Author Topic: Ice augers for Saskatchewan winters  (Read 2687 times)

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice augers for Saskatchewan winters
« on: Apr 04, 2021, 06:05 PM »
I had posted this earlier in the year but it got moved.  I’m putting it back here because I believe it’s location specific. In November I purchased the Eskimo pistol bit 8”.  I found a sale for the Milwaukee FUEL 18V brushless drill 1200 ft/lbs of torque that included a third 5ah battery.  After a season I’m very happy with my set up.  It’s super light, easy to transport, and cuts very well. One trip to Hitchcock Bay dulled my shaver blades.  “The Sharp Guy” honed them up good as new and they’ve been razors ever since. By the end of the year I was able to cut more than 30 holes with still having one battery with power.  Now I have a drill for my at home projects as well. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice augers for Saskatchewan winters
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2021, 09:36 PM »
 Same drill here on a clam plate with 8" finbore.  7 years with it and I'm not even sure where my honda strikemaster is anymore.   Put a 9 or 12 ah battery on that drill and it's a different beast altogether! 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2021, 07:25 AM »
Just a heads up ..Eskimo/ION had a bad batch of blades ...some boxes were supplied with an "extra" set of blades after they found out about the problem. If you call Eskimo they will send you a new set of blades . My buddy just had an issue with his ION 8" composite blades and after a two minute conversation with ION he received his blades 5 days later. The blades sharpness problems range from no cutting at all to having to apply some pressure to get it to cut and every thing in-between. Note you are unable to file a warrantee claim as the claim form requires a serial number in order for it to sent ..their are no serial numbers on the the augers or box to accomplish that so calling is the only option to get it resolved. Good luck with your set up

ESKIMO 800-345-6007

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=380266.msg4124741#msg4124741
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2021, 10:49 AM »
Just a heads up ..Eskimo/ION had a bad batch of blades ...some boxes were supplied with an "extra" set of blades after they found out about the problem. If you call Eskimo they will send you a new set of blades . My buddy just had an issue with his ION 8" composite blades and after a two minute conversation with ION he received his blades 5 days later. The blades sharpness problems range from no cutting at all to having to apply some pressure to get it to cut and every thing in-between. Note you are unable to file a warrantee claim as the claim form requires a serial number in order for it to sent ..their are no serial numbers on the the augers or box to accomplish that so calling is the only option to get it resolved. Good luck with your set up

ESKIMO 800-345-6007

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=380266.msg4124741#msg4124741

Thanks for the heads up.  After getting them sharpened, they cut excellently. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline bowl450

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2021, 11:05 AM »
Im looking for an electric Ice auger, I like the Jiffy E6 
is this a good buy ?

Offline Dlzfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2021, 11:17 AM »
Ive found the cutting blades on electrics cant handle sand in the ice like the chipper blades on my gas jiffy did. Couple holes at Dief out by Elbow and my 8" ION went from pulling itself through the ice to needing serious pressure to cut. Havent had that issue elsewhere but if you only fish Dief probably worth sticking with a gas.

Now if only I didnt blow up my Jiffy on the NSR last year  ;D

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2021, 11:20 AM »
Im looking for an electric Ice auger, I like the Jiffy E6 
is this a good buy ?

I would not do it...turns counter clockwise ..its a unicorn

from FAQ

Can a drill from another manufacturer be used with a Jiffy® Powerhead?
No, it will not work.  Only Jiffy® Power Ice Drills use high-speed, single reduction gearboxes.  These gearboxes turn the ice drills counter-clockwise.  All other drills turn clockwise.

https://www.jiffyonice.com/Shop/Power-Ice-Drills/Electric/E6-Lightning,-Model-56
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Dlzfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2021, 11:47 AM »
I would not do it...turns counter clockwise ..its a unicorn

from FAQ

Can a drill from another manufacturer be used with a Jiffy® Powerhead?
No, it will not work.  Only Jiffy® Power Ice Drills use high-speed, single reduction gearboxes.  These gearboxes turn the ice drills counter-clockwise.  All other drills turn clockwise.

https://www.jiffyonice.com/Shop/Power-Ice-Drills/Electric/E6-Lightning,-Model-56

Is that a big concern in Sask? Jiffy is by far the most common brand i see for sale. Assuming the gas power heads turn the same way.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2021, 11:50 AM »
I don't see where that makes any difference. Which one is right or wrong? Chrysler always had reverse thread lugs, never made a difference...
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2021, 12:25 PM »
Lots of favorable reviews for the strikemaster 40v.  Drill auger is the way I went and 7 years later I couldn't be happier.

Offline bowl450

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2021, 12:47 AM »
thanks for the info

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2021, 05:09 PM »
I use my clam plate for ice up to ~2ft. Beyond that I pull out the gas auger. Both are 8" but I wouldn't mind getting a 10" for the gas one this year. There are some lakes that will dull blades much faster so I keep a spare set in the truck. 

Clam plate with a spring attached so the handle isn't a floppy pos.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2021, 05:58 PM »

Clam plate with a spring attached so the handle isn't a floppy pos.

I use a castration ring for the slop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.