Author Topic: Fishing Lake & area.  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Fishing Lake & area.
« on: Jan 24, 2021, 04:48 PM »
Any new reports for Fishing Lake, Margo, Whitesand / Pelican, Stony Lake? ???

WW

Offline Wanderin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fishing Lake & area.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2021, 10:06 PM »
Hey Water Wolf
Was out on Pelican to check shack today.
Drilled few holes and only stayed about a hour but caught 2 small pike.
Had been fairly slow last few weeks so hopefully gettin better now.
As far as Stoney, there were half dozen shacks off boatlaunch area but now only 2.
Never heard much about Margo or Fishin Lake tho.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2021, 12:18 AM »
Margo and pelican have been slow, haven’t been on Stoney since first ice. Tried theodore today and slow as well. I Will be back out on pelican, Stoney or Margo next Monday/Tuesday when have days off again. Got a week to decide what lake I will get skunked on way fishing’s beenlately 🤣

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2021, 04:55 PM »
Wanderin, welcome to the SK part of ice shanty. Good going on catching the 2 pike. :tipup:

I heard recently that Fishing Lake, has been slow to no action at all.

Big Burk, how was Stony at first ice for you?
Slow, or decent?

I hope to give the Fishing Lake area a try again sometime, just not sure what lake or when. :-\

WW

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2021, 04:21 PM »
Bump - Any recent reports on fishing lake?  Access, travel on ice, fish active or slow?

I have never fished the lake before myself, but i have friends that have had great luck out there in the summer over numerous recent years.

How is the lake generally for ice fishing?  On hot open water years does that translate to decent ice fishing seasons?  Or is the ice fishing game a different story out there?

Considering maybe checking it out this upcoming weekend if it was reported to be active...  I have reduced my overall ice fishing trips in favor of trying to get out to lakes i am most likely to have better chances at catching fish.  I am willing to travel farther to get to destination lakes, as opposed to short drives and sitting on the ice for 8-10 hours with low likelihood of success and depending almost entirely on luck.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2021, 09:05 PM »
Hi ggpr,
I don't have any recent, ice fishing reports or what lake access has been like for the month of Feb.
I do know that Fishing Lake is generally a good lake during the open water season, but, generally slows alot come winter. :P

The ice fishing is sometimes ok as soon as the ice is safe to walk on, slows for most of the winter, and then picks up a bit by mid to late March.

For me pike have been the main catch, with an average of 1 to 2 fish a trip. Walleye are even more stubborn in winter and I am happy to get 1 top side. 
Perch are also present, but, are too small to angle for, 3 - 4 inch fish are the average. There are also white suckers. I have only caught 1 a few years ago in the open water from shore.

I might try Fishing Lake myself sometime this month as it one of my closer lakes. If your coming from a long ways, I might recommend trying it a bit later on in March, so you have the best chance of catching better numbers of pike and walleye. :tipup:

WW

Offline pawlukja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2021, 04:38 PM »
Spent a few hours on Fishing Lake today with zero success but had to leave at 2pm so we missed what's usually the best time of the day for this Lake. Tried near Murray Beach and a bit at North Shore. Everything looked white today and we couldn't tell where the big banks were so couldn't make it to the spots I normally try. If you can see where you are going it would be fairly easy to get almost anywhere you want. If the ice was a inch thicker I would've needed my extension.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.