Author Topic: 8 x 8 permanent shack pics and tips  (Read 38470 times)

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
Re: 8 x 8 permanent shack pics and tips
« Reply #30 on: Jan 04, 2005, 09:25 AM »
your using aspenite chipboard for a floor? i guess it could work..

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2005, 09:41 AM »
your using aspenite chipboard for a floor? i guess it could work..

i used advantech panels   read up its the good stuff  ;)

http://www.tnloghomes.com/advantech.shtml

Offline JohnPorter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2005, 10:46 AM »
leave it to a carpenter to have these links available ;D
MY COMPETITION STANDS NO CHANCE !!!!!!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2005, 10:50 AM »
leave it to a carpenter to have these links available ;D
;D ;) 

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2005, 10:51 PM »
Billditrite ..so after you framed the floor , you sat the frame on two 2x10's , which then became the studs(2nd in from each side )..so would in effect end up with skids that were 5 1/2 inches deep...ingenious ....or am I visualizing this wrong ? I guess a person could use 10 foot long 2x10's , notch them out to fit the floor-frame sills and then it would really be solid ...or do you consider this as over-engineering ? Did you box in the bottom of the floor  ...for a warmer floor ? Too heavy ?

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Oct 17, 2006, 12:31 PM »
I'm thinking about making a shack that uses your design (half the width), but I have a few questions.  How did you attach the roof?  How did you frame the roof?  I'm a total newb to construction projects.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Oct 18, 2006, 05:00 AM »
I'm thinking about making a shack that uses your design (half the width), but I have a few questions.  How did you attach the roof?  How did you frame the roof?  I'm a total newb to construction projects.

the roof is simply 2x4's on edge and screwed up through the top plat of the wall, i used the same hardboard foam insulation for sheathing on the roof to keep the weight down.

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Oct 18, 2006, 11:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I am going to pick up the supplies this weekend.  I have a couple more questions for you.  How is the floor holding up with the skid stop paint?  I am going to make mine 8'X4', should I put my door on the narrow side or the wide side?  Would chip board hold up for the side walls or should I buy regular plywood?  Thanks again.

Dan

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Oct 19, 2006, 03:48 AM »
the floor is holding up very well,,iti is important to paint both side and the edges...it will last forever that way  ;)

the door you want to put on a side that doesnt drip...so if you have a pitched roof make sure your door goes on a gable end  ;)

the O.S.B. will hold up fine if you paint it every couple years or so but its heavy  :-\  thats why i just put it on the corners and use the shees of celotex or other hard board foam inbetween

hope this helps and feel free if ya got any more questions. keep us posted and take some pics!

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Oct 19, 2006, 11:13 AM »
Thanks for the answers.  I'll probably start a new thread when I start building it and I will try to take pictures.

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Oct 23, 2006, 06:39 PM »
Where should I put a tow hitch?  What should I use?  I would hate for the shack to fall apart when I drag it out onto the ice.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Oct 24, 2006, 05:27 AM »
very good question...i have seen some shacks get heavily damaged dragging from the wrong spot...i try not to tow mine. i load it on a double wide 8x8 snowmobile trailer to transport it to the lake...when i get there i leave it on the trailer and use my atv to bring it out as long as the snow is not too deep...a also built a wooden sled to put the shanty on to drag it...the runners are 2x10with sharp angles at the ends...the runners also run at a 45 degree angle so the shack gets pulled from the corner rather than a flat side...helps to keep the snow from building up in front while your dragging it...hope this helps a little  ;)

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Oct 24, 2006, 11:20 AM »
I have the 2X10 runners, but I have no idea where I should put a tow point at. 

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Oct 24, 2006, 12:08 PM »
I have the 2X10 runners, but I have no idea where I should put a tow point at. 

I thru bolted u-bolts to the runners on all 4 corners of mine....can haul it from either end.  good size diameter eye bolts would work fine.

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Oct 24, 2006, 03:35 PM »
I thru bolted u-bolts to the runners on all 4 corners of mine....can haul it from either end.  good size diameter eye bolts would work fine.

Do you have any pics?

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Oct 25, 2006, 08:10 AM »
Do you have any pics?

you can barely see them but I've got skis back to back (tips of skis on both ends), and the u-bolts are on either end of the bottom stringer, about 6 inches in from the corner. I just clip my tow ropes to the u-bolts and I'm good to go...

light weight cedar frame and the skis keep them from plowing snow and they haul real nice....there's no snow in these pics, but you'll get the idea

if you don't have a front and rear stringer, just get good size eye bolts and go through the side.  Grade 8 if you can find them so there's less of a chance they'll bend. 

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:31 AM »
Did you the cable through the runners, from back to front?  I'm thinking of putting an u-bolt on each runner, then running a rope through them and using that.  Will that work?

I have left over tar paper from roofing my house this summer.  Will the tar paper be strong enough or should I shingle it? 

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Oct 25, 2006, 10:20 AM »
I just go from the u-bolts on the front to my sled with one rope and tie the two halves together with another one.  Just gotta be careful not to stop too quick on glare ice... :%$#!: 

just make sure wherever you pull from is rugged enough, in other words, stay at least  4" minumun from the end of your 2" x 10". I wouldn't use anything less than 3/8" u-bolts.

if you can rip that tarpaper....I wouldn't use it, but someone else may tell you different.

if you can find it, any kind of thin sheet metal siding. that comes in decent size sheets, and isn't too heavy.

we used rubber on mine, but I think any thick flexible plastic would work. If you frame the roof out with enough 2" x 2" or whatever you're using, you can get it nice and tight, keep the noise down when the wind is howling, and would be pretty durable.

what I'd REALLY love is to come across a couple 4' x 8' sheets of clear plexiglass for those bright sunny days on the ice.   8)

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Oct 25, 2006, 01:20 PM »
The tar paper is pretty strong.  I have left over shingles, so I will probably end up shingling it.  All I have to do is shingle the roof, paint, hang the door, and add the u-bolts.  I got low temperature paint in midnight blue.  It is turning out pretty nice.   :)

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 01, 2006, 11:16 PM »
i used big eye bolts on all corners of my shanty , they also wrok good for the anchor points
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.