Author Topic: Building a Wood Stove, plans & pictures?  (Read 65531 times)

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Building a Wood Stove, plans & pictures?
« on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:09 AM »
Hey Guys Im going to be finishing my 6'x8' shack this weekend and would like to put a wood stove in it. I am trying to keep my costs as low as possible and think I can just build my own. Do you guys have some pictures of yours I could take a look at? Has anyone found any plans for building them online, ones that might have some diagrams? Any pictures would be great! Thanks again

Stevo

Offline mosely

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Building a Wood Stove, plans & pictures?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:26 PM »
I do believe I saw one on this site that was made out of an old 20lb propane tank.  Check the fishing inventions thread.  It looked just right for an ice shack!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:47 PM »

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:04 PM »

does this do anything for you..its made from a empty freon tank...it would be foolish to use a full one.hehe

so this is the finished product ....sorry i do not have a side shot. The lid just swings out of the way. the chimney is 3" and is right below the lid..you would think that the stove would leak a lot of smoke but not a bit. When the top is swung out of the way to put more wood on...the smoke just exits the chimney only. My advice is if you use this freon container...make sure you put about 1 or 2 inches of sand on the bottom as the container is quite thin material...but lightweight also. I have had this stove smokin red hot.perfect size for a 4 man shanty.Hope this helps.PS   we have also added small pieces of angle iron to the bottoms of those legs for added stability.Also ...we spread those legs apart somewhat.The lid is perhaps 1/4 inch material.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:13 PM »

This is our other stove made from a 40 pound propane tank. The metal is much thicker than the above stove and my advice to anyone wanting to build one similar..is to use a larger chimney stack as this one will give out a bit of smoke when the door is opened.The thicker metal on this stove makes for less heat until the unit gets really stoked. The flat iron on top is a real bonus to make coffee etc. Made in Canada you say ..eh
If i had to do this one over again i would have made it stand in an upright position.

Offline hammerhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:29 PM »
There is a book called "Wood Stoves How to Make and Use Them" By Ole Wik Alaska Northwest Publishing Co. 1977. Real down to earth practical stuff if you can find a copy. There is a stove in the book made out of a 6 gal boat gas can that seems a good size for a sportsman. There is a factory made stove called a boxwood stove I think. Just a little tin stove but thay seem to last, and last time I bought one was only about $25. But I'm probably showing my age by quoting ancient prices.

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!

Offline tazman7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2008, 11:17 PM »
I am wanting to build a wood stove for the shanty I am vuilding right now- Do you think that a beer keg would work? Or would it be to light of metal?
You never know what you've had until you've lost it.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:10 AM »
I would think the most simple way would be with a standard 2 X 4 frame, plywood for the sides, top & bottom, front and back, A couple of hinges for the door and make that out of oak so it looks good. Saw a hole in the top for the chimney and you're ready to go. The disadvantage to this one is it will only work once!

:blink: :blink: :whistle: :unsure: :whistle: :blink: :blink:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline tazman7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:11 PM »
When you have a stove that is made out of a propane tank or something similar, doesnt the stove itself get red hot? And what do you put behind it/under it from keeping it from lighting your shanty on fire?

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:19 PM »
There is a book called "Wood Stoves How to Make and Use Them" By Ole Wik Alaska Northwest Publishing Co. 1977. Real down to earth practical stuff if you can find a copy. There is a stove in the book made out of a 6 gal boat gas can that seems a good size for a sportsman. There is a factory made stove called a boxwood stove I think. Just a little tin stove but thay seem to last, and last time I bought one was only about $25. But I'm probably showing my age by quoting ancient prices.

I wouldn't ever try to weld, cut or make a spark in any thing that has ever been a gas container. Gasoline can be held for years in any rust and still produce possibly explosive vapors.
"Be the one you want to catch"

Offline tazman7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:24 PM »
How about an air compressor that the motor fried on?

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hot stove
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:34 PM »
Yes, it will get hot, but so do all wood stoves
unless the walls of the stove are insulated
or very thick metal, which both are not options
in a shanty. The bottom usually does not get too hot
sand or double bottom helps this. Sides and rear
are important. To help with the wood walls, we line
them with metal and an inch air space behind it.
This pretty much handles most heat and keeps
the wood from scorching or igniting.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:09 PM »
I wouldn't ever try to weld, cut or make a spark in any thing that has ever been a gas container. Gasoline can be held for years in any rust and still produce possibly explosive vapors.

That is a good reminder Jack.  Never cut or weld any containers that held fuel unless they have been properly steam cleaned.  And if you are welding on a container, wether it once held fuel or not, make sure it is vented before you weld, otherwise the contained air expands from being heated and  KABBLLOOOYYY, and you're just a grease stain on the wall.

Offline acer7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2008, 10:49 PM »
I suggest you take your problem to a high school shop class. They could make that that off no problem.  And it won’t cost you anything for them to build it.

Offline doovz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2008, 09:11 AM »
I am wanting to build a wood stove for the shanty I am vuilding right now- Do you think that a beer keg would work? Or would it be to light of metal?

My stove is made out an old beer keg. The Keg isn't to light a metal. It actually is quite thick. Once you get the fire stoked it gets really hot. It is made out of Stainless Steel so should not rust out and will last a long time. I didn't make this keg. I came with a shack I bought. The plate on it is good for frying or heating things up.

Offline murphyslaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2008, 11:02 PM »

fill it with water. I have welded on many types of fuel tanks and lines.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2008, 11:36 PM »
That is a good reminder Jack.  Never cut or weld any containers that held fuel unless they have been properly steam cleaned.  And if you are welding on a container, wether it once held fuel or not, make sure it is vented before you weld, otherwise the contained air expands from being heated and  KABBLLOOOYYY, and you're just a grease stain on the wall.

It's a lot easier to remember if you've seen it happen.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2008, 11:47 PM »
fill it with water. I have welded on many types of fuel tanks and lines.

I wouldn't say it is impossible.

How many guys here you think can get away with it on their little home 110 wire out fit before one get's killed?

If we are going to tell them it's POSSIBLE to do it and survive, think we should also let them know to make sure the spot they are welding is below the water line and not to just fill it with water and try welding on the top where the air bubble is?

That's the most common position and favorite of most back yarders. I've seen the pro who "did it all the time" at the funeral home. I'm not doing it. It's not worth the money per hour I get paid at work and it's sure not worth it to me for the price of a home made wood stove.

If it's had fuel in it, I'm not welding on it. Period. Call the guy who says it's OK and he can weld it. Other wise cut the top out first, cut it in half, what ever but I'm not welding on any kind of restricted container that's had fuel in it.

Offline murphyslaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2008, 12:27 AM »
I used to do it for a living. Of you don't feel safe doing it, then dont.

another thing I do, is fill the container with argon.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2008, 01:23 AM »
Yer braver than I am.

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2008, 04:38 AM »
here is a safe easy cheap way to build a wood stove... use an old electric hot water heater. details are in the website

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/newhouse/newhouse-stove.html

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2008, 05:22 AM »
here is a safe easy cheap way to build a wood stove

Thanks for the plans teacup13.  I think the most important part of the plans is that the supplied air came from outside the structure.  Let that stove burn outside air, not suck cold air into a structure.  Just my $.02

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2008, 09:14 PM »
here is a safe easy cheap way to build a wood stove... use an old electric hot water heater. details are in the website

(Image removed from quote.)

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/newhouse/newhouse-stove.html

just absolutley love those fireplace utesils in the background !!

Offline Madbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2008, 01:02 PM »
Any suggestions on building a heater out of a twenty pound tank?
MADBOMBER ><))))))))))))))(*>

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #27 on: Mar 01, 2008, 07:06 AM »
Any suggestions on building a heater out of a twenty pound tank?
LEFT TURN JIMMY
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.