The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: power or hand auger?  (Read 6114 times)

Offline 2inchofice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mass hick and proud
power or hand auger?
« on: Sep 23, 2006, 01:02 AM »
I've read in the past that a power auger is actually less likely to spook fish than a hand auger?  What do you think?  I can't wait to hit first ice for those spooky salmon and am wondering since I'll be fishing thin ice if I should use a hand auger or gas? ???
NObody understands ice the way we do.

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: power or hand auger?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2006, 01:51 AM »
Depends on the type of fish.  For Pike and Perch, a power auger won't spook em.  For Walleye, you need to do it manually on thin ice.
fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Offline southend517

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saginaw Bay MI
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2006, 07:38 AM »
I have both - when it is a cold winter and the ice is over a foot thick I don't care if I spook anything it is alot easier then the hand crank.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2006, 08:15 AM »
augers attract fish. Too often Ive seen people move close  and start catching fish as soon as they drill and get their lines down, while we have the fish move off.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2006, 10:41 AM »
My feelings on this is if you have a power auger use it or why buy one

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2006, 11:25 AM »
When its first safe ice i go light with the hand auger and a bucket, when the ice gets thicker i'll take the shanty which hold the battery and the elect. auger. We may not get as much ice as our northern bretheren but moving around a lot and punch 40 or 50 holes a day gets tiring on the middle aged muscles.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2006, 11:43 AM »
When its first safe ice i go light with the hand auger and a bucket, when the ice gets thicker i'll take the shanty which hold the battery and the elect. auger. We may not get as much ice as our northern bretheren but moving around a lot and punch 40 or 50 holes a day gets tiring on the middle aged muscles.

TH, what kind of electric do you have?   Kind of battery, etc...feel free to PM if you want.  Im very serious about buying an electric. thanks

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2006, 02:03 PM »
augers attract fish. Too often Ive seen people move close  and start catching fish as soon as they drill and get their lines down, while we have the fish move off.
augers do attract fish? i think it gets them movin' around  ??? we used to start auger every time the action slowed down :'(  although i never caught a striper was told any noise spooks them, some guys drill holes in the morning then fish them later in the day :o i use a hand auger now but mighy need to get rid of the model 30 it weighs a ton. :flex: :flex: :flex: :flex:thinkin. about a lite model :thumbsup:  mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2006, 02:44 PM »
If you have to drill the holes yourself- use the power auger- common now, we are mostly men here and when given the choice we will use POWER TOOLS :o :o :o!  If you have some one with you willing to drill the holes, save the gas and hand him the manual auger, but remember to offer to clear the holes!

Icy Mike

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2006, 03:54 PM »
I always thought that in shallow water (to 20' ) either power or a hand auger would scare fish to some extent, then I used an Aqua Vu and found that this was just not true.With the camera on the fish I had my partner drill holes all around me using both types of augers and saw no reaction at all,he tried reeving the engine  with the auger in the hole -nothing I even tried banging the skimmer on the ice-nothing.This was watching Crappies,Perch Bass and Pike,at different times.The only reaction that I have seen was walking on clear ice over shallow water  8)

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2006, 04:14 PM »
I think once the ice gets to about 6 inches ill take my power auger out, I wouldnt be too happy if I fell thru with the power auger  :-\

Offline zooker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2006, 04:51 PM »
i like a power auger for some things. face it punching holes in 30"+ of ice sucks with a hand drill.  i like to reopen holes with a hand drill i do prefure a 4-5" laser hand drill..for that task..

though i got to say nothing is quite as eye opeaning like hitting a tree limb half way thru with a power auger..

zooker
cranked by optima pushed by powertech in a word YAMAHA..

MikeThePike

« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2006, 08:11 PM »
Wether one will spook fish more than the other or even at all can vary from species to species and even lake to lake. I've used a power auger and lost count of how many times I've gotten flags before i even finish setting up. A lot of guys say that fish like pike and muskies will actually be attracted to the noise and will come to see what is going on. I know on several occasions now I've seen muskies cruising under the holes when I'm gone to scoop them out.

Once the ice is 6" thick I'm using the gas auger. I didn't spend all the money to have it sit home.

trapperdirk

« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2006, 12:53 AM »
I always thought that in shallow water (to 20' ) either power or a hand auger would scare fish to some extent, then I used an Aqua Vu and found that this was just not true.With the camera on the fish I had my partner drill holes all around me using both types of augers and saw no reaction at all,he tried reeving the engine  with the auger in the hole -nothing I even tried banging the skimmer on the ice-nothing.This was watching Crappies,Perch Bass and Pike,at different times.The only reaction that I have seen was shallow clear water and clear ice 8)

Sensible answer lad . If your cutting ice ,,your cutting ice and some noise will be transferred no doubt and I'm seeing some fast hand augers but that shaving style blade underneath a power head gets the job done faster and with less efort . Its cutting and transferring vibrations underneath regardless . Hand augers take longer . Same blades , HMMMMMMMMMMMM . I believe in limiting on ice noise but the auger whether hand or power has nothing to do with it . We drill holes and if I do it with a powerhead or not ,,,,some more will know

I may as well get over with  it. I
m going to bed

TD

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2006, 06:51 PM »
I carry both, on thinner ice I use a hand auger, not because Im afraid to spook fish, but becuase I feel the power auger is not needed

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 2006, 07:56 PM »
I use the Moro hand auger as a loaner....but.....the guys I always loan it to leave it at their houses and borrow my gas one. I hate loaning out my gas auger more than twice to a guy. If he uses it more than that, he needs to buy his own.

If it has been warm overnight, I just take the hand auger to pop the holes open.....otherwise.... ..GAS!
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 25, 2006, 01:40 PM »
I will only use the hand auger on ice thinner then 6" after that the gas comes out with me all the time.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 25, 2006, 03:17 PM »
TH, what kind of electric do you have?   Kind of battery, etc...feel free to PM if you want.  Im very serious about buying an electric. thanks

Sorry i didn't get back sooner, forgot i even posted this. Now i gotta go out in my shed to look and see what it is, not mistaken tho it's a Strikemaster Lazer. Will definately look tonight and reply tomorrow.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 25, 2006, 03:18 PM »
hand auger
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 25, 2006, 03:38 PM »
Hand auger here but that's only because I have been to cheap to go buy a power one.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 25, 2006, 04:56 PM »
Moro...whether it's 6" or 36."

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #21 on: Sep 25, 2006, 05:55 PM »
,,,,hmmmm,  why not both???   I mean I have both and use them depending on ice thickness.  More than 14 cranks with a hand auger and I'm done with it,   then it's eskimo shark and 10 inch holes  :o.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Sep 25, 2006, 05:58 PM »
I will go with the spud until the ice is safe, then the Jiffy comes out till the end of the season. ;D

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 25, 2006, 06:25 PM »
Unless your fishing for your salmon in three feet of water, I dont think the power auger is going to have much effect :D

Power all the way!

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 25, 2006, 08:10 PM »
I like the traveling light during first ice, but once the ice gets upto 6 inches, its time to hit the gas! :tipup:
CEO

Offline rondo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Sep 25, 2006, 09:18 PM »
I prefer the Lazer hand auger(6in).  The ice on a lot of WI lakes has been too thin for cars and trucks the last couple years.  I also don't worry about the smell of gas on my hands.

camo_fish

« Reply #26 on: Sep 26, 2006, 05:05 AM »

:P no thanks, I use my gas auger, cause I bought it to use.  ;) Then we can set back and enjoy the serenity..... ;D

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #27 on: Sep 26, 2006, 09:54 AM »
The 10 inch Jiffy comes out on every trip!!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 26, 2006, 10:38 AM »
Early in the season I will travel light and use the hand auger up to 5 or 6 inches then the gas auger will come out. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

PIKEGUY

« Reply #29 on: Sep 26, 2006, 11:46 AM »
I have some chronic shoulder issues that keep me from being as efficient as I'd like with a hand auger after about 8 inches..Then it's time for the Power auger  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.