Author Topic: My new homemade rodholders with automatic hooksetting!  (Read 155832 times)

Offline Wheezzy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: My new homemade rodholders with automatic hooksetting!
« Reply #30 on: Dec 12, 2012, 04:14 PM »
Nice work, been thinking about making some hook setters myself.

It's all fun and games till someone scratches an eye. ;D

Offline kl3377

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 12, 2012, 04:49 PM »
Nice trigger, it looks  a bit safer then the way mine are set up.  Nothing like a loaded 4'6" rod putting the smack down on your head.
A watched lake never freezes.

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 12, 2012, 05:21 PM »
Oh my... we all need to get out on the ice before we become a bigger menace to society!  haha...  ;D

Offline MitchMeyers92

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 12, 2012, 05:34 PM »
how did you mount the PVC to the piece of flat aluminum? Just with those 2 L-brackets and a bolt? i feel like it might tip back and forth? Really cool design, might have to make one for my old man, he fishes a lot of pike on the river

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2012, 06:08 PM »
very nice compact design! great improvements on the old "steelie slammer"! that beats the wood ones. imo
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Duckiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. T
« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2012, 06:19 PM »
i want to build 2 of these very bad. my only problem is i feel that this trip mechanism will scratch the inside ring of the eye. anyone have any input?
i am build this right now my suggestion is to spray the "trigger" with rubber paint or spray on truck bed liner rust olium makes it
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.  Teach a man to sell fish and he eats steak.”

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2012, 07:39 PM »
how did you mount the PVC to the piece of flat aluminum? Just with those 2 L-brackets and a bolt? i feel like it might tip back and forth? Really cool design, might have to make one for my old man, he fishes a lot of pike on the river

My first design was with three brackets with one on the back. It was WAY overbuilt. Went to this design and it will take a whale to dislodge the elbow. :-). I also incorporated thick nylon fender washers between the legs and the plate to reduce wear and tear. As they loosen up from the washer wearing out just snug them up!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2012, 07:58 PM »
i want to build 2 of these very bad. my only problem is i feel that this trip mechanism will scratch the inside ring of the eye. anyone have any input?
It may, and epoxy won't fix it. Fishing line will eat through epoxy. The only way would be to solder and extra ring onto the existing tip or replace the tip with one without the ceramic.

I did not like having to worry about getting the reel crank in the right position to keep it off the ice. So an improvement would be to keep the reel higher.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline MTblackice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2012, 08:13 PM »
Quick,

How did you make the trigger mechanism? Looks like a bunch of bending involved, or were you able to purchase these?

I also live in Belgrade and would love to see it up close.

Thanks

Blackice.... Steve

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2012, 08:24 PM »
It may, and epoxy won't fix it. Fishing line will eat through epoxy. The only way would be to solder and extra ring onto the existing tip or replace the tip with one without the ceramic.

I did not like having to worry about getting the reel crank in the right position to keep it off the ice. So an improvement would be to keep the reel higher.

The epoxy goes on the wire trigger itself not the eye so this would do the trick.  With the materials I used and my settup the reel handle just clears the top of the ice.  All that it takes to get the reel higher is to take out the 3.5" length of PVC tube and put in a 4" or maybe a 4.5" tube.  I didn't glue them in so that it would be easy to replace.  Good thoughts though!

Blackice... Steve, I will PM you my number if you would like to come see it.  I made each trigger but after two or so it was real easy!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #40 on: Dec 12, 2012, 08:30 PM »
Very nice build bquick  :thumbsup: you and all the other builds i have seen on here have now inspired me to build a couple of these, thanks for sharing
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Dec 12, 2012, 08:31 PM »
bquick, just so you know, I showed my wife the new trigger which is almost just like yours and she tested it out and it scared her. Since she made me buy a notebook today to write things down so I don't forget everything as she says. I wrote in my note book. Linda is scared of my lip Ripper.
<===Lefty===

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 12, 2012, 09:12 PM »
muskyon46... Thanks so much!  This place is great for inspiration.

lefty2053...  I am still chuckling over that.   :clap: :clap:  That's pretty funny but are you going to remember what "lip ripper" means in a few more years or will it take on new meaning???

I think I freaked my dog out last night... she came sniffing around as I was setting it and testing the tension and the thing went off.  Can't wait to see some scared fish as well!

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:32 PM »
I've got your 6 Bquick.      :flex: :callcops:

Thank you, sir!  Boy did I get fired up in a hurry.  lol  Soooo... anyone got any plans for how to get the rod to launch the fish out of the hole and into my bucket for me???  I really don't even care to get out of my lazy boy recliner... heck, I might spill my beer trying to run after a fishing rod!   ::)

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 12, 2012, 11:08 PM »
lol...  Thank you all for your support...  :bow:

Here are some extra pictures that some have requested.  They are of the sides showing the nylon washers between the aluminum legs and plate; of the back of the stand, and of the underside showing all of the screw placements.  Hope they help!

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 12, 2012, 11:21 PM »
bquick, are you having any trouble with the aluminum melting into the ice on the warmer days? 

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 12, 2012, 11:33 PM »
bquick, are you having any trouble with the aluminum melting into the ice on the warmer days?

I just started making these this year so it will be a first for me.  I have used some wire stands before and never did have much trouble with those.  If they become a nuisance then I know that there is a little rubber U shaped gasket that could be slipped over the bottom of the channel and this would keep them above the ice.  Or what might work as well is to put a screw at the end of each leg and use a longer one at the back of the plate and then it would rest on those instead of the channel.  Just some thoughts until I get to test them out and see how they do.  I may not have enough ice to fish on but the little pond here is frozen over... I might just set them out there if it gets sunny one of these days and see what happens in a couple of hours.  I will keep you all posted!

Thanks so much, JigginInID! 

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 13, 2012, 12:01 AM »
That trigger design looks pretty familiar, great way to incorporate the whole setup.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:37 AM »
bquick What if you added some of those strike indicator bells to your rods so you can hear them pop off. You could then fish a little further from them like you would a tip up and not have to worry about taking your eyes off of them as much.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 13, 2012, 09:45 AM »
lol... I don't mind at all, except if they aren't catching any fish then make sure you cover up the name!  ;D  If you really do want to make some I can give you all the info on the dimensions and materials.  Might save you a bit of time.
      I wouldn't mind that material, how is the trip line hooked to the front of the board, and would like to see the back from underneath. Nice work I wan't to make at least 2.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Dec 13, 2012, 10:22 AM »
bquick, I got to thinking. If you put the center bar on upside down and then another bar right side up on top of it you could make it adjustable for longer or shorter poles with a few holes drilled in for settings. The first being a shorter piece with the top sliding piece longer for the settings. Of course it would most likely have to be a wider piece on top or bottom so them match up.
<===Lefty===

Tinker

« Reply #51 on: Dec 13, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Here I thought this was my "secret weapon"  I found an old version of this on e-bay one night and quickly took a copy of the pic, then when I had some time built a couple.  It was just the trip wire and I think a length of cord to attach to the rod holder and instructions on how to use, actual manufactured product at one time.  I found on the short rod that it wouldn't set the hook for me, I never seen one go off but would find the wire tripped and no fish.  I have went to a 5' light action ugly stick and I also attach a bell about the middle of the rod and set one out each door of the shack for trout.  With the longer rod I think I have only lost one fish on all the bites.  As for scratching the eye of the rod I start with a good wire, I think its stainless, round that point with a small file then finish with a dremel polishing wheel.  I haven't inspected my guides but I know the wire is slick and smooth so I haven't worried about it.  I do need a better rod holder, currently using a 4' 1x4 with pvc screwed to it and a short cross member at the reel end.  To attach the wire trip I have a small eye screw with a large snap swivel, that way I can take the trip wire off and not worry about damaging it.

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:05 AM »
bquick What if you added some of those strike indicator bells to your rods so you can hear them pop off. You could then fish a little further from them like you would a tip up and not have to worry about taking your eyes off of them as much.

I have a little mini bobber that I put on the last eye but it got in the way of the trigger.  I found that it would have to go on the second to last eye or on the back of the rod near the tip.  I like the bell idea better though!

bquick, I got to thinking. If you put the center bar on upside down and then another bar right side up on top of it you could make it adjustable for longer or shorter poles with a few holes drilled in for settings. The first being a shorter piece with the top sliding piece longer for the settings. Of course it would most likely have to be a wider piece on top or bottom so them match up.

I checked that out and they make a 5/8" channel and a smaller one as well that should fit inside the 3/4" channel.  Since it was only for a certain rod I decided to make them a fixed size and call it good.  That would be a great idea and a simple little keeper pin would be able to hold it all together.  Just place the keeper pin about 2 to 3 inches back from the end of the center channel.

Tinker...  I love it!  I did the same thing to my triggers.  Just last night though I dipped the tips in some fiberglassing resin and dried them.  It gave them a very very light coat that I am hoping will also help prevent scratching of the eye.  We will see.   :)

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:07 AM »
I have the same basic triger mech and I've caught numerous perch and trout on it with my cheapo 24'' HT rod. It even hooked a little 22" pike with my 26" medium action. I use the cheap red wire holder and ruber bands and that allows me to adjust for daily gear and fish variations.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:11 AM »
      I wouldn't mind that material, how is the trip line hooked to the front of the board, and would like to see the back from underneath. Nice work I wan't to make at least 2.

I took some pictures and posted them last night right before your post.  One of them is of the underside.  As far as hooking up the trigger.  I used some 6" wire leaders.  One end has a snap end on it and the other has a ball bearing swivel and ring.  I ran the ring end over the tip of the trigger and slid it into place and I clipped the snap end to the base which has a small hole drilled in it 1/4" from the end.  I will be posting my parts list and instructions in a few.  Best of luck!

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:17 AM »
Here are my detailed instructions... Hopefully they help those that are going to build their own.  Sorry for it being so long.

The length of your rod will determine the length of the middle leg.  Basically, for a 25 to 28 inch rod my design should suffice.  You might want to experiment just a little though if you are using something longer or shorter.  It will most likely work just fine but it's always worth improving!  I used 3 feet of 3/4" aluminum trim channel.  5/8" would work if you wanted to go slightly smaller but some dimensions would have to be adjusted.  I also used button socket cap screws so that they would have a low profile and you can insert a hex key bit into them for tightening inside of the PVC elbow.  All the hardware is stainless but that was just my preference.

Here is the materials list:

1. 3ft of 3/4" aluminum trim channel
1. 1/16"x12" stainless steel rod
4. 1/4x3/4" stainless button cap screws and matching lock nuts
2. #10x1/2" stainless button cap screws and matching lock nuts
2. 1x1/2 stainless brace
1. 4.5"x2"x1/8" flat aluminum stock
2. 1/4" nylon fender washers
1. 1" schedule 40 SxS 45 degree PVC elbow
1. 3.5" thin walled drinking water PVC pipe
1. 6"x30lb wire leader with ball bearing and snap swivel

The main aluminum channel is cut to 16.5" and then the ends are sanded to take away any burrs.  The hole for the leader and trigger is centered and drilled 1/4" from the end with a 9/64th bit.  The end of one leg was cut at an angle of 31.5 degrees. I sanded down the far end of the angle so that the aluminum didn't come to a point but was blunt or flat.  Hope that makes sense.  Then the leg was then cut to 9" total from the furthest point of the angle to the end of the leg.  Another leg was made and the angle was reversed so that I had mirror images of the legs, one for the left and one for the right side.  Holes were drilled in the legs exactly 1.5" from the furthest tip of the angle and centered with a pilot bit of 1/8" to 3/32" and then finished with the 1/4" bit.  All holes were gently beveled by hand to remove any burrs.

The aluminum plate (flat stock) is cut to 4.5x2" and the elbow is placed in the center and at the furthest forward edge possible.  one of the smaller screws is drilled to fit behind the elbow and one is drilled to fit under the elbow.  These two screws hold the center channel in place.  The flat stock is placed at a 90 degree angle to the center channel and carefully used to drill the holes out for the channel and then bolt it in place with the smaller screws.  I used a 3/16" drill bit for those after predrilling with the 5/32" bit.  Really took my time as the bits will want to "walk".

The braces are positioned perfectly on the sides of the elbow and you can even use the mold seam to line them up for drilling.  I used bolts that are the exact size of the holes in the braces to keep any wiggle room out of the equation but it requires very acurate hole placement.  The larger screws are placed through the holes from the inside of the elbow outward and then the braces are snugged to the sides of the elbow with the lock nuts.  I then positioned and centered the elbow on the plate and marked my hole positions and drilled them out first with a pilot hole and then the 1/4" bit.  All holes were hand beveled and cleaned up of any burrs.

Then just insert the screws and place a nylon washer between the  plate and the leg to aid in folding and unfolding and gently snug up the lock but to hold it in place. Do not over tighten the nut.  You only want a little bit of tension on the leg, or you can ad thin nylon washer on befor the nut to sandwich the leg and reduce wear from the nut.  After it was assembled I then tightened the screws and nuts that hold the elbow, cut and inserted my piece of pipe to hold the rod and clipped my trigger to the wire leader and the leader to the center channel.

A few tips on bending the wire trigger.  I only used 6" of rod to make each trigger but they came in 12" lengths.  I went through about 3 rods before I got really good at it!  lol  The part of the trigger that is inserted into the eye of the rod is 1/2" long and everything else is fairly dimensional after that.  Some of the materials will need to be purchased in longer lengths but it shouldn't be to bad.  If you are concerned about wear and tear on the eye then insert a zip-tie through the braces that support the eye of the rod and use that to insert the trigger, polish the wire and round the end, or try coating it with some epoxy.

Have fun and PM me if you need anything further.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:22 AM »
That's really cool you posted up such detail for everyone to see. Just another example why this site is so great. Thanks for sharing.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:00 PM »
Just made another holder and moved the trigger wire which I attach to an Eye bolt instead out another 2" so I can test 2 different tensions on the rod. Painting the new one Green and the other is Orange.  I am also just using a cheap HT Rod for this. If I wanted to make it for different size Poles I would have to go your way instead of a cut piece of 1X4 Wood for the base.
<===Lefty===

Offline Mistabray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:41 PM »
A tip up of the hat to you sir. :tipup:  ;D

I always enjoy seeing people come up with their own scheme(s) for catching "the one that got away last time."
Very well done. :clap:

*I mite wrap a piece of heatshrink or duct tape around that little end that goes into the rod eyelet so the eyelet isn't rubbing on metal constantly though. Over time it could scratch you're eyelet causing the line to snap on a big fish.

Just a thought.
Everybody has to believe in something.
      ... I believe I'll go fishing.

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:47 PM »
Just made another holder and moved the trigger wire which I attach to an Eye bolt instead out another 2" so I can test 2 different tensions on the rod. Painting the new one Green and the other is Orange.  I am also just using a cheap HT Rod for this. If I wanted to make it for different size Poles I would have to go your way instead of a cut piece of 1X4 Wood for the base.

Awesome!  I think the eye bolt is a great idea...  Let me know how they work out for you.

A tip up of the hat to you sir. :tipup:  ;D

I always enjoy seeing people come up with their own scheme(s) for catching "the one that got away last time."
Very well done. :clap:

Thank you!  It's been fun just helping other people and seeing everyone get excited about trying them out. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.