Author Topic: Lake Trout Eaters  (Read 8967 times)

Offline McFishy

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Trout Eaters
« on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:25 PM »
I am fairly new to fishing for Lakers and have let the few I have caught go, but curious to see what people think are good eater size. The lake I fish has a healthy Laker population so thinking of keeping one or two this year to try out. With walleyes, I make sure to let the healthy breeders go and know what their sizes range, but just not sure where that line is for a Laker. Any advice would be helpful! I looked around the site for info on this and didn't see it so apologize if this is redundant.

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Trout Eaters
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:14 PM »
Eater size depends upon the lake I am fishing.  On one lake I fish I don’t keep any over about 20’’ as there are a lot in the 16-19’’ range. On another lake, fish from 17-23’’ are common, so I don’t keep any fish longer than 23-24’’. I guess I try to keep fish of a size that are abundant in a particular lake and release the bigger ones.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:33 PM »
What ever the legal size is, from there to the upper end of average for the lake. The smaller lake trout are said to taste better, and will have less toxins built up. So that really does depend on the lake your fishing.
Here in Maine, general law is two lake trout a day with a 18” minimum. However, one of our biggest lakes has too many lake trout. There’s a slot of 26-33” that has to be released. Anything under 26” should be taken and there’s no daily limit, can keep one over 33”. So basically, if your lake trout naturally reporoduce, your better off taking several of the numerous smaller ones than the bigger ones.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2021, 10:23 AM »
What ever the legal size is, from there to the upper end of average for the lake. The smaller lake trout are said to taste better, and will have less toxins built up. So that really does depend on the lake your fishing.
Here in Maine, general law is two lake trout a day with a 18” minimum. However, one of our biggest lakes has too many lake trout. There’s a slot of 26-33” that has to be released. Anything under 26” should be taken and there’s no daily limit, can keep one over 33”. So basically, if your lake trout naturally reporoduce, your better off taking several of the numerous smaller ones than the bigger ones.

Ive eaten some tasty lakers out of this waterbody, biggest was just under 26" fantastic grilled. That said I brine and smoke most of my lakers these days, heaven mixed with some cream cheese and spread on a cracker. I also mix them with mayo, mustard and relish and eat them like tuna fish on a sandwich.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Trophyman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2021, 10:35 AM »
I've tried the lake trout couple times personally don't care for him

Offline Brochet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2022, 06:09 PM »
I've found that smaller lakers taste better.  I'll put lakers over 5 lbs back because trial-and-error has shown that they won't taste so good.  Weight seems to affect taste more than length - a long skinny one testes better than a short fat one.  Going by length, anywhere between 20 and 25 inches long seems to be the best flavor and big enough to be worth keeping.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2022, 11:37 PM »
This is a small pile I made last year, I still haven’t gotten out yet this year.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2022, 10:11 AM »
I've found that smaller lakers taste better.  I'll put lakers over 5 lbs back because trial-and-error has shown that they won't taste so good.  Weight seems to affect taste more than length - a long skinny one testes better than a short fat one.  Going by length, anywhere between 20 and 25 inches long seems to be the best flavor and big enough to be worth keeping.

This, I really don't eat a lot of lake trout but the smaller ones definitely are better IMO.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ira-akrfc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2022, 10:17 AM »
Most of the lakers I catch come out of Lake George. Minimum length is 23" and you can only keep 2. If I get a BIG one, 27" plus, I take I quick pictures and send him back to make more.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2022, 10:21 AM »
tons of them here in champlain. all mine go back down the hole unless i know someone thatt wants them.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2022, 11:10 AM »
tons of them here in champlain. all mine go back down the hole unless i know someone thatt wants them.

Same here, the champ lakers are often times scarred up and emaciated from the lampreys.  C&R for me unless I am asked to keep one.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2022, 10:36 PM »
Anything legal here in VT LOL.  Nah but seriously  probly under 30" if I had to guess. I've never seen a live one that big so I'm just speculating.  The ones I have eaten were under 25" and I'd just about claim it to be a delicacy.
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.