The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Propane ice auger  (Read 7253 times)

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Propane ice auger
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2015, 02:37 PM »
Went to Scheels on Friday and they exchanged my HC40 for a new one. Took it out this morning and put it together. When I was putting it together I noticed a clicking noise coming from the gearbox when it would spin. Filled it up with oil and fired it up, started up real nice but the gearbox is grinding when I hit the throttle. Now I'm deciding on exchanging this one for another one or if I should just say screw it and go for something else. I really wanted a propane since I haul my fishing gear in my jeep but I might just say screw it and go for something else.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:46 PM »
Thanks, I didn't know that about propane engines. It isn't like it seized up, or coughed, or anything.  Just wont fire all of a sudden.  Weird.  Will update tomorrow.

Offline fishking20

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always looking for people to fish with.
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:42 PM »
Went to Scheels on Friday and they exchanged my HC40 for a new one. Took it out this morning and put it together. When I was putting it together I noticed a clicking noise coming from the gearbox when it would spin. Filled it up with oil and fired it up, started up real nice but the gearbox is grinding when I hit the throttle. Now I'm deciding on exchanging this one for another one or if I should just say screw it and go for something else. I really wanted a propane since I haul my fishing gear in my jeep but I might just say screw it and go for something else.

3rd times the charm? i wouldn't give up on it, i think eskimo has it right with these ones. if the third one is bad im a liar.

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2015, 11:04 PM »
3rd times the charm? i wouldn't give up on it, i think eskimo has it right with these ones. if the third one is bad im a liar.

I ended up going with a Mako, even the salesperson tried talking me out of it, he seemed genuinely surprised said I was the only one he has dealt with that has had problems. I'm not going to lie it was a tough decision that thing cut just as fast as any auger out there and you won't find an auger that will start that easy when it's operating correctly. I think saving the $120 dollars is probably what swayed my decision.

Offline fishking20

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always looking for people to fish with.
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2015, 11:46 PM »
I ended up going with a Mako, even the salesperson tried talking me out of it, he seemed genuinely surprised said I was the only one he has dealt with that has had problems. I'm not going to lie it was a tough decision that thing cut just as fast as any auger out there and you won't find an auger that will start that easy when it's operating correctly. I think saving the $120 dollars is probably what swayed my decision.

well whatever works right, enjoy it!

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:14 PM »
Well, I called Eskimo customer service.  Super nice folks there.  I walked through how to purge the line with a paper clip, and it did release propane, so there is nothing wrong with the tank, seals, lines, etc.  so, they hooked me up with a local shop to drop it off.  I will update once he diagnoses it.  Good thing I'm not in town to ice fish this week.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Jiffy pro 4     8 inch slicker than cat poo.One two pulls at most 150 holes per tank.
+1 brother,best auger i ever owned.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:17 AM »
Still waiting to hear something.  Dropped off at a service shop recommended by Eskimo for warranty work over a week ago, and guy says he's called their repair dept 5 times and no response.  Nothing like being out of service in the middle of the season.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 07, 2015, 05:13 PM »
Well after reading this I went outside and tried to fire up my HC40 to make sure everything was good for tommorrow....It started first pull then just died after idling for a minute and wouldn't restart...Tried changing out tanks and got it to start after about 20 pulls but wasn't idling right and I could smell propane...I put my ear down by the carb and I could hear gas blowing by the carb..I tapped the carb with a screwdriver a couple of times and the hissing stopped....Must be a diaghram sticking or something...After that it started and idled fine and the blow by noise never came back...I'm still going to call customer service....What's the number???....Not too happy right now...up to this point it has been flawless..

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 07, 2015, 06:33 PM »
Went downstairs to check it out one more time and it won't start unless I give it full throttle...then as soon as I let off the throttle it stalls..Im not going to drive 2 hours to fish tommorrow with a bad auger and there is too much ice to deal with hand augering..I'm done...Anyone want to buy a 400 boat anchor...No customer service at Eskimo until Monday then who knows..

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 09, 2015, 09:38 AM »
Update on the HC40:

Called customer service, and service dept. guy walked through a quick diagnostic with me with bleeding the line to make sure it was getting propane.  Sent me to a local shop that has a service contract with them.  He couldn't diagnose the problems...spark, oil, lines all good, but thought it might be regulator.  Eskimo sent a new one to swap out.  So, I was down from fishing for 11 days (I was out of town anyway for most of it), and technically I didn't miss any fishing.  Had the new head back on a Friday, and went fishing Sunday, drilling only about 15 holes, but all seemed good.  At least their warranty and customer service did the job...now I can hope that was a fluke, and this new one gives me a decade of trouble-free use.
FS

Motocross:  I wonder if the throttle adjustment screw could be your issue.  I had to play with my new one a bit to make sure it ran at a good idle.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 09, 2015, 02:24 PM »
Eskimo sent me to a mechanic 45 minutes away...I called and some kid on the phone said they worked on Eskimo augers...Drove down there and when I get there the guy that looked like the owner or manager told me they didn't work on propane stuff and really didn't have any deal going with Eskimo to work on their stuff...So an hour and a half on the road for nothing...Called them back and no one has called me back yet..
To make matters worse on the way down my auger rolled over to its side in my truck and busted the air filter housing so that is something I will have to fix on my dime..Bad design there...a plastic housing that isn't protected by the handle when laid on its side...The muffler guard is inside the handle..
I think my issues are a bad regulator also....I should just have them send me one and I will put it on myself and be done with it....But waiting on a call from Eskimo..

I did the throttle adjustments and it idled perfect for the first couple of times using it....When it stalls it is like someone hitting an off switch...The screw also wouldn't cause the propane to sound like it is blowing by......I do think that throttle adjustment is critical on these augers....One of my initial coments on this auger is how impressed I was at how steady it ran at idle..

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 10, 2015, 04:08 PM »
Left two messages with Eskimo today...one at 9 and the other at 3 Wisconsin time....Gave him my email address so he could contact me that way also...No response back today.....I guess I will try again tommorrow...

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 11, 2015, 12:59 PM »
Still no call backs...Going on 3 days with no course of action from Eskimo on my auger...

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 11, 2015, 01:33 PM »
Here's the number and person I talked to...715-822-2415, extension 133 is Bonnie.  She called back every time I called and left a message.  You hit the extension right away when you hear the beginning of the recorded message.  Hope that helps.
FS

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 11, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Thanks...I'll try that in another hour or so if I don't hear anything...It's the same number I have been calling just a different extension...Maybe the guy I was dealing with left town or whatever....

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 11, 2015, 04:15 PM »
I just called service....Was givin the number of 5 other places that were on their list as Eskimo Service centers...Called them all and they all claimed to not work on Eskimo Augers.....So I called Eskimo service back and they put me in touch with warranty and they set something up with the place that I originally went to that said they wouldn't service the auger....Eskimo really should call the repair shops and set up the Warranty work for the consumer from the onset....If they would have done that things would have been smooth...
It is about 35 miles from my house but fairly close to my work so hopefully they can get to it.......Has me concerned that initially they seemed to be pretty negative towards working on the Auger...Not real confident with their experience with propane motors..I guess we will see...

This has been an exercise in frustration....GEEZ!!!...........

I am getting a backup gasoline powerhead so at least I will be able to get on the ice...I love that propane auger when it is running clean so hopefully I can get it back into service and have confidence in it...

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 12, 2015, 08:22 AM »
Good luck motocross, I hope it gets resolved.  I know the service center I took it to was questionable, and he had to contact eskimo, which he said was difficult.  When after a week he hadn't heard back from them, I called the extension and spoke to Bonnie again, who gave them a nudge in the warranty dept.  hope you get a new one too.

FS

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 12, 2015, 09:43 AM »
I understand mechanical things go bad and things happen but from what I have seen their service network pretty much doesn't exist..and I live by major northern cities with thousands of ice anglers...
The warranty guy did call and set something up but I have no doubt the shop has never seen a propane auger let alone worked on one...To be honest I am not so sure they have seen very many gas augers if any..

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 12, 2015, 10:43 AM »
I hear ya.  The service guy I took mine to said he had never seen a propane one either (first season for Eskimo's and his other work is snow throwers and lawnmowers).  I would assume that all small engines are similar, regardless of what powers them.  He said it had compression, spark, and fuel in the line, just couldn't figure out why it wasn't firing.  I too had to drive over 35 minutes to mine, which was a small shop on the outskirts of a major city.  I'm glad I stayed on top of it, because it might have taken another week had I not.  But, Bonnie at Eskimo was super nice and did everything she could to make sure I had one for the outing I had coming up on the weekend...too bad she couldn't make sure we caught fish!

Keep us updated.

FS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.