Author Topic: wheels  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
wheels
« on: Sep 07, 2010, 11:55 PM »
I have a, not sure what to call it, Ontario or Dewalt style portable house. The kind that folds down relatively flat. Do to the materials I used it can be a bit heavy on land and ice to lug around. I planned on rebuilding it this year, but can already tell I am not going to have that kind of time. So I was thinking of putting some casters on it. That would help the land transport issues but how bad will that be on the ice? If there is some snow on the ice, will the pulling be that much harder.
I was thinking of something like this. Tire size: 200x45 mm. That is a good size tire, so may be a bit big.

What do you think?

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: wheels
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2010, 08:58 AM »
wouldn't work bad on ice, but if there is any snow at all, you would get it stuck instantly.   Is there a way to mount some old skiis on it?  With skiis, it would be really smooth on the ice, and should float over the snow with ease.  I bet you could find some old cheap skiis at a thrift, or 2nd hand store.   let us know what you do, and how it works.

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2010, 09:54 AM »
I have some skis on it now, they aren't cutting it though. Not sure if it is a weight issue or I need to put some better skis on it.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2010, 11:14 AM »
Catfish78,
  The casters will jam and not turn with the smallest bit of stone on land or chip of ice. Also deep snow will cause problems like Oyler stated. I would go with skis since you are in Finland where Ski Jumping is popular try and find a used pair of skis use for this sport. I believe they are wider then alpine or cross country skis to create more air resistance for the jumper and keep them aloft longer. This extra width should give you better floatation of the sled on snow. Like snow shoes keep you from sinking as deep as you would in snow with only boots on your feet . Good luck with this project.
  Steve

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Have you tried wider ski's?  If you can find an old wood toboggan and cut it in half that may work.  I push a cart at work with my tools on it and any obstruction stops it instantly.  I think in snow the wheels will dig in and get stuck, similar to when a car gets stuck on the lake in the snow.

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2010, 06:43 AM »
Not sure why I didn't think of Ski jumping skis. I pass a ski jump ramp on the way out to the lake. I will try to get my hands on some.
I knew that wheels in the snow wouldn't be a great idea, but had to throw it out there.

Thanks all

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2010, 11:16 PM »
How did you mount your skis? You need to raise the hut up some. I screwed the skis right to the bottom of my home made portable and couldnt pull it. Added 12" high "stilts" and it pulls with 1/4 the effort. Photo is my hut in fishing mode.After I fold it up I have hinges on the boards that hold the skis on. You can see the skis hanging out the sides. Pick up and lock each side on and off you go, hut is 12" off the ice when pulling it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.