Author Topic: New Ice Shack spring project  (Read 57639 times)

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Ice Shack spring project
« Reply #30 on: Jun 06, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Day 4 on "Project make my yard look like a bomb went off"  I was thinking that removing the old floor would be the easiest part of this project so far, it wasn't.  My plan was to use the trusty heavy duty spud bar and just pry it off.  That didn't work, low and behold the middle of the floor was pretty solid.  O.K. onto plan B.  Pull off the vinyl flooring and find all the screws, back them out and pull out the press board.  That didn't work either.  The rotten vinyl came off and left the glue and backing on the floor, I couldn't see the screws.  Onto plan C.  Break out the trusty jig saw.  Made some progress, but did not get it all completed today.  The old camper won this round.  Next Tuesday the battle will continue.  On a good note, the frame does look really good, may have to break out the wire wheel and go over it, then repaint or coat it.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #31 on: Jun 07, 2012, 06:54 AM »
You're gaining on it. Do you have a sawsall? That would make short work of the floor deck.

If you are going to go after the frame may I suggest POR-15? http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Preventive-Paint/products/1/

I have used on many projects and it is amazing stuff. You have it this far along, may as well make the frame protected forever.

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jun 07, 2012, 09:52 AM »
Lavman, how much of the PREP & READY and MARINE-CLEAN would you guestamate I would need for the frame?  The frame is approximately 6'6" X 12' plus the tongue.  Do you think that a gallon of each would do the trick?

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jun 07, 2012, 12:01 PM »
A quart of each would be plenty for the marine clean and the prep and ready, a pint of the paint would do it then you should top coat it with something, I use the spray undercoating that POR sells for $18/can, maybe 3 cans of the undercoating would do you for 2 coats on that frame. You'll be sealed and good to go.

A pint may not sound like much but this stuff is thin and covers really well, I bet you can get 2 coats of POR paint on the frame out of the pint. IF you are worried get the quart but I bet the pint would do it. WEAR THE GLOVES. You get the POR paint on you and you have to wear it off  ;D

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jun 08, 2012, 08:24 AM »
Sounds good, I'm going to order some right now.  I did notice that the company says to rinse it with hot water, I hope this isn't a dire necessity, I don't think the garden hose is going to get very hot.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jun 08, 2012, 09:10 AM »
Sounds good, I'm going to order some right now.  I did notice that the company says to rinse it with hot water, I hope this isn't a dire necessity, I don't think the garden hose is going to get very hot.

I used the garden hose as well, worked fine. Good luck with it!

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jun 20, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Finally got the floor off this beast.  Now to remove the last of the screws and cut off the old gas lines and wiring.  Hopefully in the next day or two I can get the frame treated.  My buddy says I should reinforce the leaf springs.  I may just remove the old axle and springs before treating the frame and replace it with a new set up.  Depending on how hot it is outside in the next couple days, maybe I can get something accomplished.

surflizard

« Reply #37 on: Jun 20, 2012, 11:59 AM »
Nice frame set up, lots of hole location options ! :thumbsup:

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jun 20, 2012, 04:04 PM »
you are making progress it will be all worth it when she is done

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jun 20, 2012, 04:50 PM »
I would like to be a little further ahead on this project, but I'm playing the wuss card.  It's too hot outside, so I do a little here and there.  I plan on dragging this project out for awhile.  I keep finding more places to dump money into it than I had anticipated.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #40 on: Jun 20, 2012, 05:55 PM »
Keep up the good work!! Play the wuss card!! It's 90+ degrees here and you've got pleanty of time yet. Wouldn't do any good to get heatstoke, now would it?? Love all the photos and will be following along with the build as you go!! There is alot of information on this site! Just ask the right questions to get help on any problems!! :thumbsup: :clap:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jun 20, 2012, 09:43 PM »
Sounds like a nice plan. Can't wait until it is finished so I can see it.

surflizard

« Reply #42 on: Jun 21, 2012, 05:19 AM »
Here are some shots of Joe Dirt's camper wheel house on the ice for inspiration ! Your doing a Great job ! :thumbsup:

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jun 21, 2012, 06:58 AM »
Slow and steady wins the race Luke, keep on chuggin along.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline rugby ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jun 21, 2012, 10:10 AM »
Looks like a fun summer project!!! Just think of how chilly it will be when using this and that off sets the 90degree temps.
http://

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #45 on: Jun 21, 2012, 12:49 PM »
Good things take time..... :thumbsup: Take all the time you need, it will be worth it for years.

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #46 on: Jun 22, 2012, 05:30 PM »
Looks good for sure. I am hoping to start my shanty re-hab in the next few weeks.

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jun 25, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Finally got something accomplished today.  The frame is completely stripped down.  Tomorrow afternoon my buddy is coming by to do some maintenance welds and help me remove the dent in the rear bumper.  Then hopefully we can hang the new axle and heavy duty springs.  Then I can treat the frame and coat it.

I did learn a valuable lesson today, when you pound out the last bolt to drop your axle, move your foot before it falls!!!

All hosed down and ready to be treated,  I think I displaced a family of chipmunks!

My carpenter buddy stopped by after work today and we put together a game plan for the upcoming build, Can't wait, maybe in the next couple weeks we can start putting some wood down.

surflizard

« Reply #48 on: Jun 26, 2012, 06:01 AM »
You got her looking real Good RJ, WellDone ! I see the A frame for your hitch is a tad longer then Joe Dirts was, it makes for a real nice out of the way spot for your heat source !

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jun 26, 2012, 09:17 AM »
I was thinking about doing that, but I tossed out the wood stove Idea for now.  I am going to utilize my buddy heaters.  I know that the down fall from previous experience is that I won't have a dry heat source and will have to deal with condensation. It's nothing that can't be changed later on down the road.  I am thinking of building a box in the front with an insert to hold gear and/or minnow buckets in place.  Then I will have a outdoor outlet near the box to plug in the oxygen pump for the minnows.  This should keep oxygen level up for them and keep the water from freezing.  I do like what Joe did on his build, but I want to stay away from doing a copy of his work.  Trying to keep it original, if that is really possible for a ice fishing shack.     

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jun 26, 2012, 12:18 PM »
Somebody please remind me why ice fishing is fun.  This project went from a nice simple build that looked good on paper to a night mare.  I keep thinking I'm making progress and getting one foot ahead, then Bam take three back.  Its a good thing that I'm not on any sort of time frame for this project.  My buddy tells me I should beef up my suspension, so I drop the axle and leaf springs.  It was a good idea until I went to the trailer dealership.  I took the old set up in for measurements.  No problem for the axle, but come to find out the leaf springs in a old pop up camper are not a normal size.  My springs are 30"  So after an hour of trying to come up with a solution, I was given a number to call a company that builds custom springs.  Can't wait to hear what the cost of that will be.  :'(  So my plan for the day to hang a new suspension is now null and void.  The new axle won't be here for 3 weeks.  Well on a good note, at least it will give me time to build up the funds again.  I'm thinking that it would have been cheaper to buy a Ice Castle.

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jun 26, 2012, 01:59 PM »
The trailer shop can stick it, I found the leaf springs I needed on line in five minutes.  The custom shop wanted $150.00 a spring, that's not happening.  I ended up going with a 3500 pound rated axle and 1500 pound springs.  Should do the trick I hope.  If nothing else, it's still a big improvement over the stock axle and springs.  Now I just have to wait for the parts to arrive.  It will give me a couple weeks to get the yard cleaned up.

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jun 27, 2012, 07:54 PM »
Another brilliant move on my part again today.  My frame is/was being held up by cheap plastic jack stands.  I found them in the camper so I used them, bad idea.  So I spent the whole day prepping the frame for painting.  Using the POR 15 system got to the Prep and Ready stage, rinsed it all off.  Now I'm running out of day light, I only have an hour and half for the frame to dry so that I can start painting.  So I then decide to lift up on the back of the frame to help drain out some of the water in the channels.  That's when physics took over and it all shifted forward and on the ground it goes.  I really need to learn to stop working on things when I get over tired.  So in the mean time the frame is now being held off the ground by two empty propane tanks, I know, not the the safest way to work, but it will do until morning.  Did I mention that lifting up a 12' frame by yourself really bites!! >:(  So new jacks stands are now on the shopping list for tomorrow.  I think I will send my boss a email and see if I can weasel a vacation day for tomorrow night and if that flies I should be able to get the frame painted.

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #53 on: Jun 27, 2012, 09:29 PM »
Stick with it my freind ! It will all be worth it in the end when your on the ice ! I've been where you are ( more than once )
 Take a step back !
I still have work to do on mine ( bump out roof Surf )
 When it's out there and The first fish comes up its all worth it !
  Best of luck !
---- Joe ----

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jun 27, 2012, 09:56 PM »
Thanks Joe, That's actually good advice, I go back to work tomorrow night and I am thinking that besides getting the frame painted I'm going to leave it be for a couple weeks.  Really can't do much until my axle and springs arrive, besides it will probably take me those two sets of days off to clean up my mess in the yard from the demolition.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Jun 28, 2012, 06:52 AM »
I couldn't help but notice the new fenders you got for your build. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but the old ones looked like dumpster filler!! Are they galvanized, or will you be treating them along with the frame ??? Keep up the good work and don't get in a hurry. You have pleanty of time and it's easier to think things out and do it just once, than to have to re-do something!! Hang in there!! :thumbsup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jun 28, 2012, 07:25 AM »
I couldn't help but notice the new fenders you got for your build. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but the old ones looked like dumpster filler!! Are they galvanized, or will you be treating them along with the frame ??? Keep up the good work and don't get in a hurry. You have pleanty of time and it's easier to think things out and do it just once, than to have to re-do something!! Hang in there!! :thumbsup:

I haven't decided on what I'm going to do with the fenders at this point.  It's going to depend on how were work them into the build.  I picked them up at Tractor Supply and did not have any measurements with me that day, so it was pure guestimating on how they would fit.  They ended up being a tad bit longer and the width was a little shorter than I wanted, but overall they will still get used.

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #57 on: Jun 28, 2012, 07:40 AM »
Oh boy do I know about doing things over ! Put the roof on 4 times !!!
What are your plans for insulation ? I didn't do the floor at first and ended up going back and doing it ! It makes a huge difference ! I have wood heat so a little went along way . Had it up over 90 several times ! Surf will tell he slept out in it on the coldest night last winter ( with wind chill it was well below zero ) and he was in heat heaven !

---- Joe ----

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jun 28, 2012, 08:01 AM »
How much POR 15 did you end up ordering? The more I look at that frame and all the surface area the more I think 2 pints may be needed for 2 coats.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Jun 28, 2012, 09:09 AM »
Oh boy do I know about doing things over ! Put the roof on 4 times !!!
What are your plans for insulation ? I didn't do the floor at first and ended up going back and doing it ! It makes a huge difference ! I have wood heat so a little went along way . Had it up over 90 several times ! Surf will tell he slept out in it on the coldest night last winter ( with wind chill it was well below zero ) and he was in heat heaven !

There was an old saying my Mom used to tell me when I was a kid: "The hurrieder you go, the behinder you get!" I believe it's PA Dutch!! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.