Author Topic: Willie's Ice Shanty Build Thread  (Read 66810 times)

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Willie's Ice Shanty Build Thread
« Reply #30 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:40 PM »
I used the same steel on our shack, for the door I picked up a reject door at Menard's also 5 bucks i think it was.  steel door exterior door no jam.  used some hinges that were in the shop, may even be old door hinges would have to look again.  use self tap screws right into the stud (can not have a very big head so the door will close farther with out binding) and the other side into the wood of the door.  Added a stud where needed for the other side and ran the inside plywood 1/2 past the door opening (inside) all the way around for the door to close and seal to.  The top, bottom and opposite side of the hinges we added thin self adhesive weather strip on that 1/2 inch lip for a even tighter seal.  A nice camper door would be nice, but if you want a cheap door that works just as well i think you could try this method too.  Exterior steel door is already insulated and ready to go as well too.  I can try to get you a pic if you need to see how we did ours, just let me know and i will get you some.  Oh yea to finish the tin, just cut to fit some J channel.  that also works for the corners of the shack and the top too where the tin will meet the roof tin.  Like i said if you want to see a detail pic just let me know and i will email you some would be more than willing to if you think  it will help ya out.

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:02 PM »
I used the same steel on our shack, for the door I picked up a reject door at Menard's also 5 bucks i think it was.  steel door exterior door no jam.  used some hinges that were in the shop, may even be old door hinges would have to look again.  use self tap screws right into the stud (can not have a very big head so the door will close farther with out binding) and the other side into the wood of the door.  Added a stud where needed for the other side and ran the inside plywood 1/2 past the door opening (inside) all the way around for the door to close and seal to.  The top, bottom and opposite side of the hinges we added thin self adhesive weather strip on that 1/2 inch lip for a even tighter seal.  A nice camper door would be nice, but if you want a cheap door that works just as well i think you could try this method too.  Exterior steel door is already insulated and ready to go as well too.  I can try to get you a pic if you need to see how we did ours, just let me know and i will get you some.  Oh yea to finish the tin, just cut to fit some J channel.  that also works for the corners of the shack and the top too where the tin will meet the roof tin.  Like i said if you want to see a detail pic just let me know and i will email you some would be more than willing to if you think  it will help ya out.

Thanks for the info.  Yes, if you used any of the pro-rib detail pieces for the corners and what not, the more pics the better.  I have been bouncing back forth between conventional house style roof and single slant roof but i am not sure how to do the detail parts from pro-rib.  Was thinking i would just just some 1"x 6" and detail it out myself.

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:29 PM »
So who's gonna come help me build a shack this weekend???..................  I have beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrr rrrrrrrrrrr  ;D

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:35 PM »
Dibs. Haha

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:36 PM »
You'd have a bit of a drive, plus we don't like vikings fans into Green Bay  anymore :)

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:55 PM »
But we let Favre fall apart on our team!! You should be thanking us Vikings! Ha!

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:35 PM »
Picked up the trailer today!!  I have it sitting at work right now, going to wire brush it and paint it tomorrow night.  I'll be sure to get some before and after pics!

I am having second thoughts on building the shanty this season.  I may just paint it and drop the floor on it this year and wait till fall to build the shanty.

Offline ice_hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • PROUD MEMBER OF THE F.O.E.O.A.
« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2011, 02:33 AM »
Picked up the trailer today!!  I have it sitting at work right now, going to wire brush it and paint it tomorrow night.  I'll be sure to get some before and after pics!

I am having second thoughts on building the shanty this season.  I may just paint it and drop the floor on it this year and wait till fall to build the shanty.

you are gonna torture us and make us wait till fall?        damn man, we already experiencing withdrawals because of the lack of pics with the updates          LOL

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:12 AM »
here's a teaser:

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #39 on: Jan 07, 2011, 02:04 PM »
it's coming along.   Eventually I plan on building a drop down, b/c dragging my shack up/off a trailer and out on the ice is getting to be old and so am I.

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:57 PM »
It's going to be really nice for keeping the house jacked up, then drilling your holes out to minimize the slush in your house.

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:01 PM »
it's coming along.   Eventually I plan on building a drop down, b/c dragging my shack up/off a trailer and out on the ice is getting to be old and so am I.

I know what you mean. I am only 31, but im aging faster than my time. I feel as stiff as a board when i wake up in the morning.  Last year was the last straw for me dragging my shack, so this year a scored an awesome deal on a '72 Panther to do the work for me!

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:02 PM »
It's going to be really nice for keeping the house jacked up, then drilling your holes out to minimize the slush in your house.

Yup, pull to the spot, climb in and drill the holes, drop the shack and fish away!!

FYI, i got the first coat of bedliner on Friday night, hopefully i'll get another coat on Monday.  I had a change of heart on my tires, so i need to make a 1/4" spacer for my wheel hubs so i can run a larger/wider tire without hitting the suspension arm.

Offline PauliePiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:59 AM »
This thing looks awesome,can not wait to see it done.Please continue to send drawings and photos.
ICE THOSE FISH!!!

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:24 PM »
UPDATE

Due to a turn of recent events, my wife and son are taking a vacation out of town to visit some friends in Ohio where we used to live.  So I now have Thurs night till Monday to fish, fish, fish, fish :)  My plan is to start building that shanty Thursday night after work.

I scored an AWESOME deal tonight on a door.  I called the camper place where we just bought our new travel trailer from last year and he had a door with some minor dings sitting around and gave it to me for only $75 bucks!!!  Im so stoked about that since the door was giving me a headache on what to do.

So stay tuned!!!!

Offline clw74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 08, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Looks like a nice setup.  How did this build turn out for you?  Do you have any pictures?  What design software did you use? Thanks.

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 08, 2011, 12:34 PM »
Nope, sold the trailer this spring and never built a shack on it.  I have since built one on a camper frame (search my SN under the ice shack section).

I use SolidWorks.

Offline clw74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:38 AM »
Thanks for getting back to me.  I saw your camper build and it looks like things are going well.  Good luck this year.

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:32 AM »
Cant wait to see the progress on this Willie

Offline AKmud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Nov 05, 2012, 11:03 AM »
So.......did this ever get finished??

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Apr 06, 2015, 07:07 PM »
yeah, how about an update??

(Mud, love your shop work - might want to talk to you sometime about ideas for something similar to this...need more room for kids and I'm sick of the 'adventure' of getting a fish house on and off the trailer.  See you on the other forum)

Offline wyattboche

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Nov 01, 2017, 08:00 AM »
Did you ever finish this shack?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.