Author Topic: For better or worse pulled the trigger on a helix 5  (Read 744 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
For better or worse pulled the trigger on a helix 5
« on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:37 AM »
I ordered the boat bundle as well much easier sell on the wife to get it. I have a Vexilar Fl 18 and Fl20 both are very good units and plan on keeping both the wife gets the Fl 20 and The 18 for when my mom comes. I like the fact I can use it in the boat. I really wanted gps and mapping I have the Navionics on the phone but it's a pain when walking around it keeps shutting off on the phone. Got it from Reeds in MN all I can say is the guy a talked with was awesome and knew his stuff. I think the Vexilars are great was going to get a Flx 20 but for the money figured I would get newer technology and a depth finder in the boat will really be nice. can't wait to get it.

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: For better or worse pulled the trigger on a helix 5
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2020, 11:02 AM »
My first unit was a vex I loved it. I have also owned a Lowrance elite 5 ice. I then switched to helix 5 G2 and I love it so much going on 3rd season. I only use graph mode now and could never see myself using the dial mode ever again. You will not be disappointed!
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline Oldsarge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2020, 11:05 AM »
Did the same last season but with the Helix7 all season package. This is a great setup especially paired with a lithium battery. You’ll be happy !!

Offline HuyFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2020, 11:50 AM »
fantastic choice. The fact that you're gonna be able to mark things on the gps during the open water. You could hit up those spots in the winter as well. Love the helix units.
https://www.youtube.com/c/HuyFishin
Follow like and subscribe! Appreciate the support!

Offline OHeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2020, 09:26 AM »
I just got the Helix 7 and cant wait to try it out.  There are a ton of settings and it can be somewhat overwhelming.  Here is a good video of the settings Clayton Schick uses on his Helix Ice:

Best of luck.

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2020, 09:39 AM »
Both my son and I got Helix 7s this year and the mapping feature is great for maps for some quarries we have access to.

Offline fly_rodder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2020, 10:49 AM »
I'm an adult convert to ice-fishing.  My buddy has a marcum flasher and I spent a few years gearing up enough to fish by myself more.  I ended up going with a Helix to use on the ice and for kayak fishing in the summer.  It's been a fantastic unit.  I think if I had to do it over again, I might spring for the 7, but the 5 has been awesome, so no real complaints.  I mostly use the graph only mode as well. 

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2020, 10:54 AM »
Great video thanks all just got it today

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2020, 06:15 PM »
using gps maps awesome and ice fishing mode great

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum