Author Topic: Insulating shack floor  (Read 3947 times)

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
Insulating shack floor
« on: Oct 26, 2017, 06:48 AM »
I have a pop up camper converted to a shack. it sits up off the ice roughly 10 ". Would it be beneficial to insulate the floor? I was thinking about sandwiching foam board insulation between plywood. I've been told both ways,it will be beneficial or its a waste of time. Some say with it being off the ice it wont help.
Others say the opposite. I'm looking for advice if anyone has done it and seen any benefit? Thanks in advance!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Insulating shack floor
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2017, 07:40 AM »
Insulation is going to help in heat retention no matter where you put it I wouldn't listen to anyone who says otherwise. Insulation, foam/blue board is just that, an insulator. Having said that... the floor of my shack is the only thing that is not insulated  ???. Thick PT plywood on the floor whereas luan on the walls. I told myself if I need to I'll insulate the floor I'll do it some off season. I haven't seen the need to. Banking snow around your walls helps a lot. If your floor ices up, insulation will help for sure. Not too sure if I would sandwich it between plywood cause of the weight it would add. My $.02.
It must be something in the water.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2017, 07:55 AM »
I used a converted popup camper for quite a few years with no floor insulation. I wore insulated boots to keep from getting cold feet, but could get along with mocassins while making breakfast and other chores in the morning. It would have been nice to have the floor insulated, but not necessary. I think spray foam insulation on the underside would be best for a popup.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2017, 08:39 AM »
Thanks guys! Spray foam underneath sounds like the way to go if I decide to insulate. Will that absorb moisture if you tow it on wet roads etc?

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2017, 09:00 AM »
Better check to see if what you intend to use is closed cell foam or you might wind up with wet, soggy foam that will add additional weight to your shanty.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2017, 04:35 PM »
Better check to see if what you intend to use is closed cell foam or you might wind up with wet, soggy foam that will add additional weight to your shanty.
Agreed! If not using closed cell insulation you could use blueboard rigid foundation foam board.
I also bought a pop up camper and will retrofit. Im taking out the wafer board plywood from before. I am using insulated garage door panels.

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2017, 06:34 AM »
See a lot of guys with garage door panels. Neat way to do it and no maintenance!! Thanks for the input guys!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.