The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 10" Augers  (Read 4459 times)

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
10" Augers
« on: Feb 29, 2016, 08:01 AM »
Is there really ever a need for a 10" auger in Vermont?

2GUYZ FISHING

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 10" Augers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2016, 08:14 AM »
The bigger of my two augers is an 8". It's never failed to make a big enough hole but I have had big pike make themselves difficult to guide into the hole sometimes and a few times they've turned just right while being pulled up that they were momentarily stuck.

I doubt I'll ever need a larger auger enough to go and buy one, but there are fish around here that will make themselves difficult to land through an 8" hole.

A big bass will do its best to fill up the hole, as will a bowfin.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2016, 08:56 AM »
This has been something I've been pondering lately. I run a Jiffy 10" and last week a guy approached me and b***hed about how many holes I was drilling. I use a Vex and hole hop a lot but I try to space it out and not create a hazard for other fishermen-especially in this weather. I like having the extra room but next season I'm going with Milwaukee drill/Nils 6" auger setup. Sick of lugging that Jiffy around

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:02 AM »
I only have a 6" auger with the cordless drill set up. A few years ago, while jigging for perch, I hooked into a LM bass that was soooo big when I got him turned up to the hole only his lips would even fit into the bottom of the hole, there was no way he was even close to ever fitting up the 6" hole he was a tank. Other than that a 6" auger has always worked fine for me. When I set my tip ups out for pike I drill 2 holes side x side and spud out between them. It is a little bit of work but then again I am only setting out maybe a dozen or 16 tip ups at any given time.

I have no interest in hauling around a beast 10" gas auger.

And I agree, big holes are scary. I have 3 kids I take with me, youngest is 5. I am always on high alert for manholes.  :tipup:

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:13 AM »
This has been something I've been pondering lately. I run a Jiffy 10" and last week a guy approached me and b***hed about how many holes I was drilling. I use a Vex and hole hop a lot but I try to space it out and not create a hazard for other fishermen-especially in this weather. I like having the extra room but next season I'm going with Milwaukee drill/Nils 6" auger setup. Sick of lugging that Jiffy around

I get scared using my Vex on a 10" hole!  One wrong move and it's getting wet!  I've used 4", 5", 6", & 8".  Right now, 6" seems to be the best all around.  I'm still using a gas auger.  It's a Tanaka with a Nils and I love it, but it won't be long before I bite the bullet and get a drill plate setup.  They may not be quite as fast as my Tanaka, but in reality they are faster overall because you can drill instantly.  No need to start the thing and let it warm up!
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:23 AM »
Is there really ever a need for a 10" auger in Vermont?  10 inch holes are child eaters, leg breakers, and gear collectors.  And this time of year, it doesn't take long for a 10 inch hole to become a man eating hole.

I agree and feel the same way regarding Pennsylvania.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2016, 10:26 AM »
Hmm, lake trout fishing. You will never land a big NEK laker 20 pound class in a 6 or even a 8 inch hole. Its not
going to happen. Averill's, Magog,  Seymour, Caspian, Echo, Harveys & others potential for big fish.
Willoughby gives us 20 pounders at least yearly and check the record book 30 pounders + are there.
Why would you think of using anything less than 10 inch. That being said, do you really need a
10 inch hole perching in a popular area? 

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 29, 2016, 11:09 AM »
I have a 10" as I was looking for a cheep auger, and that's what I found.at the time. Now, I'm a trout guy and use it for trout and walleye, but have a 6" hand auger for perch, and smelt.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2016, 11:17 AM »
Here is my take on using 10" auger.

During the coldest time of winter when holes freeze up fast a 10" hole drilled in the am becomes a 6" hole by the afternoon.  No problem.

During spring conditions where the holes dont freeze so fast become an absolute hazard.  This is particularly true when holes are drilled close to shore in shallow water.  One warm day or some rain and holes open pretty fast.  Makes it difficult to get on and off the ice......especially if there is a night of snow where those holes are camouflaged.

What kills me is the guy who gets on and drills holes where everyone has to get on and get off the ice.  Not sure of the thinking behind this, but every year I see guys that do this.  Wish they would just use some common sense and think of all those that want safe passage on and off the ice during the late season.

Why right by the access area??

Please be considerate to others and be safe out there during the late season.

The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2016, 01:13 PM »
Is there really ever a need for a 10" auger in Vermont?  10 inch holes are child eaters, leg breakers, and gear collectors.  And this time of year, it doesn't take long for a 10 inch hole to become a man eating hole.

All holes drilled in ice will eventually grow large.  Anti-ice fishing people would like to take your argument and use it to say ice fishing makes public waters unsafe for all...that said I think there are better things to make noise about.   

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2016, 02:58 PM »
All holes drilled in ice will eventually grow large.  Anti-ice fishing people would like to take your argument and use it to say ice fishing makes public waters unsafe for all...that said I think there are better things to make noise about.

I take it you have a 10 inch auger?  lol  Not trying to make noise.  It's just something I wanted to discuss.  I fish the weeds.  Usually everybody's relaxed and you don't have to worry about taking a step back, cuz if you do happen to step in somebody's 6 incher, you aren't going to loose a leg.  But when "that guy" shows up with his 10 incher, everybody goes on edge.  You gotta watch your back and never take a step without looking.  I'm just wondering how many people catch fish they can't get up an 8 inch hole?
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 29, 2016, 03:12 PM »
Drill hole sizes appropriate to the fish you are targeting. I use a 6" and a 4" hand auger. Only bring out the 8" Eskimo when running tip-ups for lakers or northerns. Just common sense I think.

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 29, 2016, 03:24 PM »
I rarely see 10" holes, but apparently where we fished Sunday.......someone had one there on Saturday.  With a fresh dusting of snow covering everything.......it was a serious mine field!
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 29, 2016, 03:29 PM »
The bigger of my two augers is an 8". It's never failed to make a big enough hole but I have had big pike make themselves difficult to guide into the hole sometimes and a few times they've turned just right while being pulled up that they were momentarily stuck.

I doubt I'll ever need a larger auger enough to go and buy one, but there are fish around here that will make themselves difficult to land through an 8" hole.

A big bass will do its best to fill up the hole, as will a bowfin.

I had a big blue gill come in upside down, in a 6" hole and get stuck the other day.  There's a first for everything I guess.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline perchkiller123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 29, 2016, 03:59 PM »
I have a 10 inch gas jiffy. It has Ben sitting in my garage for about 3 years. Ever since I started using drill/ auger combination

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 29, 2016, 05:04 PM »
Drill hole sizes appropriate to the fish you are targeting. I use a 6" and a 4" hand auger. Only bring out the 8" Eskimo when running tip-ups for lakers or northerns. Just common sense I think.

I bought an 8" Eskimo hand-crank back in the 80s and other than replacing a knob and keeping a rotation of sharpened blades for it I've had to do nothing to it. About 10 years ago I found another auger, an Eskimo 7" at the recycle shed in Colchester and after putting a knob on it and getting a new set of blades so I'd always have one fresh and sharp it became part of my equipment load because with two augers my son and I can both be drilling holes at the same time.

I chose the 8" because it was big enough for most of the fishing I do. Shortly after I got it I pulled a 19 pound lake trout onto the ice, but I have had bass, pike and bowfin make themselves difficult sometimes.

As for the issue at hand I myself have never really been given reason to worry about the 10" augers out there. As was posted above, any hole drilled when the weather warms up is going to grow rather than shrink. I'd probably worry more if I were bringing little kids out with me, but my son is 25, so neither of us is in danger of being lost down a 10" auger hole.

Barring theft or some unforeseen catastrophe my two augers will probably be what I use until I'm dead and gone, and then will be passed to my son, so there's no worry that I'll be adding to the number of 10" holes out there.

Randy

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 29, 2016, 05:09 PM »
if 10 inch are legal ---do what you want--if other people dont like it---they can stay at home---i have been known to cut huge square holes with a chain saw---if you dont like it then dont fish on my lakes

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 29, 2016, 05:16 PM »
I have an Eskimo Barracuda 10" that's collecting dust in the shed.
Haven't wanted to use it for a few years now.

Keep in mind that I've been hand-cranking a 6" and 8" thru 1-2' of ice the past coupe of years.

My main reason for ditching the power was it just amounted to more weight I had to haul thru the snow and ice.
Then what if it just wouldn't start? except for keeping the blades sharp & clean, a hand auger rarely ever lets you down!

I allow anyone to fish on "my" lakes... ;D
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 29, 2016, 05:54 PM »
I'm on my third 10 inch auger, stay home if you don't like them. Are you with the Gov't trying to tell me what I can and can't do ??  :)

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 29, 2016, 05:59 PM »
Anyone who can't handle being around a ten inch holes shouldn't be on the ice.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 29, 2016, 06:15 PM »
If they made a 12 inch auger I'd buy it in a heart beat.  I've caught plenty of fish that barely fit through a ten inch hole.  Now if you are targeting small fish I can see where a ten could be a little much but in my neck of the woods you either go big or go home.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline stubborn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 29, 2016, 06:20 PM »
Why not just use a 3 point hitch post hole digger?
I fish better Hungry.

Offline spencer236

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 29, 2016, 06:40 PM »
jiffy makes a 9" auger, if that helps

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Feb 29, 2016, 06:50 PM »
I take it you have a 10 inch auger?  lol  Not trying to make noise.  It's just something I wanted to discuss.  I fish the weeds.  Usually everybody's relaxed and you don't have to worry about taking a step back, cuz if you do happen to step in somebody's 6 incher, you aren't going to loose a leg.  But when "that guy" shows up with his 10 incher, everybody goes on edge.  You gotta watch your back and never take a step without looking.  I'm just wondering how many people catch fish they can't get up an 8 inch hole?

With all due respect...

I have an 8 personally and one pike this year nearly didnt fit.  Point I am trying to make is it kills me hearing fishermen whine about things the anti's whine about...

There is no argument in saying someone shouldn't use a 10 because most fish will fit through an 8.  That isn't a valid argument or point at all.  It is a matter of personal preference and there are plenty of times I curse myself owning a 8" when my holes are freezing up. Or when your trying to get a pike or laker head into the hole when the ice is 20" thick, wish I had a 10 then.  Your being able to land most fish in a 6" or 8" hole has absolutely no bearing as to what choice myself or anyone esle should make in regards to auger size.  Moreover we all know that ALL auger holes stretch with the weather we've been having.

Again complainig about such a thing is what the anti's love.  They hate ALL holes in their back yards, "screwing up their kids ice rinks" ect...absolutely no different than guys complaining about trout with plastic worms in their stomachs right after they kill them?!?

Again don't take my comments personally just up for a debate on the subject...

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #24 on: Feb 29, 2016, 07:41 PM »
When it's 15 below, even with insulated covers. It's nice to start out with a 10" hole.
When I walleye fish I want no issues getting that fish through the hole.
Especially when it's 2 am.
It's hard enough to ice 15 lb + pike through a 10".
I use a 6" for everything else.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 29, 2016, 07:48 PM »
Why not just use a 3 point hitch post hole digger?
Man if I could figure out how to mount a PTO on my snow machine I would.  If I could do that might as well go with a 20 inch hole.😀
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 29, 2016, 07:54 PM »
I'm on my third 10 inch auger, stay home if you don't like them. Are you with the Gov't trying to tell me what I can and can't do ??  :)

Lol, no I'm not with the government.  I truly wanted to know if there's ever really a need for such a big hole........IN VERMONT.  Not Alaska.  Not Minnesota.  One guy made a good case for it, when he mentioned 20-30 lb lake trout in the NEK.  I don't see too many guys with them.  Seems like 8" is the most common around here.  So I'm wondering:  did the guy with a 10" used to have an 8" until one day he caught a monster and couldn't get it through the hole, so he went right out and "upgraded" to a 10"?  Or are most guys going right out the gate with the mentality that "bigger is better"?

I never said you can't use them, or if you happen to have one, that you should get rid of it.   What I said is basically I personally don't like fishing around them.  I know a lot of people I've met feel the same way.  I certainly wouldn't tell somebody to "stay home" if they have a 10" though.  I'm more interested in the reasoning behind it.  Is it common in Vermont to need that extra circumference?
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 29, 2016, 08:18 PM »
Alright, like I said I have a 10", and it is because it was used an cheap so I got it. Now, in the end though what is the big problem with it? Is 2" really worth getting mad about. Personally I kinda like having a ten for manny reasons. One is if you have a large trout, pike, or walleye on it really helps knowing that the fish shouldn't have much of a problem coming up the hole. I also like it cause I have more room to work with. Also how is having one in Alaska or Minnesota okay, but not here? We also have big lake tout and pike last I new, so it makes sense to have it here if you want.

Now, all of that said I do agree that if your going to drill a lot of holes for perch you should use something like a 6" for hole hopping.

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 29, 2016, 08:30 PM »
If you thought I was "mad", you got the wrong impression.  Not mad and not trying to fight about it.  But I will say that I think they are overkill in most situations around here.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:08 PM »
-i have been known to cut huge square holes with a chain saw-

used to know some people who built their shanty out of ice blocks every year. A few times I fished in the open hole they made when they cut their blocks- hey, if you walk around it with your bait in the water you're trolling.  ;D

Their ice-shanty was the warmest and most windproof one I've ever been in, and after the ice cleared a bit you could watch your tip ups through the walls.

Randy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.