differences between east and west, who knows?

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2010, 04:02 PM »
thats eagle food!
   he doesnt really mean it. its a love/ hate relationship w/ them! lol!  happy turkey day there john!

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2010, 04:19 PM »
UR RITE ITS LIKE TWO DIFFERENT WORLDS

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2010, 04:20 PM »
Only takes 6-8 for a good meal for me and the wife, we only keep them over 10" though gotta let them grow to get a meal. Guess panfish hve a big draw thousands come to my lakes every year from all over the country to fish perch and bluegills. BTW we fillet our fish.....

Offline Crumps brother

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2010, 04:43 PM »
Guess I'm qualified to chime in here as a transplanted Ohioan living in trout happy New England. Just last night I met a friend's husband who is really into ice fishing, but has no use for perch either. He's much more interested in putting out his tip ups and catching rainbows, brookies, and the occasional laker.

That's really pretty common around here, and I've gotten used to explaining to people how good perch are to eat. I also fillet my perch, not just gut them-filleting is easier and the final product is easier to eat, too.

There are lots of perch in the 12+ inch range that I'd much rather eat than to kill a nice trout, which (lakers especially) I see as a valuable resource. I won't keep anything besides perch, can't bring myself to kill a smallmouth or any member of the trout family. Perch allow me to eat fish without guilt-I couldn't make a dent in any lake around here, no matter how many I kept.

Now, pickerel, there's an annoying fish...

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone, perch and trout lovers alike.

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2010, 05:24 PM »
You Maine-ers are nuts! I just had 2 buddies from Maine out here hunting for mulies and elk, and of course that subject came up.... I still can't believe you guys don't love perch. I also can't believe you love trout so much. Differences between east and west, who knows?
Don't let this guy speak for the whole state....lol
There are a lot of ppl here who eat perch. Some admit it, and some don't.  ::)

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2010, 05:44 PM »
Don't let this guy speak for the whole state....lol
There are a lot of ppl here who eat perch. Some admit it, and some don't.  ::)
Hehe!!!!!!!!

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2010, 06:18 PM »
i agree its personal preference some people like catching 20-30 panfish in a day and some would sit a whole day waiting for 1 big fish to take their bait it could be waxies are hard to come by in new england and shiners are at every baitshop no matter what it is we all enjoy sitting in the cold

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2010, 07:00 AM »
you may be on to something....  the perch has it all    it even comes with it's own bait

all the worms and parasites inside of it!

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2010, 07:02 AM »
lol ill just stick with their eyes for now lol

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Up untill last year i use to do the 5 traps, sitting in the cold all day waiting for that one flag to go up that was a fish.... ive had better days, and worse, as everyone else had.. id rather go out and catch 50 fish on a jig stick, keep 10 of them, fillet em up, and be home by dark..... i have alot more fun catching more fish on a jig stick than one on a trap well after i cant feel my fingers, toes, nose, olsen twins, and ears... just my preferance... like how i cant spell for crappie and wont use spell check....

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2010, 10:00 PM »
I'll trade you your perch for my trout.Perch are the best tasting.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline smellysockalarmclock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2010, 01:51 PM »
The answer to this conundrum is Walleye! Yep good ole Walleye, you can get the size and they taste just as good if not better than perch. That being said I would take a bucket full of yellows over a trout any day.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2010, 01:58 PM »
I don't search out perch but  I have no problem taking them home. To me they are small walleyes and it doesn't take to many of them to make a meal.
I would rather have a limit of crappies over perch though.

Offline Crumps brother

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2010, 03:11 PM »
The answer to this conundrum is Walleye! Yep good ole Walleye, you can get the size and they taste just as good if not better than perch. That being said I would take a bucket full of yellows over a trout any day.

Fish and Game in New Hampshire won't stock walleyes even though they'd do very well in lakes around here. It is something I mention every time I talk to a warden...

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2010, 12:55 AM »
I LIKE ICE FISHING FOR .....  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:45 AM »
same here CRUMPSBROTHER maine wont stock walleyes here either though they would do really well were to busy spending time stocking ponds with trout that fail after 5 years i cant make any sence of it

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2010, 10:33 AM »
Fish and Game in New Hampshire won't stock walleyes even though they'd do very well in lakes around here. It is something I mention every time I talk to a warden...

I'd keep buggin him about it everytime you see him. Walleye are my favorite fish to eat, don't get any better than fresh walleye fillets. Trout are ok but far from my favorite, don't like salmon at all. My state stock way too many trout.

Offline Buckeye John

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2010, 10:43 AM »
IF I could bring a limit of perch home every time(30)my wife would have me fishing 7 days a week!

Offline Crumps brother

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2010, 03:04 PM »
same here CRUMPSBROTHER maine wont stock walleyes here either though they would do really well were to busy spending time stocking ponds with trout that fail after 5 years i cant make any sence of it

I was told something along the lines of, "the people of NH want to catch trout, walleye aren't a native species...blah blah blah."

Bass aren't natives here either, but the state does pretty well taking people's money who come here for them. I'm not looking for them to put walleye in where trout successfully spawn-but there are ponds in my area that get stocked only to have locals come in and catch a limit of small rainbows the next week. Walleye would do very well in our deep, clear water.

I'm not giving up just yet.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:43 AM »
IF I could bring a limit of perch home every time(30)my wife would have me fishing 7 days a week!
move to maine!  no limit   do us a favor

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.