The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 10" Augers  (Read 4458 times)

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 10" Augers
« Reply #30 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:44 PM »
why do i need a 30 rd magazine for my ar??because I can..i mean what size auger do you suppose i should be allowed to have??
I have now sort of backed off using that 10 inch beast ..because i can't figure out how to make it run well enough and its' too creepin heavy
for haulin around.I now use a 6 inch nils and can drill a  hole faster with alot less fatigue than the xmaster.I like it alot it's quiet ,smokeless and weighs a fraction
of what my gas auger weighs...now i can haul even more stuf out there. Until the day i curse the fact that i had to break the line on a masterclass fish because he was too big around to get up the hole   ::)  I will keep the nils and leave the 10 at home...that being said if it works for you go ahaead and use it..it won't bother me.My buddy has a 10 in jiffy.
if i cant get a fish up thru my 6 in hole i have him drill a 10 right next to it.... :P

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 01, 2016, 05:34 AM »
A 10 would be nice for lakers and pike, but not necessary IMO. I almost sprained my ankle stepping in a 6" on Sat. I probably would have broken something if it were a 10"  If I ever hook into my target fish and it won't fit through an 8, I'll get a 10. Until then, I'll do my part saving someone's foot/leg/ankle.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2016, 06:34 AM »
lowaccord: Who are these "anti's" you are talking about? I have been ice fishing in Vermont for 39 years and I don't recall EVER running across anyone who is opposed to ice fishing.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #33 on: Mar 01, 2016, 09:06 AM »
I have landed 10 pounders with an 8 inch hole. Years ago I realized looking at 20+ laker pics
 a 8 inch hole was not going to do it. 8 inch hole results in
20 inch girth 10 inch hole fits a fish with 25 in girth. The big problem with 8 an 9 inch
hole is  -20 temps. If you fish lakers in NEK, a 10 inch hole is the norm. Yes you will
get your feet wet stepping into yesterdays hole - crap happens.
If you want to avoid that possibility - TAKE A SPUD. 

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 01, 2016, 09:15 AM »
Just to be clear, an 8 inch hole has a circumference of 8*pi = 25.13 inches. A 10 inch hole has a circumference of 10*pi = 31.42 inches.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 01, 2016, 09:28 AM »
Can we all agree that the people who half drill a hole to stand their auger up are the real jerks? I will say that 8" holes are a lot nicer than 6" holes when the ice is thick. I have missed two big fish due to 6" holes, one was a giant largemouth and the other was the biggest pile I have ever hooked. I never plan on owning a gas auger so 10" is out of the question for me. When my 6" lazer dies I will likely replace it with a 7".

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 01, 2016, 10:02 AM »
I would like to see one of these fish that wont fit up an 8 inch hole.  Someone must have a pic.

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 01, 2016, 10:10 AM »
I have both 8" and 10" gas augers and a 6 inch hand auger.  The only reason I have the 10" is because I bought it on clearance at wal mart for $125 years ago.  Never take it when I take my kids out, usually just take the hand auger.
Mark it 8 dude

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 01, 2016, 10:11 AM »
I would like to see one of these fish that wont fit up an 8 inch hole.  Someone must have a pic.

Go on fish and wildlife and look up lake trout undear record fish! Some of the lake trout have a 25"+ girth! Crazy

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 01, 2016, 10:31 AM »
Go on fish and wildlife and look up lake trout undear record fish! Some of the lake trout have a 25"+ girth! Crazy

People are forgetting that fish are not rock hard objects. They can be manipulated through 8" holes even if the girth is over 25.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Mar 01, 2016, 10:33 AM »
fellas fellas fellas ! its a simple thing to watch where you step, i guess you would want all the diviots in the woods filled in so you can't roll an ankle as well.....
I am haunted by waters...

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 01, 2016, 10:41 AM »
People are forgetting that fish are not rock hard objects. They can be manipulated through 8" holes even if the girth is over 25.

That is very true, but much less of a chance of breaking your line fighting the fish threw the hole in my opion. Now, in the end about the whole 8" 6" or 10" thing is all opion. They all can bring fish threw the ice in the end. Now, if you don't like 10" don't fish around then, if you don't think 8" is big enough use a 10". 10" is to big for you then use a 8" or 6".

Personally 6" 8" and 10" I believe are all capable of breaking a leg, dripping, etc.... So therefor just always be carful, and safe no matter what when on the ice!  ;D

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 01, 2016, 12:15 PM »
fellas fellas fellas ! its a simple thing to watch where you step, i guess you would want all the diviots in the woods filled in so you can't roll an ankle as well.....

Too bad that darn white fluffy stuff that falls from the sky likes to cover up holes regardless of size  ;)

Offline Hardwater Renegade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 01, 2016, 12:29 PM »
I run a 10" auger for pike and lake trout I got a wicked deal on the auger that is why I use a 10" my 8" finally shat the bed, just pay attn. out there and just have fun, when I go perching I use a 4" hand auger no need to haul that heavy jiffy out just for perch, everyone has there own preference on what they use, but hey in the end aren't we all out there doing the same thing fishing and having a good time!!!!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 01, 2016, 12:33 PM »
Man some of you guys on here sound like the whiners who complain about it being to cold or I have to use a gaff because I'm afraid to get my hands slimy, or my favorite your fishing within 300 yards of me your to close.  Seriously guys if your to incompetent to walk across the ice without stepping in a hole just stay home and collect your disability from the last time you tripped over your shoelace. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 01, 2016, 12:52 PM »
Man some of you guys on here sound like the whiners who complain about it being to cold or I have to use a gaff because I'm afraid to get my hands slimy, or my favorite your fishing within 300 yards of me your to close.  Seriously guys if your to incompetent to walk across the ice without stepping in a hole just stay home and collect your disability from the last time you tripped over your shoelace.

You sound like you're going to vote for Trump.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #46 on: Mar 01, 2016, 01:00 PM »

THIS! Made me laugh, thanks Ak  ;D

I think it's mostly the time of year that has the panties wadded. The white perch bonanza has begun and that concentrates the masses.  :tipup:

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 01, 2016, 01:08 PM »
I have an Eskimo Barracuda 10" that's collecting dust in the shed.
Haven't wanted to use it for a few years now.

Keep in mind that I've been hand-cranking a 6" and 8" thru 1-2' of ice the past coupe of years.

My main reason for ditching the power was it just amounted to more weight I had to haul thru the snow and ice.
Then what if it just wouldn't start? except for keeping the blades sharp & clean, a hand auger rarely ever lets you down!

I allow anyone to fish on "my" lakes... ;D

I like using a hand auger. People look at me like I am crazy out on the ice and I don't get it. Typically fish a 6" unless I am on big fish waters. I don't think my amount of fish or quality has changed since I ditched the power a couple years ago. If anything I plan ahead more and use my time on the ice better.

Offline Lazybones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Mar 01, 2016, 01:42 PM »
Jeebus,

One year ago I would have laughed my arse off if I was told that Bernie Sanders would make a legitimate run at president and/or I would witness a whinefest about 10" holes being a problem. (especially when it seems 8" holes are just fine)

I don't know whether to laugh or cry that Vermont has given me both.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 01, 2016, 05:00 PM »
If you thought I was "mad", you got the wrong impression.  Not mad and not trying to fight about it.  But I will say that I think they are overkill in most situations around here.
[/quote

I have a 4.5 inch auger for perch and a ten inch for lakers and pike. I'm glad it's 10 inch when landing a large pike or a decent laker/salmon.If you have caught large fish then you know why we use large augers. :)

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 01, 2016, 05:48 PM »
Hand augers are light and dang near indestructible, that's why I have them. Last year, sure it took some minutes to cut a hole in 3 feet of ice, compared to this year when it takes ten seconds to cut a hole, but yeah, barring some physical disability somewhere down the road the two augers I've got are the only augers I'll ever have.

We're lucky enough to live in a state with a lot of water surface, whether you're cutting 4", 6", 7", 8", 10" or are using a chainsaw to slice open a swimming pool, there's a lot more water out there, enjoy it, be safe and be a good neighbor and that's about it.

The fish are on the other side of the ice and any (non-explosive) way you get to them is probably a good way.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #51 on: Mar 03, 2016, 10:52 AM »
When I was a kid, My uncle caught a 26+ lb laker out of Willoughby on a tipup, and upon pulling that trout up through the (8") hole, the fish lost about 1-2# of innards by being squeezed through the 8" hole and out through the touch hole the guts came. This fish should have weighed 28# +,  but as a result of an UNDERSIZED hole, it lost a significant amount of weight.... *Just keep that in mind for folks who would rather release a fish like that unharmed.*

Bottom line... There is ABSOLUTELY a place for 10" holes on the ice. I have a 10" for lakers, by fishing buddy bought an 8" for everything else.
When I'm out hunting, I wouldn't expect loggers to clean up every stump they cut because I might trip and fall over my own lack of awareness, its my responsibility to watch where I'm stepping.
Chasing Ice

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 03, 2016, 11:06 AM »
I get all your points.  As I stated earlier, I didn't mean to start a big argument over auger size.....lol.  Use what you got.  The reason it was in my head is Sunday I watched a kid go down.....one leg, that is.  He was fishing a weed bed for panfish and apparently there was a bunch on 10" holes from Saturday that had been perfectly disguised by a light coating of snow over night.  It was probably somebody going for pike, so I get why they had a big boy auger.

That being said, I have seen a few out drilling panfish "grids" with a 10 incher.  If that's all you have for an auger, obviously you have no choice in the matter. 

If anybody finds themselves in a situation where they need to drill a bunch of holes for panfish with a 10 incher, and I'm around......feel free to ask.......I am always more than willing to drill holes for anyone with my 6" Nils.  I love using that thing, so it doesn't take much of an excuse to get me to drill holes  ;D
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #53 on: Mar 03, 2016, 11:10 AM »
I know it does suck to get caught by one, my boy got his leg swallowed by one earlier this year. Day was instantly done after that, we had to pack up and get home to dry him out.
Chasing Ice

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Mar 03, 2016, 04:47 PM »
I caught a 20+ pike brought it up thru a 8" hole on 15" thick ice , It was stressful to say the least.I just ordered a 10" . That being said going to bump its head if the hole is 30" never seen one come straight up....
 ;D

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #55 on: Mar 03, 2016, 04:53 PM »
I caught a 20+ pike brought it up thru a 8" hole on 15" thick ice , It was stressful to say the least.I just ordered a 10" . That being said going to bump its head if the hole is 30" never seen one come straight up....
 ;D

huh?
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.