New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing keuka lake  (Read 31413 times)

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fishing keuka lake
« Reply #180 on: Mar 17, 2015, 08:17 AM »
Any Locals going to give us an Ice Report ? Boat Launch make it ?
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline jighead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #181 on: Mar 17, 2015, 08:22 AM »
Any Locals going to give us an Ice Report ? Boat Launch make it ?

Ditto...

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #182 on: Mar 17, 2015, 01:21 PM »

that's why we own spuds, I'll find out on my own.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #183 on: Mar 17, 2015, 01:25 PM »
  I had 33 here last night at 11pm, it was 36  in buffalo branchport and Dresden were like 45 and 48 at night, little sliver of warm air over them, I bet a good 6-7 inches honey combed up good, we can walk on bad ice as long as its cold too hold it together....   done it a lot on Oneida in past yrs....   just wondering how the shoreline held up, looks like some hills too slide down if launch goes south.

Offline THEiceman49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #184 on: Mar 17, 2015, 01:34 PM »
I'm heading down Thursday snag let the cold stiffen it up

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #185 on: Mar 17, 2015, 03:05 PM »
We got on last year just a few feet south of the docks once the launch went to open water.  Had to climb down a bit but it got us out there safely.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #186 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:26 AM »
Looking at a few weather reports for Penn Yan and Rochester ; It looks like below freezing temps until Fri. 2 pm.   
  That would be great if we could get another day out of Branchport.     
    I'd like to hear a report on the ice conditions but I will be checking on it myself by Thursday any way.

Wiz
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline 96snake719

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #187 on: Mar 18, 2015, 09:57 AM »
Yes if anybody has a report on the ice please post it up. It's almost a 2 hour drive for me so I'd like to have some sort of an idea before I make the trek.

Offline fishermantim4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:49 PM »
I don't have a report on ice since Monday but monday ice was holding great. Sun didn't eat too up too bad for how warm it was. Girl friend whooped me landing five keepers to my one. She's hooked had a lot of fun. Lots of fished hooked few landed
WINDOW FISH!!!!!

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #189 on: Mar 19, 2015, 01:38 PM »
how was the bite on keuka today? good to see some are able to still get out. my time down there is done this year.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Mar 19, 2015, 10:54 PM »
 launch is water, had too go over guard rail too get on.......  ice is 6.5 inches thick near shore, middle has dropped from 12.5 too 8.5 inches, and bubbles and honey in it,  if you fish it  Late tomorrow or Saturday, watch the integrity of that ice as day goes on and bring your ropes and life jacket....we said good bye too that arm today, it was a lot of fun. fishin was great today, my best day yet....i'll post a report and pics tomorrow.

Offline laketrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #191 on: Mar 20, 2015, 12:24 PM »
 Any up  to date info on ice conditions at PennYan?

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #192 on: Mar 20, 2015, 12:25 PM »
Well ran over too Keuka Lake one more time, the place is like a drug, just can't seem too get enough of it.. Had too climb down the bank as launch is open water.Yesterday was sunny, no wind, temps near 30, it was beautiful out, got a chance too fish with sun on my face for first time this winter... the action was spotty but when you found them it was crazy good, me and my friend fred fought well over 100 and put over 60 on the ice, awesome day. Almost April and still fishing a frozen Finger Lake, you know its been a hard set of winters too be able too do that.

Even jighead came with us too fish,  nice meeting you jighead.

and the best picture of all Keuka lake all too ourselves.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Mar 20, 2015, 01:10 PM »
Any up  to date info on ice conditions at PennYan?

I posted a report last night......thicker ice on lake Ontario, ft thick as far as eye can see off salmon river.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #194 on: Mar 20, 2015, 01:19 PM »
Great pics Shane.

Offline Whatever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Mar 20, 2015, 02:17 PM »
Nice fish guy's, was there also.did'nt want to wreck your view down the lake :).Was a great day to be on the ice and the fish were spoty but had many hookups and drops. Met guy name Tom, got my 5 and called it a day. Ice was definetly singing, there was a constant rumble in the air whole time I was there. There's alway next year! Be safe.

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #196 on: Mar 20, 2015, 06:03 PM »
wow you guys really hammer em out there,  was out today for the afternoon, and caught 1/20th of the fish you caught       still accessible just north and just south of the launch. (but going fast, bring a plank maybe)   ice was still strong in the middle.   

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #197 on: Mar 20, 2015, 08:54 PM »
Nice job Shane and Freddie!   :thumbsup:
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline viper14894

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #198 on: Mar 21, 2015, 05:44 PM »
great day at the launch few people out today, I got there at 730 had my limit by 915 hope ice is ok for sunday need one more day,

Offline Whatever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #199 on: Mar 21, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Viper, How's the ice, there was about 7" on Thursday where I was,suppost to cool off tonight an tomorrow.

Offline viper14894

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #200 on: Mar 21, 2015, 07:51 PM »
where I was about 8 clear ice, straight across the launch to the other side , 150 feet seem like every fish under me wanted my bait, im using a white black hair jig with white twister, hope that might help some get more,

Offline Whatever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #201 on: Mar 22, 2015, 04:33 AM »
Thanks viper, May try monday.

Offline viper14894

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Mar 22, 2015, 01:05 PM »
same as yesterday ice still safe little soft near shore line, but still able to make it out! ended up  with 4 today lost 3 nice ones at the hole. ice is till 8 clear very windy and cold today left at 1030 drag really sucks snow was powder and just jam in front of sled other then that a great day,

Offline LOA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #203 on: Mar 22, 2015, 07:22 PM »
where I was about 8 clear ice, straight across the launch to the other side , 150 feet seem like every fish under me wanted my bait, im using a white black hair jig with white twister, hope that might help some get more,

You must be the one who gave me the jig and twister tail, and suggested I go to your spot...

I ended up crossing over... Started marking bait and fish immediately..I put two on the ice and lost a couple more, and then took off. The noise from the ice was creeping me out.. Oh, 3 new guys came over by me, said you sent them over as well. I saw them catch at least one fish before I left.

I just wanted to say thanks... I was losing fish on the side i was on, but i was mostly fishing where i was, due to being to pansy to want to walk way out there..

OH, i did lose 2 big fish... Much different fight than the others... I put on a poor boys, plastic goby and 3/4oz jig head and dropped it to the bottom. First jig up, and something big slammed it..Had it on for a short time and the hook popped... I had some good hits on the goby, enough so, that I wouldn't not bring them.... I just wish i got the hookset part down sooner...

Offline mooch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #204 on: Mar 23, 2015, 07:15 AM »
vipe14894 can we still access the lake at the state park? I called the other day and the fella on the phone at the state park said they didn't want people going out from there. Any suggestions where to get on without causing a problem. Thanks for any help.

Offline LOA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #205 on: Mar 23, 2015, 07:52 AM »
Climb over the guard rail, rather than walk out the launch

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #206 on: Mar 23, 2015, 08:11 AM »
I never got out there this year on the ice, but I jig for lakers during the open water season.  One recommendation I would suggest to maybe some of you guys to help increase good hook sets and decrease some misses, would be to use a decent bait casting reel and braid.  The baitcaster keep you in constant contact with your lure on the drop, no slack.  you would be surprised on certain days how many hit on the fall.....when they do you, you can just set the hook ...no slack.  Much better control.  With a spinning reel you have to close the bail , then reel some slack, then hit the fish....by that time sometimes that have dropped it. Once you fish a baitcaster you wont go back to a spinning reel for this method of fishing.

The braided line will also help.  It is a no stretch line so that when your setting the hook in 100ft. of water, you are getting about as solid a hookset as it they were in 10' of water.  With mono, there is considerable stretch over the course of 100' of line and less penetration on the hookset.  The braid also has no memory, so once again you are eliminating any potential slack on your drop/free fall.  I run a small barrel swivel at the end of my braid to a 4' or so length of fluorocarbon leader, then the jig/lure to the flouro.  I must admit though, I can see how the braid might be a pain if the line is freezing up, but I see most of you guys are fishing out of heated pop-ups so that shouldn't be an issue.

Just some methods that have helped me the last few years of chasing these critters.

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #207 on: Mar 23, 2015, 12:25 PM »

X2, braid is must.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #208 on: Mar 23, 2015, 12:33 PM »

My last trip there I gave plastics a fair shake as its the locals favorite, yep it slightly out fished my trolling fly set up, seems fish hold on longer too the rubbery plastic, I rig my tube slightly different then most, plus tied some flashy tinel on trailer hook... Fun learning a new sport, very refreshing and addictive. Well over 60 fought on this same venom tube, there pretty tough tubes.  Always liked them for bass.

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #209 on: Mar 23, 2015, 04:28 PM »
x3 braid. suffix 832 ice braid. Mustad hooks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.