The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy propane auger how is it?  (Read 2162 times)

Offline 793bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grow stupid grow
Jiffy propane auger how is it?
« on: Feb 12, 2014, 12:54 PM »
Would like to know
How your jiffy propane auger performs in the cold
For
Starting and any pros
Or
Cons

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jiffy propane auger how is it?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:15 AM »
The Pro4 works just a little better than the search function on the forum.

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:17 AM »
Awesome. I've had it for 2years and still no problems!

Offline care sec

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2014, 05:38 PM »
I have a jiffy pro 4 light and it took about 10 holes to kinda break in the clutchs but after that it's awesome starts right up... They say in the instctions pull slowly till you feel tention that primes it and it has fired first pull every time since pulling it out of the box

Offline crispycritter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2014, 04:58 AM »
my friend has had the pro 4 for 2 seasons now. the other day it was -18 gave us a little trouble starting at first but didn't let us down. that's the only issue with so far ... cant complain about that my truck didn't want to start that day either.
life is not a journey to the grave with the expectation of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;but rather to (skid in) broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW what a ride

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:18 PM »
I like how quiet it sounds, plenty of power and no gas smell, the cons is if there's peciptation out you got to cover the "carb" holes and once in a while the throttle sticks but its not from the cable, I just "burp" the throttle and it fixes it.but every one uses it loves it.

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:26 PM »
I know it varies a lot by ice thickness of course, but roughly how man holes can you drill per propane tank?

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:44 PM »
I know it varies a lot by ice thickness of course, but roughly how man holes can you drill per propane tank?
I can get probably ~70 holes through 24" of ice easily. IMHO the temp plays a big role in # of holes. When it is below zero I find the motor works hard to cut those holes and it seems to really suck up the fuel. When it is 20*F +, that motor just tools right along and I can probably get 100 holes in 30" of ice. How sharp the blades are also makes a big difference and if those 2 blades in the center get packed with slush ice, it can be a PITA and decrease the # of holes per tank significantly.
It must be something in the water.

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:21 AM »
I love mine had it 2 seasons and works awesome the only thing is we had lots of -30 to -40 days this year and if auger rides in bad of truck on the way to lake u have to put by the heater for a few min to warm the engine up or it will not start and is hard to pull when that cold. but if it above -20 it starts pretty good it is quiet and no stink for in the shack or u can set the pop up up first before drilling and no stink inside after drilling I am so happy with mine I got 3 rd in a derby this weekend and the prize was a fishing package and one thing in the package was a pro4 so now I got 2 of them and I will be keeping them both

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:30 AM »
I love mine had it 2 seasons and works awesome the only thing is we had lots of -30 to -40 days this year and if auger rides in bad of truck on the way to lake u have to out it by the heater for a few min to warm the engine up or it will not start and is hard to pull but if it above -20 it starts pretty good it quite and no sink for in the shack or u can set the pop up up first before drilling and no stink inside after drilling I am so happy with mine I got 3 rd in a derby this weekend and the prize was a fishing package and one thing in the package was a pro4 so now I got 2 and I will be keeping them both
What? ???
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2014, 12:14 PM »
Sorry fixed it up

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2014, 04:11 PM »
I ran a hotter plug in it today, NGK-CR4HSB. Jiffy's website states that this hotter plug improves performance in cold weather. It was in the single digits F today and I'm pretty sure it did run better than with the NGK-CR5HSA. Perhaps this is all it needed to run better in the cold. At least it only took me 3 years to figure it out. The real test will be when it is -15 F.
It must be something in the water.

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2014, 05:50 PM »
You could turn the idle up a hair that could help with the cold weather starting, I actually turned mine down I like how it runs and its not so jumpy, I just feather the throttle for a minute till its warmed up and haven't had a problem since.

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2014, 12:33 PM »
I can get probably ~70 holes through 24" of ice easily. IMHO the temp plays a big role in # of holes. When it is below zero I find the motor works hard to cut those holes and it seems to really suck up the fuel. When it is 20*F +, that motor just tools right along and I can probably get 100 holes in 30" of ice. How sharp the blades are also makes a big difference and if those 2 blades in the center get packed with slush ice, it can be a PITA and decrease the # of holes per tank significantly.
Thanks for the info, something to think about for next year.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:53 PM »
happy with my purchase,A few things that am not happy with,plastic parts,propane bottle holder,but still glad i went propane.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.