Author Topic: Line for lakers  (Read 2138 times)

Offline CanadianIce

• IceShanty Rookie
Line for lakers
« on: Mar 24, 2013, 11:35 AM »
Any suggestions for main line and leader? Thanks
Early to bed, early to rise, sit on the ice and make up lies

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Line for lakers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2013, 12:22 PM »
A good braid for mainline - there deep so you want about zero line stretch for a good hook set. A good fluorocarbon 3-4ft. for a little shock absorption.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2013, 07:14 PM »
20 lb  power pro with 20 ft. Of  25lb seaguar leader.....I go big because there was 44 inch caught last week...

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2013, 09:45 AM »
#25 to #30 Tuff Line Duracast and 3'-4' of similar weight Seaguar flourocarbon leader material.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2013, 08:28 PM »
I did forget to mention one thing - match your line to the weight of the fish in the lake.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2013, 10:11 PM »
I did forget to mention one thing - match your line to the weight of the fish in the lake.

HMMMMMMM, there aren't 60# fish in every lake?   ;D

Offline redneckrance

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Damn the Man
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2013, 01:59 AM »
I always use 8# power pro, and 10-12lb. Fluoro leader, but I don't use a leader when I'm fishing deeper then a 100 fow. I just landed a 42 1/2 incher the other day with 8# so it's not thick ass line or nothing. Plus the thinner the line the faster your jig gets to the bottom! Your reel is the important part, I have fallen in love with the large arbor pflueger reels! Stupid smooth drag and some serious line capacity. Here in Montana I regularly fish in over 250 fow. I caught my big one the other day in 307! 8-10# is more then sufficient. And I prefer power pro but I heard the suffix stuff is good too.

Offline Grizzlyadams73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2013, 10:03 PM »
30# nylon coated 7 strand wire with a 25 lb leader is what i use on lake superior

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2013, 09:06 AM »
I like the suffix 832 over power pro super slick.it seems to lay down better allowing for more line ob the reel.and it stays more limp in the cold than pp

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2013, 11:37 AM »
I want to start by saying that I have never caught any form of trout on a jig rod. But I do have a bit of information for those who have never used braided line (Im probly preaching to the choir, but it might be helpfull). Be ready for some shock on a shallow water hit. With no stretch, bites are easy to detect, and i had a 3-4lb Chain Pickerel (sorry about the slimer on the trout board) pounce my darter in 5 FOW, and nearly ripped the rod outta my hand. 2lb dia. braid is great for perch too, in the sensitivity aspect...   Sorry for the hijack.     
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.