Author Topic: Walleye Guru's, I need your help. (pic attached)  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
Walleye Guru's, I need your help. (pic attached)
« on: Jan 14, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Ok, so I don't know much about ice fishing for ol' Walter, besides fishing low light periods. This is a local lake I hit for the first time today. The only public launch is on the northwest side of the lake, and the wind was brutal. So I just fished the finger on the very northwest portion of the lake, next to the 44 foot hole. Didn't have any luck jigging, or with tip ups. 

Where would be a good starting point for trying to locate walleye's on this lake? I've caught a lot of small perch in here, so the walleye may be feeding on them.

Offline Walleye_Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Walleye Guru's, I need your help. (pic attached)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:19 PM »
On the south southeast side of the lake thereis a gravel finger that is 8 feet that runs put to the weedline at 10 feet.. I would fish there in between the two areas.. 8-10 feet of water at dusk and after dark..
In my experience, smaller lakes like that that have deep pockets, I seem to find fish shallow for whatever reason. The deeper water seems dead in these types of lakes.. I would defiantly focus on shallow areas.. Find the weedlines and small bottom changes

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Thanks for the tips Walleye Slayer. On the walleye waters I've fished, I've always focused on drop offs and points that go into deep water with no luck. Time to switch it up, and go shallow. Thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it.

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2014, 04:41 PM »
I agree with WS.  Best of luck!

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:28 AM »
First ice I would set up near the north island with the finger that runs from 10' to 25' start shallow in the morning and move deeper durring the day. if I didn't encounter any walleyes I'd move into the inside turns on either side of the finger and work my way shallow as the sun sets. mid season I would set up where walleye slayer mentioned staying shallow in the mornings and evenings and deep durring miday. late ice I would set up along the gravel shore to the south since they will be moving to stage for the spawn they will hang in the 5-10'  shallows and along the sharp drop off into the 20-25 foot flats just east of the 8' finger. this is just my thoughts on how to fish this lake since there are perch as you mentioned they will be crusing the flats in my experince larger ones will be shallower than the smaller perch. the eyes will most likely be chasing the smaller 4"-8" perch rather than 9"-12".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.