Author Topic: coroplast shack and Menards storage shed  (Read 118219 times)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: coroplast shack
« Reply #60 on: Apr 17, 2007, 06:46 PM »
Okay Brujharr, anything you build must get photographed and posted....

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Apr 17, 2007, 09:14 PM »
It's a deal, Mainedog! I, really think the coroplast shack is a great idea!   :bow:  When, I figure out how to scan pictures/prints and post them, (From a black and white Kodak 110, with the four-way flash cube on top) I'LL DO IT!!   :unsure:

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Apr 30, 2007, 08:39 PM »
Did the coroplast hold up, Mainedog?   ???

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2007, 09:44 AM »
Coroplast is fine after one season.
I think I will put a tarp over it to keep the sun off it during off season.
The Coroplast adds no structural strength.  All the strength comes from
the 3/4" polystyrene glued into the stick framing.  The coroplast just added
protection from the rain and snow.  Since it is not solid (a cross section
looks like cardboard), and since it is so soft (can be easily cut with a knife
or scissors), I would opt for some other solid, thin, lightweight, weatherproof,
material that can be worked using conventional tools, is not too expensive,
and can survive the cold temps and UV, and is weather proof.  When you
or anyone else has a suggestion, I'd be willing to give it a try on IceShack III.
I've considered selling the coroplast shack, but doubt I could recoup my material costs
which surpassed some to the more expensive pop-ups/sleds.  At this point though I'd
probably be willing to take a loss.  I had more fun building and testing it out.  My only
complaint is that I didn't get to use it enough this last season.  My wife has warned
me about turning my spare lot into an ice shanty graveyard.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Oct 24, 2007, 08:39 PM »
 I, can't believe it!   :o   Even, the the local neighbor, is interested in the coroplast shack!   ;D   

Offline brewer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Oct 24, 2007, 09:08 PM »
I built mine about 7-8 years ago ( with heavy modifications)...the original tarp is still on .There is a bit of wear on the rounded edges of the plywood from folding /refolding shack ....nothing that a bit of duct tape can't handle . Also a few scuff marks on the tarp from rubbing against trees/brush while towing by snowmachine to the lake .
I put a 10 inch pony wall all around the outside edge of the 4 x 8 plywood floor(for storage).The tarp comes most of the way down the walls , but doesn`t wrap underneath...therefore no wear in that area...except when folded .
All in all a pretty durable outfit .   

Was just looking over the instructions that were previously linked and have a question.  How do you install the ridge pole or poles so that they are removable to fold down the shack?

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Oct 24, 2007, 09:51 PM »
Don't know.  The coroplast shack is a hardside...From what I've seen some folks drill a hole in a piece of wood, or purchase a bracket (like used in a closest rod hanger)...but they always try to avoid the mooses!

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Oct 25, 2007, 09:54 PM »
    :laugh:  Ten bucks more, than neighbor bids!!   :laugh:

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:45 PM »
Just noticed this.  Look at the picture of the moose.  Look at the reflectors on my shack.  Look real closely at the horizontal row of reflectors (4 in a row) and then look just below them...two extra reflectors....not on the shack!  Look real closely again, and you can make out a head!   Either a deer, dog, or coyote....

P.S.  Thanks to all the nearly 7000 viewers of my coroplast thread!

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 06, 2007, 08:14 AM »
looks like a small doe

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Dec 06, 2007, 06:35 PM »
That makes sense.  I got some pics of a little bigger one (or one closer to the camera at least) later in the year. 

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 14, 2007, 02:05 PM »
Was just looking over the instructions that were previously linked and have a question.  How do you install the ridge pole or poles so that they are removable to fold down the shack?
The ridge pole is held tightly in place by the stretched plastic tarp .
At first I had keepers under the ridge pole but was very difficult, if not impossible , to insert/remove the pole .
Friction keeps it in place ...just hafta experiment to get the right length.
Just used one pole.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 16, 2008, 06:28 PM »
I ordered a hitch from Otter, designed for one of their larger sleds.  I mounted the bracket on the coroplast shack, and the hitch should work great with my snowsleds!  I look forward to adding some more pictures of the coroplast shack in action this year.  If not the coroplast, then perhaps the Shappells or the Cabelas kit!

Offline bondo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 16, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Mainedog, that is a pretty cool shack. I would like to build something similar to that. However I would like something around 200 to 250 pound area. I guess I am wondering if you think a shack like this would be able to take a lot of seasons on the ice. Or do you foresee any problems with it holding up after a few years.
Ron

Offline murphyslaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 16, 2008, 10:24 PM »
I would love to check it out but I got no pics.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 17, 2008, 09:51 PM »
I guess sharemation is not so sharing again...

Offline rogerrabbitis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 18, 2008, 01:24 PM »
hi nice hut.!! ;D jsut one of the pictures you have there got me wondering what material you used for the ski's.??

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 22, 2008, 09:55 PM »
2x4s lined with UHMW plastic.

Offline rogerrabbitis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:12 AM »
really....I live in ontario...where did yo buy that.??..thinking of using it for my portable. thanks

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:29 AM »

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:00 PM »
how did you attach the rigid foam to your frame ? Glue?

Does the coroplast add strenght.

I am thinking of using discarded coroplast signs to build a shanty

yes. Liquid nails between foam and wood frame.  There are a couple pieces (the horizontals) of pine behind the polystyrene, attached to the inside of the frame.  Screws with fender washers from the outside of the foam are then used.  See the build pictures.

No strength is added by the coroplast.  Snow, ice, rain protection is however.

If you build one, please post pictures!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:01 PM »
Home Depot and Lowes sell 4'x8' sheets of a fiberglass material used for waterproof installations such as shower walls.  I wonder if it would be liter than the aluminum sheets?

No.  And I am not sure how well it handles sub-zero temps....gets brittle and shatters?

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:03 PM »
MaineDog - 1st class building effort.  Do you dare hazard a guess on how much $ you've got tied up in the project?

Total (wood, paint, plastic, aluminum, polystyrene) materials cost: well over $500.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:04 PM »
Fine job you did, Mainedog!  I really like the clean lines and low weight.  Not a problem, but I'll bet you have to anchor it in any kind of wind.   :thumbsup:

Yes.  It is nick named "The White Box Kite" for a reason.  See a post above.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:05 PM »
Sweet looking shack.  :thumbsup: Let us know how warm it is. GREAT JOB

It is very, very warm.  Using propane heat inside presents the same problems as using propane heat inside a tent...the windows fog up and freeze.  Though the two air vents near the peak on each end help, as well as cracking the door.

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • To fish or not to fish...is a stupid question
« Reply #85 on: Jan 29, 2008, 11:39 PM »
coroplast............. ..available every election year free everywhere in the U.S after elections........say, like 2008!
The moon is much smaller than the earth, however, it is much farther away.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:21 PM »
Yeah, but who would want their shanty walls covered with Hillary or Romney slogans?

Offline theProfessor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Feb 10, 2008, 11:00 AM »
A cool shack for sure, nice work.

to the poster who wanted a similar shack only heavier:

i was thinking about making a shack using metal 2x2's that you can buy a menards' and fitting 1.5" foamboard inside the panels as i assemble. if you add some adhesive like mainedog used you should have a very sturdy shack, fairly light weight and warm as heck. put this on a base like maindog's and you would have a nice lightweight outfit.

now once the frame and roof is built you could check the weight and add metal siding, or aluminum or whatever to adjust the weight to what you want.

cheers
jerry
"Gilligan, where did you get that stick?"

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Mar 26, 2008, 10:59 PM »
Well, the second season of the coroplast shack is coming to an end.  I wish I fished more out of it.  I am lazy and leave it next to my camp, and use it only on that lake.  I did use it a couple times.  Once, I pulled it about 4 miles up the lake.  There was very little snow on the ice then, and pulled very easily behind the snowmobile (so much easier than my previous Green Monster).  I left the coroplast shack anchored down in the middle of the lake over night once, and returned the next morning to fish.  It was warm, great wind protection, and plenty of room for me and my gear.  Towing it home that day, I put some gear inside the shack, and the rest in my large Jet sled, which was then connected to the coroplast shack, and I pulled both shack and gear laden sled back to my part of the lake 4 miles away.

The new Otter hitch worked great!  I am very happy with that addition.  My only two complaints with the coroplast shack remain, 4' is not quite wide enough for my liking (still), and the skis need some modifications in order to go over/through deeper snow.  But it is very light, and very warm, and quite comfortable.

I will store it off season, like I did last year, with a tarp over it, out in a field away from the lake.  The coroplast roof (which I painted black) is holding up very well).  In fact, all of the coroplast is holding up well.  I should repaint the floor...I was planning to do that before the start of this season but didn't get to it.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Jul 23, 2008, 08:08 PM »
Well, the coroplast shack is spending the summer of '08 on top of my single/tilt ATV/sled trailer, with a blue tarp over it on the property "out back."

Who would of thought that the white "box kite" would last so long?  This Fall, I definitely will repaint the floor/runners, and I plan to use it more this year on the lake next to camp.  It is too light (easy to move/tow), too warm--not to. 

Hum, July 23, and I am thinking about the white plastic shack right now!  I will remount my trail cam up near the shack in a few weeks.  Hopefully, I'll catch some more interested "wildlife" in the area.  I have already come across a moose and large doe in the middle of the day up near the shack!

I just wish I'd a built it a foot wider, built the skis a bit deeper and a bit wider, but that Otter hitch I put on it last year was really a great improvement over my homemade conduit special.

Oh well, too many lakes, too few vacation days and holidays.

Cheers,
MD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.