Author Topic: Lightest 2-man flip?  (Read 2517 times)

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lightest 2-man flip?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2024, 12:57 PM »
I have an old Bass Pro 2 man flip hut - the tub is getting quite worn out and I've been constantly plastic welding it.  Going to be looking for a new tub, but haven't found anything in Canada. 

Also wondering what the lightest 2 man flip hut is nowadays?  I don't think anything exists now that is as light as this old hut is.  This is a follow-up of this post a while ago that I never resolved:  https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=388761.0

The Pro-Bass flip-over huts were direct knock-offs (copies) of the Clam flip-over shelters.  You should be able to cross reference your flip-over to an older Clam flip-over.  Once you have done that you can buy replacement tub and fabric form www.clam replacement parts/tubs.com.  A few years ago I replaced the fabric for my single-man and two-man Clam huts.

Offline MichaelAngelo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2024, 08:59 AM »
On my Eskimo Sierra Thermal comment above:  Since I decided to not use the seats to save weight, I also did not install any of the seating framework.  Did not weigh it, guessing I saved more than the 30lbs I mentioned.
It reduced lots of wt for the load, unloading.  The padded folding chair I use, comfy and handy when fishing outside a set up shelter.

What do you think the weight is without the seats?

Offline MichaelAngelo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 18, 2024, 09:00 AM »
I have gone to a hub style shelter.  I will never go back to the flip up due to weight.  We transom light and mobile to move move move.

Love it - but isn't setting the hub up and down every time you move spots a pain?  I've dealt with hubs that always seem to tangle then break rods.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2024, 10:06 AM »
Newer hubs don't tangle nearly as bad as the older ones. As far as being mobile? Not with any kind of wind.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Flatrocker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 26, 2024, 07:39 AM »
Michael Angelo...
I used a bathroom scale to weigh seats & framework that I didn't install.
Ballpark weight of shelter is 45lbs.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 26, 2024, 04:06 PM »
I think Eskimo should've tried harder with their crossovers. The idea was innovative but worked poorly in practice. With heavy duty tubs and insulated tents it's gonna take some innovation to bring weights down.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Feb 27, 2024, 09:08 PM »
The Pro-Bass flip-over huts were direct knock-offs (copies) of the Clam flip-over shelters.  You should be able to cross reference your flip-over to an older Clam flip-over.  Once you have done that you can buy replacement tub and fabric form www.clam replacement parts/tubs.com.  A few years ago I replaced the fabric for my single-man and two-man Clam huts.

Not knock offs.  Clam built and "white labeled" for bass pro/cabelas.  Neither of which manufacture flip overs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.