Author Topic: Got out!  (Read 685 times)

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1
Got out!
« on: Feb 04, 2016, 12:07 AM »
Had some spare time today between the end of my classes and an appointment in my hometown so decided to stop and do a little fishing. Tried to get onto Massy today but the ice looked horrible (it was only about 2 in. of soft black ice near claire's landing but that was near an inlet so that could have affected it). Didn't want to push my luck or waste more time so I fished a local warm water pond for only half an hour, only 10 of which I spent jigging. That saved my day since nothing went for the tip ups. Had about five hits and three hookups. Two got off at the hole, absolute SLABS. I landed one, and it was probably one of the strangest looking crappie I have seen. Had to throw in the towel after that and head out although I would have loved to stay longer. Ice was about 8 in of mostly black ice. The rain melted through the white stuff like butter but hopefully night time temps in the next few days (or weeks, fingers crossed) should remedy that problem.

Notice the exceptionally light colors and the gaping mouth. This was a strange looking fish especially since I have caught them darker out of the same spot.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Got out!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2016, 05:29 AM »
Good for you 603
Salmonemia

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2016, 05:43 AM »
Ice looks good! lol

Did a lot of Google search to compare that fish...it's like, an albino black crappie lol hard to tell from your pic, but it looks like it has 7-8 dorsal spines which in fact would be a black crappie. White crappie only have 5-6. It's not a white perch either because it has one full connecting spine/dorsal fin whereas a WP is two. Kinda cool variation.

Offline PHD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:18 AM »
Is the water clear in this pond or does it have a color to it??  Like brownish or dirty??  Most fish tend to be lighter in color when they live in stained water...
Trust me, there's plenty of ice..

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2016, 01:04 PM »
Thanks SALMONEMIA! PHD, water is stained but I have caught them darker out of that place. Its dirty, you can see silt/sediment floating around although when you pull the auger out, the water you see is not stained in any way. dennisg34, thats what I think too, the number of spines and the calico markings give it away, still a strange looking black for sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.