The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strike Master Mag 2000 problem !  (Read 8290 times)

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Strike Master Mag 2000 problem !
« on: Feb 18, 2007, 06:57 PM »
Thanks in advance for any suggestions !
I have a 6 year old Mag 2000 that suddenly decided it was going to start binding and bogging down in the last two or three inches of a drill . It will drill great for the first part of the hole but starts acting up towards the last couple inches .
I have a brand new auger bit and blade with less than 20 holes on it and the auger will run top notch again until the last couple of inches .
I don't horse it and always use fresh fuel , added a new plug and clean filter , the vent is open and the bit rpm is good for the first part of the hole .
Any ideas are greatly appreciated !
Thank you .

JJ

Re: Strike Master Mag 2000 problem !
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2007, 09:49 PM »
Softer, wet ice near the water will cause this, it just doesn't cut as well as the hard ice. Probably got worse after snow on the ice, too right?

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:02 AM »
Softer, wet ice near the water will cause this, it just doesn't cut as well as the hard ice. Probably got worse after snow on the ice, too right?

I cut ten tip-up holes yesterday and it cut through the top 8 " of hard ice in  each hole great but it's the bottom 2-3 inches when it wants to bind and bog down !

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:48 AM »
I have the same auger and mine has done that from day one, all auger seem to do that at the bottom of the hole, I just ease up on the pressure and it cuts right through.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:53 AM »
I have the same auger and mine has done that from day one, all auger seem to do that at the bottom of the hole, I just ease up on the pressure and it cuts right through.
I tried that and it still catches . The auger and blade is new and my old one didn't do it at all so I'm wondering if the problem may be the way it was made and maybe the pitch of the auger or the blade may be off just enough to make it do this .
I'm going to switch back to the old bit and blade today and try it to see if that makes any difference .

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:56 AM »
Hope it's not the case, but if you have somehow bent the auger shaft, then this will cause it to bind-up the deeper you cut. :-\ :tipup:

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:36 AM »
See if your screw on the shaft is tight.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:43 PM »
try tweeking the auger govenor to get a few more rpm's......just remember this will void a warrenty if it is new!
BUD

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:53 PM »
Mine does the same thing. Thought something was wrong. Remember it only has 1 cutting and is a chipper blade. I think when it gets down to the last few inches the point is below the ice and the blade has to work a little harder. I believe it's a characteristic of the auger itself. Does anyone out there have a different model STRIKEMASTER????? If so how does it cut??? Thanks.
      Kim :tipup: :tipup: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobby T.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishaholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:58 PM »
I asume you are on the same lake? what was your early season weather like . if you have honey comb ice or air pockets your mag will bind in these type of conditions. try another lake maybe its the ice not your auger
Why be a couch potato..When you can be an ice spud.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:22 PM »
Mine did the same thing change your blades sounds like they are getting dull. My strikemaster did the same thing changed the blades now like hot knife through butter.  :tipup:

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:53 PM »
I think what's happening is that when the "point" breaks thru the bottom, it releases water into the hole and that somehow reduces the effectiveness of the chipper blade.  Same thing happens to my "2000"....I just ignore it and keep on cuttin'!

IceBalls

Offline ice023

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:47 AM »
i know the old jiffy is known for bogging down at the end of a hole, i bought the strikemaster lazer and have never had a problem, we have 3 of them in our group and not one of them do it. 

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty well-preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW What a Ride!"

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:47 AM »
I have a strikemaster Cobra, 3hp 10". It does exactly the same thing. I have my blade set pretty aggresively too. Cut through 14" of ice in about 20 seconds. I find that if I let the wait of the auger take the last couple inches, it cuts through ok. Also, it is important to try and keep the auger as straight as you can and not have it tilted in any 1 direction. Love this auger!  I also had a mag 2000 but it never behaved like this.

IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2007, 07:13 AM »
THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS GUY'S !!
I finally figured it out ! All I had to do is adjust the throttle cable and extend the reach a little for more rpm .
The clutches work on centrifugal force and weren't able to engage because of too low of rpm , once I had the required rpm it worked .

Thanks again for all the suggestions .

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2007, 03:35 PM »
worked for me
BUD

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:56 PM »
anyone mix the gas oil ratio different Iv heard it give u more rpm

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2007, 07:09 AM »
yeah ames oil can be used 100-1.  I have friends that swear by it.
BUD

Offline pyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:46 AM »
I use a 25 year old Magnum 3,which was my fathers. Thing runs like a top but does the same thing at the end of the hole. I just let it do its thing and doesnt bind hard once you get the feel for it and know when your near the end.

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:46 PM »
not a good thing when in competition though!
BUD

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2007, 06:07 PM »
anyone mix the gas oil ratio different Iv heard it give u more rpm
Yea, have a new jiffy, followed the 24/1 mix printed all over it, ran terrible. Dealer gave me a little 1.8 oz cello packet of "Opti-2 2 cycle engine lubricant" for 1 gal gas. Runs better. I did make him write his recommendation on the repair order just in case of warrentee problems. Back in the day you increase the ratio to get more revs, risking a scoured cyl. wall. Guess times be changin.

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2007, 06:19 PM »
My '58 EasyBoy has A 3hp 4 stroke techumseh and an 8in chipper and does the same thing at the bottom of the hole if I'm not carefull it will actually snub out. No matter how think the ice it cuts great and throws the ice 4ft away until that last 3inches.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2007, 07:32 PM »
What mix do you run, I run 50 to 1 with a good oil, and it runs great!
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.